INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended Extender to use with MC  (Read 1664 times)

terrytad

• Recent member
Recommended Extender to use with MC
« on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »

What is the recommended extender to use with MC17?
Currently using SAGETV's extender over Ethernet. The replacement has to have HDMI capability.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recommended Extender to use with MC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

1.  MC running on a PC
or
2.  WD HDTV Live

You might find more on the Media Network board here.

terrytad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »

1.  MC running on a PC
or
2.  WD HDTV Live

You might find more on the Media Network board here.

What will control MC from the extender?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:29:16 pm »

Please take a look at the DLNA topic on our wiki.  MC can perform all three functions.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »

Jim, in the where we're going next thread, you mention the possibility of a hardware extender - actually two flavours. Do you think that these could become a reality eventually? I've been suggesting such a beast ever since Sage brought out their extender. It would be nice to have some hardware that was capable of running Theatre View at least, that wasn't a fully-fledged PC if the price were right.
It might even bring in more Sage people who were used to extenders.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »

Jim, in the where we're going next thread, you mention the possibility of a hardware extender - actually two flavours. Do you think that these could become a reality eventually? I've been suggesting such a beast ever since Sage brought out their extender. It would be nice to have some hardware that was capable of running Theatre View at least, that wasn't a fully-fledged PC if the price were right.
It might even bring in more Sage people who were used to extenders.

I don't have any real numbers but my guess from a lot of time on their Forum is that well more than half of the users had extenders. I have two, but did go straight from our HTPC to our large screen in our HT room. It would be killer for JRiver to have Extenders that offered the full Theater View experience with all media.

Rod

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 11:05:07 pm »

I use an HTPC (it's actually my WMC Cable Tuner box) upstairs using the 'shared library' feature to connect to my main JRiver MC library.  Downstairs I use a WDTV Live Plus with the My River app on the iPad/iPhone to control what is playing.

The HTPC route really works best since you don't run in to format compatibility issues and you get the full Theater View front end.  I'm not really crazy about MC deals with video file conversions when streaming to a device like the WDTV, so I keep DVD/BluRay video in MKV format that it supports.  I may eventually replace my BluRay player and WDTV downstairs with another HTPC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up