INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Problems Go Here (and a status report)  (Read 8014 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Video Problems Go Here (and a status report)
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:55:00 pm »

[Edit]  With build 101, video is working with Red October set, with the possible exception of XP installations.  Microsoft's "Merit based" DirectShow selection will also now work.  I'll lock this thread now.

I want to try to recap where we are with video and Directshow.  I'll also lock other video threads and ask for reports concerning build 99 to go here.

So here we go.

1.  We've recently introduced a feature called Red October[.  It was a big project, and it will eventually make life easier for the vast majority of our users.  No more DirectShow configuration needed.

2.  I pushed it out a few days too soon.  I'm sorry.

3.  People who like to configure DirectShow were unhappy to find that this ability was now broken.

4.  We hope to have manual configuration working again in a build or two.  Right now, you can add a filter to the "Whitelist".  It may or may not work in build 99.

5.  It appears that most video will work in build 99 IF you set Red October on (in MC's options for video).

Fire away with questions/problems.

Sauzee

Re: Video Problems Go Here (and a status report)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »

See here for the cause of no mkv playback issue and the workaround (thanks glynor).

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64313.0

maid

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 06:19:43 pm »

Hi I am having a problem with my htpc.   Red October on MKV gives DirectShow Unsepcified error Code. turn it off and they work.

My office machine same setup win7 same codecs RO on mkv plays?

Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

sunfire7

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »

With build .99 now RO is working for me, with .97 was not the case, so is an improvement, but when I disable RO to use my old settings of filters, this error appears:

I didnt change anything from the filters section (ffdshow audio and video, j river bitrate monitor and haali media spliter, madvr), it used to work before. I also have PCM selected.  
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

lazy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:05 am »

Yepp, 99 fixed my problems as well. Thanks guys ! And it also fixed the problem I got with VLC as well even though Glynor said that it was not very likely that MC has caused this. If its interesting I can provide more details on my setup.

With build .99 now RO is working for me, with .97 was not the case, so is an improvement, but when I disable RO to use my old settings of filters, this error appears:

I didnt change anything from the filters section (ffdshow audio and video, j river bitrate monitor and haali media spliter, madvr), it used to work before. I also have PCM selected.  

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:45:07 am »

With .97 I was able to switch off RO and play files. With RO switched off in .99 I now get the unspecified error message for what appears to be all of my video files.

I can watch video if I have RO switched on, but MC crashes when I start TV. That is provided I have run another file in MC before I switch to TV. If TV is the first thing I use it works fine.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:29 am »

Yepp, 99 fixed my problems as well. Thanks guys ! And it also fixed the problem I got with VLC as well even though Glynor said that it was not very likely that MC has caused this. If its interesting I can provide more details on my setup.

Wow!  That is interesting.  I didn't think it was impossible (anything is possible), but that seemed pretty unlikely...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 11:56:37 am »

I went back to 87 and it worked fine, installed the "fixed" 99 and it is giving me "Direct show: Unspecified error code=0x80004005"

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:02:46 pm »

Any build past 87 for me will not let me view videos, with or without RO on, or bitstreaming, or anything.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »

Wow, nice, but doesnt solve my problem. Any build past 87 for me will not let me view videos, with or without RO on, or bitstreaming, or anything.

They're well aware that it isn't working for everyone, and they're working on it.  They'd like reports on specifically what works and does not, and if it does not, what settings you are using (and maybe system configuration information), posted in that other thread.

If you're willing to help, great.  If not, that's fine too.  Go back to the working build and wait it out.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 03:39:09 pm »

My TV recordings (from Hauppauge WinTV QAM) have trouble with 10.0.99.  I didn't change any settings..... just installed .99.  Video way out of synch with audio.  Also my receiver (SPDIF from MC) does not show Dolby decoding anymore with these videos...just showing PCM.  Here the data on the files:

.TS file (MPEG-2 Transport)
-1920 x 1080
-29.97 FPS
-20000 kbps bit rate (var)
-Dolby AC-3 (6 channel)
-48 KHZ

)p(

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 04:07:04 pm »

I went back to 87 and it worked fine, installed the "fixed" 99 and it is giving me "Direct show: Unspecified error code=0x80004005"

