INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can mc16 stream to sonos devices?  (Read 4918 times)

fzma

• Recent member
can mc16 stream to sonos devices?
« on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:57 am »

hello all.  i searched but could not find an answer so i thought i would post my question.   i run xp media edition at home on the computer which runs my sonos software, and houses my music library.  i would like to use mc16 to stream to both my zp90 and my s5 f that is possible.  If it can work, what setup steps are required?  i am testing mc16 at work on a win7 box, and can stream to both a marantz 7004 and the new musical fideliity m1clic, and would love to be able to do the same at home with sonos.

any thoughts/ideas/suggestions appreciated.

regards,

Mark

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

fzma

• Recent member
Re: can mc16 stream to sonos devices?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 10:26:12 am »

the link does not work, ie does not bring up any content...  or am i doing something wrong?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 10:35:50 am »

No, my fault.  I'd forgotten the search results link doesn't work in the forum here.  I've updated the links.

The search button is above in the small gray area.  Try entering Sonos in a search to see the results that I was trying to indicate.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:21:29 am »

i would like to use mc16 to stream to both my zp90 and my s5 f that is possible. 
I believe Sonos players are UPnP/DLNA renderers so as long as you've got MC set up as a DLNA server and controller then your Sonos units should automatically appear in MC as ones, as presumably the 7004 & M1clic are doing already.

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 07:59:12 am »

i've been told that, but i assume i have to get my network to see the sonos boxes, and i have no idea how to do that in xp.  at work, on my win7 machine, the network setup saw the marantz and the clic immediately, as did mc.  not sure how to pull off that trick under xp, with the sonos pieces.  anyone have a "for dummies" roadmap as to how to make that happen?

thanks,

Mark

csimon

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:08 am »

There's nothing to be done, it's UPnP!  Universal Plug n Play!  :)

Well... I suppose you do have to make sure that your PC and network support UPnP.  You will need to go into your router's setup page and make sure UPnP is turned on (it's usually on by default), and you need to go into Windows Firewall in XP and make sure that UPnP Framework in the Exceptions tab is checked (it probably already is).

Other than that, all UPnP devices should automatically show up in MC16 as Zones, as you have discovered with the devices you have been playing with in work.

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 08:14:52 am »

thanks,  i will check my settings when i get home.  at work i have a network person who did all the heavy lifting to make the network accessible.

i will let you know how it works out, and may take the marantz home and see if it works as easily there as well.

best,

mark

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »

no love!!   upnp is enabled on my router.  norton security sees the sonos devices and my tivo, and i set both sonos boxes as full trust.m   windows firewall is disabled (probably by norton.  i have both sonos boxes hardwired to the neetwork, and enabled in the sonos desktop software.  when i enable dlna on mc16, it shows up as a server and a renderer in my network places, but the sonos boxes do not, and do not show up as zones in mc16.  not sure what is hiding/blocking them, but i am out of ideas.  mc16 does not see my tivo either.  i also have a marantz av8003 that is dlna, but i have not configured it as a network device, though it is connected via ethernet.

hope some of this helps point me in a new directipn.

thanks,

mark

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:27:41 am »

i tried windows media player via my win7 laptop connected to my home network via wifi, and it can play and see the sonos boxes using the main library being served dlna via mc16 on my xp desktop box.

more confused than ever, cannot get either laptop or desktop to play to sonos boxes via mc16.   what am i missing?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 07:12:14 am »

Does the Sonos do UPnP or DLNA now?

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 08:22:00 am »

what works:

I have registered/paired, whatever the term is, the s5 and the zp90 sonos boxes via the sonos software that is installed on my desktop xp pc, which is cat5 to my comcast router.   the sonos software can play my flac files that it has indexed into its library.

my win7 laptop can play to the sonos devices via windows media player, when mc16 is a dlna server sharing my main music librabry (all flac) from my desktop xp machine.

what does not work:

neither instance of mc16 (laptop or desktop) seems to be able to see the sonos boxes as playing now "zones".  neither copy is registered yet- pending this experiment.

i am probably missing an obvious setting, or something, as i am quite new to win7,  mc16, and am not much of a networking person.  i do not think sonos will be any help, as they seem to be promoting their devices as proprietary, and their support site got no hits for jriver. 

it is also interesting that i have not seen any post on the jriver forum which categorically states that someone has actually gotten mc15 or mc16 to play to a sonos box.

