INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watched check mark for regular videos?  (Read 11078 times)

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
Watched check mark for regular videos?
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »

I have a few seasons of different shows on my computer and its few and far between when i can watch them and often forget what episode i left off on. is there an option to have a watched check mark in the Customize View option?

also, im trying to get in the rules on customize view to also include a folder, but not solely use that folder. every time i put file name contains and the folder, only video in that folder, and not anywhere else, is shown. how do i rule that?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Watched check mark for regular videos?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 08:22:36 pm »

I have a few seasons of different shows on my computer and its few and far between when i can watch them and often forget what episode i left off on. is there an option to have a watched check mark in the Customize View option?

I don't think so (or the one that should be there doesn't seem to work properly). But there are other ways to distinguish watched from not watched video...

• Change the file caption to an expression that adds your own flag based on whether or not [Last Played]=[not played];

• Display [Last Played] prominently in the Info Panel (e.g., immediately below the cover on the right);

• Add an Expression Category to the view: If(IsEqual([Last Played], not played), Not Watched, Watched)—so you can choose to view Watched, Not Watched or both;

• Based on the same test, make separate views for Watched and Not Watched.

also, im trying to get in the rules on customize view to also include a folder, but not solely use that folder. every time i put file name contains and the folder, only video in that folder, and not anywhere else, is shown. how do i rule that?

"OR"  ;)

I'd post a swell illustration, but it seems my image posting privileges have been revoked.  ::)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:56 am »

11. Changed: Theater View watched marks were not working reliably for non-Netflix files.
12. Changed: Theater View watch marks are only shown for videos longer than 20 minutes.
Would it be possible to make this configurable please? I'd like to disable these watch marks.

Thanks.
Yes, please allow us to turn these off, hopefully on a 'per view' basis. My theatre view video view is just a sea of distracting white ticks as most of the library has been watched at least once. I have a 'Just In' view that keeps files imported within the past seven days, or not watched yet, here, ticks could be useful, but in the main film browser, they're just an unsightly, unnecessary distraction.

Cheers,
-marko

rick.ca

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 01:48:27 pm »

Aside from the fact it should be optional, a design that has this thing set and then not exposed so it can be removed or changed by the user is flawed. Most of my videos now have this meaningless mark because of my testing of Red October. There doesn't seem to be any way to remove them. Why is it not just based on the existence of a [Last Played] value?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:29 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Theater View watch marks only appear for Netflix videos.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:19 pm »

Matt, thank you.

-marko.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:03:44 pm »

Thanks Matt!!
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

Next build:
Changed: Theater View watch marks only appear for Netflix videos.

Ack, no!  I love them for my TV Shows!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »

Completely agree on a per-viewscheme basis being the best approach :)
I don't want them on my films or some TV (Monty Python & other random comedy stuff), but for stuff where moving out of episode order confuses things, these are handy.

-Leezer-

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »

Ack, no!  I love them for my TV Shows!

Ack, yes! Man up and add whatever you want to your caption expression.  ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:17:46 pm »

Ack, yes! Man up and add whatever you want to your caption expression.  ;)

No where NEAR as convenient as the dots.

I say: Just make it optional or turn it back on for [Media Sub Type] = TV Show.   ;)

PS.  More importantly, my wife was very happy to see them return, and if they're "broken again", I'll never hear the end of it, and neither will the dog.

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:55:46 am »

I also don't see why this have to be decided in terms of all - none - some. The user should be allowed to make his own decision. Heck, I may want to flag manually certain stuff by pressing a key or whatever.

And rick, easy with the expressions and captions and other stuff like that. That's text flagging. A graphic symbol will win easily compared to something that one needs to read (or even more complex - understand logic to the likes of "in what view am I right now?). Granted the quality of that symbol is subject to improvement until it becomes less intrusive and more pleasing to the eye (which means, wait, it's coming... skinning); it's scary nonetheless how this expressions-everywhere school of thought seems to obliterate everything in its path when it comes to MC.

rick.ca

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 02:36:07 am »

A graphic symbol will win easily compared to something that one needs to read...

Wow. It seems you'll go to any length to lament the Theatre View in your mind that will never be. What could be easier to read than a "•"?  ::)

it's scary nonetheless how this expressions-everywhere school of thought seems to obliterate everything in its path when it comes to MC.

That's right. Real men prefer expressions! ;D

soulcancer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 03:18:58 am »

In the view scheme all I would like to see, in regular view and also in theater view, is "show check mark(or whatever, even gray it out maybe) for viewed media. Yes/no".

People who like it get it, people who dont, dont. win/win!

and i am also having problem with the "or". thats not in my list of options under create new rule, filepath only has is, is not, contains, etc. no or...

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 05:33:56 am »

Another vote for keeping them on a per-view basis.

We really need a way of setting/unsetting these manually, though! I don't want to have to watch an old episode all over again, just to mark it as watched :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 07:22:15 am »

I'm in favor of an option to turn them off or on for everything.  They're so small they shouldn't be a big deal if they're on.

We've got other things we'd like to spend the time on.

If adding them for TV only would be better, that would work.

MrHaugen

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 09:07:03 am »

I would like this for my movies as well. So, I have to say that I would like them on or off on everything. Global option.

Just like the Bookmark symbols! I hate that thing really.... It does not look nice. I would prefer more logic behind the bookmarks instead though. Delete bookmark if movie is 90% done, do not create bookmarks for videos shorter than 15 minutes, and only keep bookmarks for around 1-2 weeks. That would be logical imo.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 09:51:09 am »

It would be sweet to be able to display the checkmark based on a binary, user-defined tag.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 11:44:43 am »

They're so small they shouldn't be a big deal if they're on.