I have the exact same error with avchd lite mts files from a panasonic tz7 with or without Red October turned on. This is the first version of mc I tried with Red October. In previous versions and in my current mc 15 setup on the same machine they play fine with the same settings (source=automatic, filter=ffdshow video and audio decoder, renderer=evr)

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 06:32:56 pm »

went to record uaefa final last night to find mc no longer wants the live tv to work on 99.  rolled back to 86 and still no luck, just blank screen.  could be something to do with filters???  could be unrelated as MC now crashes on selection of configuration of tv device when it didn't a few weeks ago, just thought I would mention it.

craig

highly likely just a device problem.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

Does anyone know what output format RO is using in FFDSHOW's video decoder?  It seems like my AMD GPU's hardware deinterlacing isn't working, and I think it used to.  I don't actually watch much interlaced content anymore, but I'm going through some old episodes of 3rd Rock (brilliant show) which are interlaced and they look like crap.

It has been a while, but I'm pretty sure the last time I checked one out, the hardware deinterlacer seemed to be working pretty well.  It also works fairly well on interlaced SD content in SageTV.  But right now it doesn't seem to be in MC.

I'm using EVR, which should allow it to be enabled, but I think the output format has to be NV12 (and I'm not sure about the "set interlace flag", that might need to be set too).  I'm really no expert though, and would be open to suggestions.  What I'd like is for the hardware deinterlacer to work on interlaced sources (especially SD ones) and leave progressive sources alone.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 10:53:53 pm »

Hmmm... Perhaps these files are just messed up?  They look interlaced, but I can't seem to get them to deinterlace properly, even with MPC.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 12:42:58 am »

Deinterlacing is set to ON in FFDSHOW (useing YADIF and Double Frame Rate) which is OK as SW goes under RO.  My old West Wing stuff looks fine, does any of your other Interlaced stuff have issues?  (Hard to guess from here without a sample)!
JRiver CEO Elect

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 01:49:57 am »

My kids have watched a bunch of interlaced cartoons and they all look fine.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 06:56:33 am »

FYI - V99 with RO and "Use Additional Customer Filters.." has been all good for me (back to the filters I like and no crashes etc)  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

baba100

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:17 am »

hi all,

I install the MC 16.0.99 on clean system (win7 x86)

1. now like i mentions before any MKV files start to play with black screen! only if i click on the slider (back or forward) i can see picture
2. when I don't use any RO options and want to play movies, I get the error message "directshow unspecific error"
the only way to play movie is to check on the RO, and I don't like it

3. I'm using HEB subtitle, with RO on I get "gibberish" character

guys I'm sure peoples like your "RO", but I like my system as I configure it, why RO need to change it.?

what going on?

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 09:19:49 am »

Hmmm... Perhaps these files are just messed up?  They look interlaced, but I can't seem to get them to deinterlace properly, even with MPC.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.
If the source of the files is internet then the most obvious answer is that someone has messed up the encoding and originally interlaced video is encoded as progressive without de-interlacing thus breaking the interlaced fields. (Without seeing video I'm just guessing of course)

shAf

bitstreaming vs PCM
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 10:21:18 am »

My apologies -- this isn't exacly a "video problem" reply ... but I did post my problem at the build 99 notification thread, which (in brief) is about 99 breaking my efforts to bitstream HD audio, rather than to depend on MC16 sending a properly encoded PCM stream.  I'll elaborate on that problem and/or include additional info here if asked ...

My primary reason for choosing bitstreaming is the amount of trouble I've had in the past with filters and all other settings (...which JR is trying to make easier with RO).  It seemed the more filters I tried to make work, the more problems I had ... and on top of that, there is no clear consensus regarding which filters+settings actually work, and/or if they'll actually work with all sources of HD audio.  Hence, I have configured MC16 (and its filters) to do nothing, and instead expect my AVR to decode the bitstream.  In my mind, it's the simplest and thereby the best solution ... plus is works (for build 97, but not 99).