i am confused, but determined to make this work, and really seem to need some help.  i put a lot of specifics in my earlier posts, which i hope will point someone more knowledgable than i am in the right direction.

thanks!
mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 09:37:27 am »

neither instance of mc16 (laptop or desktop) seems to be able to see the sonos boxes as playing now "zones".  neither copy is registered yet- pending this experiment.
Whether it's trial or purchased won't matter.  The trial version is a full version.
i am probably missing an obvious setting, or something,
Just make sure you've checked "Use Media Network" in Media Network options.  This turns on DLNA, but double check under Media Network/Advanced.  All 3 DLNA options should be checked.
as i am quite new to win7,  mc16, and am not much of a networking person.  i do not think sonos will be any help, as they seem to be promoting their devices as proprietary, and their support site got no hits for jriver. 
As far as I know, they are proprietary.  They don't use UPnP or DLNA, unless something has changed recently.
it is also interesting that i have not seen any post on the jriver forum which categorically states that someone has actually gotten mc15 or mc16 to play to a sonos box.

i am confused, but determined to make this work, and really seem to need some help.  i put a lot of specifics in my earlier posts, which i hope will point someone more knowledgable than i am in the right direction.
You might investigate whether the devices actually support DLNA.  There are many devices that do, for $100 to $150.

csimon

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 10:32:39 am »

I was looking into this too.  The major advantage of the Sonos system over independent DLNA devices is that they can play in sync.  If you could play to a Sonos device as a DLNA device then it solves the problem that DLNA has with playing in sync.

I'm sure I have seen posts on their forums suggesting that the players are UPnP Renderers, will have to find them again and provide links.  If you Google for UPNP RENDERER SONOS you will find a lot of things that suggest that it is possible, including:

http://travelmarx.blogspot.com/2010/06/exploring-sonos-via-upnp.html
http://deviceguru.com/review-sonos-streaming-music-players

Part of the Sonos Controller software allows connecting to an external media server, but at the moment it seems it will only connect to Windows Media Player, even though there is a FAQ in their support section which suggests it's done by UPnP: "After updating my Sonos to version 3.3, I can no longer see my Windows Media Player UPnP network sharing service.", and it goes on to show a dialog box from the Sonos software with two options: "Sonos can play music from compatible UPnP Servers running on your network.. Show music from Windows Media Servers, Show music from Rhapsody UPnP servers".  But, there is also a FAQ which states that Sonos cannot use DLNA music servers and that the request has been passed to the developers.  This is either contradictory/out of date, or there is a distinction between UPnP and DLNA that Sonos are making.

One of the links provided above has a quote from Sonos and it seems to suggest that their products can indeed talk to UPnP servers and be controlled by UPnP controllers but that the functionality is limited and they're only concerned with Windows software.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 10:37:09 am »

... make sure you've checked "Use Media Network" in Media Network options.  This turns on DLNA, but double check under Media Network/Advanced.  All 3 DLNA options should be checked.

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:11 am »

everything is checked, although i am not using authentication.  guess this is just not going to work.  i will keep checking, but it does work in windows media player, and i am assuiming that streaminging via upnp/dlna does not incur audible differences like the wasapi, asio, etc audiophile debate (yes i am a card-carrying audiophile) so this streaming is just for convenience, and i do have a cmp/cplay decicated box as my "cd player" thru a cary dac.  would have been nice to use mc16 to feed sonos as well as potentially allowing me to rip(?) my dvds to hard drive, and play them in various locations and save storage space- 1 Tb hard drive vs boxes of cds.....

thanks for everyone's help, and keep those cards and letter coming if someone thinks of something that may turn the tide.

Best,
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 10:56:03 am »

Authentication isn't required for this purpose.

If, on the same machine, WMP works but MC doesn't, there are three possibilities I can think of.

1.  It's not standard UPnP, but has been made to work with WMP.

2.  WMP is interfering.  Running on the same port, for example.

3.  MC isn't allowed by the firewall.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:59:12 am »

Did you try searching here?  I found this, among other posts:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=53936.0

fzma

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 01:49:19 pm »

sorry for the delay in replying - had to have a tooth extracted- not much fun....

i think it may be that sonos made it workable for windows media player.  i do not think it is the firewall, but have not checked to see if wmp grabs and hold the port - i may check on that later.  in the meantime, i can live without mc16 streaming to sonos, ad using it as the dlna server on my main machine is what allows wmp to find the music to send to the sonos-- so it is still contributing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up