INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JTV Editor  (Read 4233 times)

pauly139

• World Citizen
JTV Editor
« on: October 01, 2011, 03:37:56 am »

Is there any software available to edit jtv files? If not, then how about converting to a format that can be edited?

Paul.

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JTV Editor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »

Hi Paul,

I remembered i saw this reference a couple of weeks ago on the MC15 forum:

15.0.35 (4/29/2010)

1. NEW (Experimental!): Remuxing of television recording (digital television only, i.e. ATSC or DVB-T) jtv files to MKV.  Requires Haali Matraska Muxer filter which is part of Haali Media Splitter installation.  Select jtv files, and go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Convert Format...

Unfortunately causes a crash for me. YMMV  :-\ (I may not have Haali installed though which is possibly the problem)

SBR

pauly139

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »

Thanks for letting me know. Crashed for me too, however I also don't have the splitter installed.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:01:21 pm »

You can change the recording format to be TS instead of JTV.
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:19:08 am »

Is there any benefit of JTV over TS? Why was JTV format created?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:21:19 am »

It uses our video compression, and the chunks could allow switching quality levels on the fly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 01:40:59 pm »

JTV is required so that recording and watching can be mixed.  It's made up of a series of reference-counted chunks.  This allows, for example, watching  time-shifting for four hours, while the engine knows to keep as a recording the middle one hour.

Media Center installs JTV reader and writer filters, so any Directshow-compatible video software should be able to read JTV files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 03:12:23 pm »

Really?  When this was introduced, I spent ages trying to find an editing app with the help of Yaobing but no luck.  Can you suggest an app?
JRiver CEO Elect

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 05:10:12 pm »

Really?  When this was introduced, I spent ages trying to find an editing app with the help of Yaobing but no luck.  Can you suggest an app?

Actually, what Matt said was true, mostly.  The problem is that DirectShow based video editing tools are hard to find, at least the free ones.

I was able to use Windows Movie Maker to edit jtv files on Vista.  However I can not use Windows Live Movie Maker.  I am guessing it has hard-coded list of video formats that it will handle.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 06:14:51 pm »

Which was why the Mux to MKV option was introduced and then later the ability to just record in TS as well.  Back then I could not even use to dump the streams to disc with a file writter in Graph Edit - there was all sorts of issues with the streams being corrupted (it may be DVB-T however).
JRiver CEO Elect

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:35:00 am »

Is there a way to convert WTV to JTV. I want to be able to watch Windows Media Center TV recorded file with madVR doing the rendering. This used to work without any intervention. For quite awhile now WTV is EVR only. I have a Ceton so I will be in a mixed environment for any forseeable future.

Perhaps there is just a configuration change to allow WTV and madVR to work together again in playback. I understood this was problematic for some with audio and that is why the change was made.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:17 pm »

There is no way of converting from wtv to jtv.

The reason why we changed graph-building for wtv files was not just problems with audio, but also video.  Some wtv files simply refuse to allow third-party decoders.  It depends on individual files, on the version of Windows OS on which they are recorded etc.  Some files may work with third party filters, some files do not.  That was why we tried to play it safe, to make sure all files play, we force the use of EVR.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 12:25:49 am »

The reason why we changed graph-building for wtv files was not just problems with audio, but also video.  Some wtv files simply refuse to allow third-party decoders.  It depends on individual files, on the version of Windows OS on which they are recorded etc.  Some files may work with third party filters, some files do not.  That was why we tried to play it safe, to make sure all files play, we force the use of EVR.

Seemed to work perfectly for me.. what about a conversion utility? or a not officailly supported work around?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:54 am »

You can load wtv files in Windows Movie Maker or Windows Live Movie Maker, and save edited video in Window Media (wmv) format.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 03:46:11 pm »

Actually, what Matt said was true, mostly.  The problem is that DirectShow based video editing tools are hard to find, at least the free ones.

DTB includes a DirectShow based video Editor.

babgvant

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »

Would it be possible to use your muxer in another application? 

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 12:50:13 am »

So did anyone figure out a way to use DTB to convert jtv to ts so that we can have the benefit of jtv yet still have commercial skipping?

craig
Pages: [1]   Go Up