Don't get me wrong ... I imagine RO is a welcome addition to most, but someone's going to need to include a lot of justification before I jump on board.  That is, I'd like to, but I don't yet see the upside ...
  • what are the advantages of PCM over bitsteaming HD audio?  Other than the MC features mentioned at the wiki's "Audio Connection Type", there's nothing there to conclude any upside while my AVR is equally equipped and I'm not having problems.  Granted, not all are, but it seems to be an inappropriate assumption for JR to believe MC+Ro is all that's needed ...
  • Most AVRs allow for checking the audio throughput for knowing what's going on ... is there anything similar with MC16+RO?
  • RO came to my installation (build 97) configured as the default, and broke my setup until I disabled it and reconfigured for bitreaming.  IMO, RO should still be in beta, let alone not be the default ... which isn't to say it shouldn't eventually become the default ...
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be a single-click option for selecting bitstreaming over PCM.  That is, selecting the option to 'bitstream' over 'PCM' should disable RO, should it not?  Similarly, to enable 'PCM' should also allow RO(?)  Regarding 99 not working, if RO is disabled, it seems that there must be something else that should also be disabled (?)

It seems there should be 3 radio buttons:

• PCM and enable RO (which enables RO options, if any) ... or
  • PCM and disable RO (allowing all settings) ... or
  • Bitstream and disable RO (which should allow for disabling all PCM settings)

Lastly, I don't want to leave without thanking the RO team -- it certainly must be a lot of work!  I will be keeping an eye on RO and the MC features that are enabled by opting for PCM. However and until there are clear advantages, it does need to work while allowing those who are currently bitstreaming happily.
:)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »

Hope I'm in the right area,
But in couple builds previous, without red October feature, i was able to have DVD audio go through the directshow mixer and control audio there, but now it is routed to J river's mixer. Is there a way to bypass J river mixer again, and still able to use WASAPI through directshow? will it be an option in next builds?
Thanks
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:47 am »

I have to disable RO completely to get wmv files to play (directshow error), but I have to enable it for mkv's. In addition, I have to enable RO and disable advanced filters in order to play avi files because the audio filter won't connect (it worked in .86).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 09:45:55 am »

I have to disable RO completely to get wmv files to play (directshow error), but I have to enable it for mkv's.

There have been other reports of issues with "Windows Media" types of files with the current version of RO including asf and mts files (though that user was able to use wmv files).  I don't have many to test.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 09:47:32 am »

Hope I'm in the right area,

You are.

Are you trying to Bitstream audio digitally to a receiver, or are you outputting PCM?

If you are Bitstreaming, make sure to enable bitstreaming in Options -> Video -> Audio for Video -> Connection Type.  If not and it is set to PCM, then I believe if you set it as "Same as device used in audio" that it will follow the audio output mode defined in Options -> Audio -> Audio Output.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: bitstreaming vs PCM
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 10:18:22 am »

• what are the advantages of PCM over bitsteaming HD audio?  Other than the MC features mentioned at the wiki's "Audio Connection Type", there's nothing there to conclude any upside while my AVR is equally equipped and I'm not having problems.  Granted, not all are, but it seems to be an inappropriate assumption for JR to believe MC+Ro is all that's needed ...
  • Most AVRs allow for checking the audio throughput for knowing what's going on ... is there anything similar with MC16+RO?
  • RO came to my installation (build 97) configured as the default, and broke my setup until I disabled it and reconfigured for bitreaming.  IMO, RO should still be in beta, let alone not be the default ... which isn't to say it shouldn't eventually become the default ...
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be a single-click option for selecting bitstreaming over PCM.  That is, selecting the option to 'bitstream' over 'PCM' should disable RO, should it not?  Similarly, to enable 'PCM' should also allow RO(?)  Regarding 99 not working, if RO is disabled, it seems that there must be something else that should also be disabled (?)

Bitstreaming works fine on my HTPC with Red October turned ON (AMD Radeon HD 6870 HDMI out to a Denon AVR, Catalyst 11.3 drivers).  They are designed to work together.  If turning on Red October breaks bitstreaming on your system, that is a bug that they need to address (one of many right now).  They will probably need more information on your specific setup so that they can track down the problem.  They are absolutely NOT intended to be mutually exclusive.  The "one switch" idea you are looking for is intended to be Options -> Video -> Audio for Video -> Connection Type.  You will likely also need to set the Playback Device in the same section to point explicitly to your audio device, and not "Same as Audio".

