INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another stab @ Library Server - Can anyone walk me through this?  (Read 2524 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

We currently run MC as 4 separate client instances - each accessing the same share on my Windows Home Server. On each client - the main "library" path points to \\SERVER\Music\Library Files. All the actual music files are stored at \\SERVER\MUSIC. I want to finally get Library Server going on the actual server using this specific library as the main (and only) library on the server. I use my main client workstation to perform all changes to this library (imports, tagging etc).

My assumption (as I understand it) is that all the

It's critical that ALL settings, playlists, custom library fields and all the rest make the trip safe and sound. So what's the best path to success? I am thinking the following up to step 3:

1. Create a full library backup on my main PC of this library via my local copy of MC
2. Install MC on the server
3. Restore the library backup to this new instance?
4. Here's where I get lost with questions...

Q: When installing MC - one gets an empty, blank library by default. Does a "restore" of a backup overwrite this new blank library to become the default?
Q: How to effectively "repoint" MC to use the correct paths? My main fear is what will happen to the restored library when MC opens it and can't find anything due to a path problem? All files in the library will be pointing to \\SERVER\Music upon restore and I will need to reset that to F:\Music (as it is on the server). I assume the "Rename, Move and Copy" files tool is my friend?

Appreciate any step by step tips that anyone has done with success.

Cheers,

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Another stab @ Library Server - Can anyone walk me through this?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:15 am »

Q1: Yes

Q2: This link may help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:31 am »

Q1: Yes

Q2: This link may help:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

Thanks - but I do not need to actually move any files. All files are already on the server. Just need to ensure the new install of MC on the server can deal with the paths correctly.

VP

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:39:06 am »

I assume the "Rename, Move and Copy" files tool is my friend?

For this process, you'll actually want to you Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace. Select Filename for the field, then find \\SERVER\MUSIC and replace with F:\Music

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:24:43 am »

For this process, you'll actually want to you Tools > Library Tools > Find and Replace. Select Filename for the field, then find \\SERVER\MUSIC and replace with F:\Music

Thanks - but now that I found out that MC's Media Library process will not run unless I am not logged into my Windows Home Server - makes the idea of running it this way a bit pointless.

VP

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »

Have you seen the last post here?

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63159.0

Thanks for the tip - but I am not into adding more cogs to the wheel. Especially one I have never heard of.

I have tried a number of these type of utilities but unless it's specifically built for Windows Server 2008 64Bit (which this one can't be) they usually don't work reliably. Failure is not something I need for this particular service - it has to work with no intervention every time.

Cheers,

VP

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 03:37:50 am »

have you given up on this project? i have idea's for you but don't want to waste my efforts if you have no interests anymore.
Scott

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:35:59 am »

have you given up on this project? i have idea's for you but don't want to waste my efforts if you have no interests anymore.

Well - since MC is not properly supported on a server OS like Windows Home Server and must be managed by actually logging onto the server desktop each time - I would say yes - I am done trying to move over to it. Plus the all important fact that MC does not run as a service - I cannot (will not) leave any user account logged in on the server all the time to keep MC media server running.

I need a solution that is secure, reliable and especially one that does not require any user intervention after initial setup. If I have to be constantly using RDP to remote into the actual server and mess around with importing, tagging etc etc - I may as well just leave the setup like it is now where I can do my tasks directly from my chosen client.

VP

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »

ok, i have windows server 2008. I will play around with it and see if i can come up with a solution for you.
I understand the importance of protecting your media.

but just 1 question. Having a user logged in but the workstation locked is not an option?
Scott

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:21:11 pm »

ok, i have windows server 2008. I will play around with it and see if i can come up with a solution for you.
I understand the importance of protecting your media.

but just 1 question. Having a user logged in but the workstation locked is not an option?

Well - I am not saying it's not a option - it's just not secure and not something I really want to manage. Especially with Windows Updates...scheduled maintenance reboots, lightning storms, power outages...etc. In all cases - the machine will come back up with the system account. Which means another logon and more baby sitting...not ideal at all.

VP

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:07:28 pm »

i completely understand. i have successfully ran services in 2008 before without the use of 3rd party software. i do believe this is what you are seeking. i just have to boot up my 2008 server and tinker around with it and remember how i done this.

I feel that there are so many benefits to running Media Server. This forum is here to help others out, So I will do just that.

i myself don't run MC on the 2008 Server but it has been something i was thinking of doing.
Now is as good time as any to start the project.

If I come up with the solution, i will post here with updates for you.

Wish me luck

Scott

Vocalpoint

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 04:25:03 pm »

i completely understand. i have successfully ran services in 2008 before without the use of 3rd party software. i do believe this is what you are seeking. i just have to boot up my 2008 server and tinker around with it and remember how i done this.

I feel that there are so many benefits to running Media Server. This forum is here to help others out, So I will do just that.

i myself don't run MC on the 2008 Server but it has been something i was thinking of doing.
Now is as good time as any to start the project.

If I come up with the solution, i will post here with updates for you.

Wish me luck

Luck!

VP

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 12:26:49 am »

I gave it a shot but unsuccessful at the moment. I know a lot about windows but this is starting to be a grey are for me

what i was try to do was use "srvany.exe" which isn't available on Widows Server 2008. It is on Windows Server 2003. So I grabbed the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools which to my understanding can be installed to Windows Server 2008.
By the way, this is available at http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17657
You should be able to use the "SC"  command (more info on SC here -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192) to create a service

Now, I don't know if you tried this. but in theory it should work.
And this is using Windows only applications.

This is one way of accomplishing the task at hand, if you're willing to take a stab at it.
maybe someone can chime in with more info.
If you do take a stab at this, can you keep me informed with any status/updates? 
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up