INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Green Button Launch  (Read 2029 times)

steelman1991

• World Citizen
Green Button Launch
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:10:09 am »

Hi

Although I had my reservations about the software's abilities (particularly with scraping and display of movie/tv show data - though I appreciate it is something that you are obviously aware of) I decided to take the plunge and purchased on the basis of potential and the excellent playback capabilities of the software.

However, lol there's always one isn't there - the first stumbling block, which for me is huge is the failure of the app to launch from 'cold' using the 'green button'. I have searched and found one or two threads with similar problems, but no definitive responses or resolutions. I have tried all the tricks from launching with a shortcut as a keyboard press (F9 etc) - I have a Harmony One and MCE Remote (RC6 model 1309). I obviously also tried blocking the launch of MCE from Theatre View options but nothing - green button press - total inactivity, unless the app is running in standard mode. Option to start in Theatre mode has also been checked.

Really finding this very frustrating - there is so much potential with the software, but to have such an obstacle for what I would describe with this type of software as a basic function renders it almost unusable. I use my HTPC (no real need for music/audio playback) from the comfort of my couch 10' away and don't want to use the mouse or keyboard unless as a last resort - ie never lol.

Is this a known issue - is there a solution, if a known issue is it being addressed? Is there a way to have the app run in the background in standard mode and minimise to tray for example on exit from Theatre View?

I so want this software to work - not just because I paid for it, but because at the moment playback functionality is seamless, and the standard by which other apps should be judged, but it is being let down by a basic function.

Sorry for the rant, thanks for any help offered.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Green Button Launch
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 04:59:08 am »

I am also using a Harmony One.

It works for me if I enable Media Server under Options Startup/Windows Startup. I have a a dedicated button on my Harmony that I use when I want to goto Theater View Home.

In options under Remote Control, click Commands. This will list all the remote commands in MC. Select the command "Theater View: Home". Click the Start Learning button and you can now select any of the buttons on your remote you want to use to goto Theater View Home.

Clicking this button when only Media Server is running will start MC in Theater View.

TLS

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:49:01 am »

You my friend are an absolute star - this works perfectly. Just knew there must be a way to resolve, but couldn't find it. This will make the app just that bit more complete.  :D

Thanks again - this solution should really be a sticky.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:29:54 am »

failure of the app to launch from 'cold' using the 'green button'. I have searched and found one or two threads with similar problems, but no definitive responses or resolutions.
I see you found a solution, but just wanted to let you know that the "Green Button" on all MCE remotes I tested does work. 

As pointed out, either MC or its Media Server need to be running. 

There can also be a conflict with WMC, but this can be solved in MC's Options.  There is a "Disable Windows Media Center ..." option under Theater View.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the purchase.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:06:50 am »

Yes, you can't call a program that isn't running.

Instead of running Media Server or MC on startup I've used EventGhost in the past to start MC in Theater View in the past.

Just another option.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:55:12 pm »

I see you found a solution, but just wanted to let you know that the "Green Button" on all MCE remotes I tested does work. 

As pointed out, either MC or its Media Server need to be running. 

There can also be a conflict with WMC, but this can be solved in MC's Options.  There is a "Disable Windows Media Center ..." option under Theater View.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the purchase.
Thanks for the welcome Mr JRiver - Yeah the remotes have worked flawlessly, but only after running Media Server. I have trawled the forums and wiki and can find no reference to what is I would imagine to many people an important piece of information. I can't help but think that without that information there may be a lot of lost users to the software - might be worth a sticky.

Bryan - thanks but I just think EventGhost is an abomination of a programme. Used it once and it tried to take over my computer, I kid you not it has a mind of its own. Nice to know there is another solution for other users, just not for me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:15 pm »

This wiki page lists the servers and a link to Media Server:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Servers

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 04:35:48 pm »

I knew it was there - just that I wasn't aware that it required to be active to operate the launch of MC - I'm still uncertain whether a link to that Wiki page would have made me any the wiser. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it needs to be more idiot proof and in your face eg:-

To ensure Green Button functionality users should configure and load Media Server. This could then be expanded to explain the disable the MCE Remote function etc.

I was aware of most of the process, just not the most important part.

Just a suggestion. Still great software app by the way - well worth the purchase.
Pages: [1]   Go Up