Jim admitted that this build was made public "probably too soon".  They do have an issue that it is hard to get good reports of what is working and what isn't unless you release it to the wider community.  There were still issues reported in the Beta builds with the system, but as of build 97 it did seem to work for most of us with the most common media types (and a variety of different audio setups, both bitstreaming and non-bitstreaming).  However, most of us on the Beta Team are fairly sophisticated users, which means there is a somewhat limited range of testable systems (for example, a very high percentage of us are all on Windows 7, for much the same reasons that we are on the Beta Team for MC).  It is a bit of a chicken and an egg scenario... But, the entire point of RO is that it is intended to be on by default to address these types of concerns.

Lastly, since you asked... The main benefit (as I see it) to decoding to PCM on the PC rather than bitstreaming is that you can do the "VideoClock trick".  I might get a few of these details slightly wrong, but the gist is correct... The problem this is designed to solve is "judder".  When you are watching a video, if the refresh rate of the monitor doesn't exactly match (or is a clear multiple of) the frame rate of the video, the system cannot actually play the video frames timed correctly.  It has to do one of two basic things: drop (or replicate) frames of video occasionally or slightly speed/slow the audio to make up for the slightly inaccurate framerate.  When audio playback happens normally on a PC, the "master clock" that everything is slaved to is typically the audio device's clock, because it is historically the most accurate clock in the system, and when you are bitstreaming audio, of course, the PC doesn't actually control the timing of the audio.

In NTSC-land this often isn't a big deal (if you aren't a stickler for perfection), because the refresh rate of our monitors is typically near 60Hz (or a multiple of that, preferably 120Hz), and NTSC video is 29.97 fps, which is pretty close to 30, which divides into 60 just fine.  "Film sources" are more troublesome, which is why 120Hz monitors are nice, because 24 goes into 120 cleanly, but there is a fairly decent "pulldown pattern" already established to handle conversion from 24p->60Hz.  They've been dealing with this in broadcast television for years and years, after all.  The trouble REALLY begins if you are in PAL-land.  Those poor people have 50 and 100Hz monitors, and are forced by the dominance of American media companies to often deal with 30/60 content, and if they actually have a 24p source (and not one artificially sped up to 25p), the pulldown pattern for 24p -> 50Hz is VERY ugly.  You can't really solve the "big" pulldown problem without repeating frames or running your monitor at a clear multiple of the video framerate (so 24p on a 60Hz monitor is never going to look "right").  But, if you are simply playing a 30p "source" on a 60Hz monitor, or a 24p source on a 24Hz (or 120Hz) monitor, it should look "mostly" right because no pulldown pattern is required.

In reality, it isn't so simple, because your monitor isn't actually 60 or 120Hz, it is something like 59.9765423Hz; and the NTSC frame rate isn't 30, it is 29.97, and "24p" rate is 23.976 really.  All of these are "close enough" for most people to not even notice the difference.  However, even in NTSC-land playing "30p" video, the difference between 29.97fps and whatever random 59.99625488 refresh rate your monitor happens to be running at, slowly builds up over time.  Eventually, the video gets to be "ahead" of the audio by around a full frame.  So, the normal "DirectShow method" used by most filters is to occasionally drop frames of video to keep the audio and video in sync.

So, the "other way" to solve this problem is to dynamically scale the speed of the audio playback and guarantee that every frame of video will play for the "same" amount of time on-screen.  So, essentially you are "slaving" the playback to the monitor's refresh rate rather than the audio hardware's clock.  That's what the "ReClock" filter for DirectShow does, and that's what the "VideoClock" feature of MC does.  It smooths out the video by dynamically scaling the audio of a file, on the fly, rather than adding and dropping frames of video.  But, to do it's magic, you can't bitstream because then MC can't control the audio playback at all.*

There are some other benefits to decoding to PCM (mainly that you can do DSP-magic on the audio stream in MC, which may be more powerful than what you have in your receiver), but if you have a nice-quality receiver this may be of lesser importance to you.

EDIT: I edited the above a few times trying to make it more clear.  I think it is pretty good now.