No where NEAR as convenient as the dots.

On my TV, they manifest themselves as huge, ugly, bright white "ticks" laid over the top right corner of every thumbnail. When looking at a screen full of thumbs, it's as if all there is is a screen full of white ticks.

Jim says small and insignificant, glynor says dots... Am I missing something here? Does the watched indicator come from SmallIcons.png?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:43 am »

Hi Mark,
Try a different skin?

Jim

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »

On or off for everything please. I don't like them for recorded tv. I'm a real man too :)
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

rick.ca

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:15 pm »

and i am also having problem with the "or". thats not in my list of options under create new rule, filepath only has is, is not, contains, etc. no or...

Sorry. Since they won't allow me to, maybe JRiver will post a screen shot for you. ::)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 05:11:24 pm »

I'm in favor of an option to turn them off or on for everything.  They're so small they shouldn't be a big deal if they're on.

Either one is fine for me.  I don't mind having them on my movies and stuff, but I really want them for TV Shows.  I think they already don't show for short videos, so Music Videos should usually be excluded already, and that's probably the only place it would annoy me at all (and even then it is minor).

I do agree that this is relatively minor and isn't worth building complex logic for or building in per-view choices if it would take a lot of effort.  So, either choice you proposed is perfectly fine by me.

On my TV, they manifest themselves as huge, ugly, bright white "ticks" laid over the top right corner of every thumbnail. When looking at a screen full of thumbs, it's as if all there is is a screen full of white ticks.

That's probably part of it, Marko.

I don't use Thumbnails-style views for any of my videos in Theater View, so I've never even seen them like that.  I use Lineup-style for the categories, and List-style for the file listing.  They look nice in those types of views.  I wouldn't call them "tiny" really, but they're not that obnoxious.

Basically, the only place I use Thumbnails-style views in Theater View is for Images.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »

Example (episode 01-02 has been watched, the rest haven't):

Click for full size

Since they won't allow me to, maybe JRiver will post a screen shot for you. ::)

Rick, you can post screenshots.  You might not have the Attach mechanism, but you can easily upload a screenshot to Pix01 right through MC (or your own web provider if you have one) and then use the IMG BBCode tag around the link to the image to have it display in-line in your post.  That's how I almost always do mine, and they're nicer that way anyway.

sgomes

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 07:11:31 pm »

On or off for everything works just as fine for me too :) I still would love a way to mark a video as viewed/not viewed, though!

rick.ca

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:24:49 am »

Rick, you can post screenshots.  You might not have the Attach mechanism, but you can easily upload a screenshot to Pix01 right through MC (or your own web provider if you have one) and then use the IMG BBCode tag around the link to the image to have it display in-line in your post.  That's how I almost always do mine, and they're nicer that way anyway.

Yes, I know, but it's extra steps and an unnecessary PITA. I've never understood the rationale for restricting users ability to help each other by posting images. Not only is it a convenient (and sometimes essential) way for an experienced user to help. It's equally important a new user have the same capability, considering they may not have the words to describe what they're seeing and having a problem with.

But it seems Snagit has a very good integrated solution using Screencast.com, so I'll give that a try...

Nope. Another restriction, or am I doing something wrong?

[Edit] That's better. :-[

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 12:36:57 am »

Yes .... PITA.... Just want to assist users...
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 12:46:55 am »

Nope. Another restriction, or am I doing something wrong?

You linked to the wrong thing.  You linked to the page.  You want to link to the image (right click on the image in your browser, and choose copy image location if the host doesn't provide you with a direct link initially), and then enclose that in IMG tags.

So here is your picture, hosted in the same exact place:

Quote my reply and look at the link in the IMG tags, and you'll see how it is different.

Yes, I know, but it's extra steps and an unnecessary PITA. I've never understood the rationale for restricting users ability to help each other by posting images.

It's because spammers and other nefarious users can use attachments to do bad stuff (not the least of which is fill up their hosting storage space with crap, but they also are commonly used for cross-site scripting exploits and things like that).  Basically, you're allowing an "untrusted" user to upload a data file to your webserver, which is then automatically hosted and published to the world without someone looking at it first for a sanity check.  This is a bad idea.

I agree though.  Bob should change the forum software to restrict the "attachment" privilege to users with post count >50 and who have been members for at least 30 days or something like that, instead of by user "category" or however they do it now.  Most web forums I see have that kind of restriction (the post count can't be really low or the spam bots will just post crap over and over until they hit the right count).  This would make it easier for many experienced users to post screenshots without letting the animals in.

rick.ca

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 01:12:20 am »

Thanks, glynor. I would have figured it out on my own had Screencast not offered a link (which I assumed was the URL of the image I uploaded).  ::)

It's because spammers and other nefarious users can use attachments to do bad stuff

Oh, that explains then. I've recently been reclassified "nefarious." ;D

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 05:24:46 am »

I see it now, thanks glynor. I've consulted with the girls, aka. 'those who must be happy, or else' and they like thumbs. They don't like big white ticks. From all or nothing, I'll take nothing, thank you, but could happily play with it as a per view option. For me that would be a bonus though, I'm happy as things are at the moment.

-marko

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:04 am »

I've consulted with the girls, aka. 'those who must be happy, or else'

Ain't that the truth.  ::) ;)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 11:11:35 pm »

I'm in favor of an option to turn them off or on for everything.  They're so small they shouldn't be a big deal if they're on.

Did I miss this change?  If so, where is said option?

I miss the dots.  :'(

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:24 am »

* glynor clears throat...

Pages: [1]   Go Up