INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Rip problem  (Read 2013 times)

aksim

• Recent member
CD Rip problem
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:20:21 am »

So there I was, merrily ripping away my cd collection on my new PC and at the end of the day listining to my music on my:

Dell XPS 8100 / Win 7 Ultimate / MC 15.0.163
Iomega 2tb esata back up
Ayre QB-9
Ayre K5xe
Mark Levinson 432
Revel Studio 2

Day 1, configure system and software to Computer Audiophile instructions - Exclusive mode, WASAPI, secure rip, FLAC-level 6, 24 bit, no resampling ...
Start ripping and end of day play back - lovely!
All is well!

Day 2, continue ripping but at end of day Brandenberg Concerto will not rip and MC locks up - have to use task manager to end MC. Try ripping Brandenberg on other Vista PC and all is well.

Day 3, continue ripping music but Brandenberg puts CD drive into a high speed mode that cannot be shut down. Task manager won't open and Win7 shut down locks up - after ~20 min. pull plug!

Day 4, play back of ripped music is corrupt. Everything recoreded after day 1 has hiss/stutter/reduced volume output. CD's played in the CD drive continue to produce excellent playback as well as Internet radio.

I have checked all settings but cannot find the fault so I suspect either computer error or, more likely, operator error.

Please offer any guidance you may have short of cliff jumping!

Thank you,

Stan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: CD Rip problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 09:14:51 am »

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like most things are working.

If the CD doesn't work on one PC but does on another, then the drive on the first machine may have a problem.  Drives are inexpensive, so I might consider replacing it.

The CD may also be scratched or otherwise flawed.

aksim

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:25 am »

Thanks for the welcome JimH,

I'm also thinking it is a CD drive problem.

Only issue I have is this is a brand new machine/drive (5 days old)!

Also forgot to mention that it is a BlueRay,DVD,CD drive - so a little more expensive.

Now that I think of it, I may just add another CD drive in the empty bay.
Any suggestions for a high quality CD drive would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:55:03 am »

Is it an AMD processor?

Is this problem similar?
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60918.0

aksim

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 11:51:39 am »

Jim,

I have an Intel processor (i5)

Yep, I saw that post also!

Thanks,

Stan

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 07:31:26 pm »

Adding a second CD only drive could help.  I have two optical drives in my desktop PC.  An old Plextor CDR (CD only, no DVD) and a stock CD/DVD RW drive that came with the computer.  I keep dragging the Plextor along to each new PC.

There are some scratched discs that the Plextor CD drive will read but the CD/DVD drive will not.  And vice versa.  I've had some scratched CDs that the CD/DVD combo drive will read but the Plextor CD drive will not.  Tis good to have two different drives for those cases.

I'm not sure why, or even if true, but I've suspected that the different laser used in CD drives vs. CD/DVD combo drives is part of the reason.  Maybe some scratches are easier to read through with the CD laser and other scratches are easier to read through with the CD/DVD laser.  I don't know.  It's just something I've suspected.  There's so many variables though in comparing the drives and their ripping capabilities that it's hard to know what or why.

It could also be a case that new firmware for the drive may fix the problem.  I had a CD blue screen Win2000 back in the days when they thought it was a good idea to produce intentionally defective CDs to thwart copying.  A firmware update for the Plextor drive fixed that.

I don't know why your other rips from the first day would end up with hiss or stutter or reduced volume.  I can't think of an explanation for that.  Odd.

aksim

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:37 am »

Thanks for the info Frobozz,

Well the hiss, click problem is solved!
I switched to WASAPI Event Style and now all music plays perfectly!

I think I will add a CD drive to the empty bay to solve the rip problem as not I have 3 CD's that cannot rip on my new PC

Thanks all for your help.

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up