* Technically, you CAN bitstream even in this scenario, but not in the way that most people mean when they say "bitstreaming".  MC has to have access to the raw, decoded PCM data in order to do the VideoClock magic.  It can, then, bitstream this result out via HDMI (or SPDIF) but you will not be getting the pristine unaltered source audio streamed, and your receiver won't light up the "DTS-MA" light on its display.  Instead of bitstreaming DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD, it will typically be bitstreaming PCM audio over the HDMI (or maybe re-encoding it to AC3 and bitstreaming that if you use a SPDIF connection).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:22:04 am »

There are some other benefits to decoding to PCM (mainly that you can do DSP-magic on the audio stream in MC, which may be more powerful than what you have in your receiver), but if you have a nice-quality receiver this may be of lesser importance to you.

By the way, it IS of lesser importance to me.  I run my nice Panasonic plasma at 24Hz when I watch 24p content (and I care about bothering to tag the files correctly), and I live in NTSC-land so 30p/60i sources are no problem.  The more minor trouble of the imperfect refresh rates and frame rates doesn't matter to me at all.  I hardly ever see it now, and I never saw it at all before discussing the issue ad nauseam with Nathan back in the day.

I bitstream on my HTPC, and keep the VideoClock feature turned off.  It is fine, and it is much easier to deal with.  I don't have to worry about ripping my discs to multi-channel FLAC, and I don't have to worry about flaky filters that can't properly decode DTS-MA unless you use weird kludges copying files from commercial BluRay playback software you might not own.  I just rip straight to source audio, and bitstream and let my AVR handle it.

When I play back on other systems that output PCM, there is always an AC3 stream embedded (or something) and those systems don't need to be high fidelity anyway.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 01:08:00 pm »

I run my nice Panasonic plasma at 24Hz when I watch 24p content

Glynor,
Have you figured out a way for the Panny screen to display the refresh rate on the incoming hdmi? Mine happily confirms it is getting 1080p every time the rate changes, but stubbornly refuses to show anything to do with Hertz. Mine is a few years old now - a th-50pz81. Makes figuring out if the video card/amp etc are playing nice very difficult. I'm not sure if this is only something visible in engineering/service menus or what?

SBR

PS great explanation for the do/don't of bitstreaming.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 01:18:27 pm »

If the source of the files is internet then the most obvious answer is that someone has messed up the encoding and originally interlaced video is encoded as progressive without de-interlacing thus breaking the interlaced fields. (Without seeing video I'm just guessing of course)

I think that's what it is, after reviewing the situation further.  These are one of my few, rare sets of files that I didn't encode myself.

I should remux them and set the interlaced bit, but I'm probably too lazy.  They're basically junk-files anyway.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 01:19:26 pm »

Glynor,
Have you figured out a way for the Panny screen to display the refresh rate on the incoming hdmi?

I think mine will show it on an advanced "status" screen somewhere, but I haven't really looked.  I have a P50VT25 and it does support 24Hz refresh rate just fine though.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »

Thanks Glynor,
all seems to be working now, i've disabled red october now have full directshow audio access.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 05:20:24 am »

As of version 100, I now get unspecified error for all files with or without RO on. Previously I only got that message with RO off.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 07:23:37 am »

As of version 100, I now get unspecified error for all files with or without RO on. Previously I only got that message with RO off.
Try rebooting.  What OS?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 08:40:49 am »

I'd already rolled back to .87. But I installed .100 again and then rebooted but had all the same problems. I've gone back to .87 again for now.

I use XP.

baba100

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:28 am »

have the same problem - under win7 x86, movies can play only under RO...

version .86/.87 is the last stable one.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Problem with DTS-HD MA containing files
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »

Not sure what to make of this. With RO on, only about half of my DTS-HD MA mkv files play. The others show the first frame, and then quit playback with a DirectShow Error: Playback could not be started on the selected Audio Output... etc.

Additional Info:

With RO off or with "RO+additional" mode, attempting to play back the video crashes the program altogether.

I've currently got bitstreaming on, and on my test machine, the core DTS track should play via spdif, since there's no HDMI connection.

The videos still don't work with PCM selected instead.

All the problem files play back flawlessly in MPC-HC

All the problem files used to play back flawlessly in MC.

A log has been emailed to Matt.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problem with DTS-HD MA containing files
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »

fitbrit, thanks for the log.

It looks like WASAPI is failing to open for SPDIF passthrough.

What if you play audio at 5.1 (enable Dolby Digital encoding on DSP Studio > Output Format)?  That should open the soundcard the same way, so it's a good test.

Also could you try DirectSound (in Options > Audio) as a test?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up