INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Registry Cleaners = EVIL  (Read 2928 times)

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
Registry Cleaners = EVIL
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:43:26 pm »

You want to keep your PC from malfunctioning then STOP using Registry Cleaners. Registry cleaners tend to delete Keys that are dormant or have nothing associated to the keys. Even if registry keys have nothing associated with them doesn't mean that Software application don't need them. If you have to use a registry cleaner then only have it delete keys that you 100% know where from deleted Applications.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Registry Cleaners = EVIL
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:24:37 pm »

Thanks for the advise. You sound like you are speaking from past (bad) experience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:27:09 pm »

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:42:44 pm »

RegClean has been 'broken' for years.  It deletes what it perceives as 'unused' registry entries in a not very intelligent way.  The concept of these tools is a good one, but the execution is lacking and it can't even deal with 'common' programs like MS Office properly.  Even if the registry key is legitimately 'unused' right now, that does not mean that it will not be needed in the future as you change your software options and the software will expect the keys it originally installed to be there when needed.

The good news is that with Windows 8 it looks like MS is finally moving away from the registry back to a per-program solution like Apple uses (or MS used to use with the .ini files).

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »

I'm with you on this, but I'll disagree with you on this part.

The concept of these tools is a good one...

Back in the day, Microsoft went so far as to encourage and promote registry examine / fix tools, all the while giving that nasty, scary "Editing the registry may damage your computer..." warning:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc751049.aspx

And not too long ago, this was more common on Technet articles:

Use Registry Editor
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

And now, the more stern:
Registry

The registry is a system-defined database in which applications and system components store and retrieve configuration data. The data stored in the registry varies according to the version of Microsoft Windows. Applications use the registry API to retrieve, modify, or delete registry data.

You should not edit registry data that does not belong to your application unless it is absolutely necessary. If there is an error in the registry, your system may not function properly. If this happens, you can restore the registry to the state it was in when you last started the computer successfully. For more information, see the help for your operating system.

After a couple of decades of pain -- here's how you do that, don't do that -- MS may finally understand and address this.  Here's to hope.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 08:27:16 pm »

And the irony of all of those dire warnings is that I have to constantly edit the registry file on my HTPC so that WMC can see the Recorded TV content I've moved to the Drobo on my main system.  Pretty much a given that with WMC on a modern TV you will spend some quality time in the registry fixing overscan and/or color space issues.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:46:50 am »

Thanks for the advise. You sound like you are speaking from past (bad) experience.
Yes and I am grateful to share my experience. :-)

locust

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:23:23 am »

I use Tune up utilities and clean/de-fragment my registry.. I've never had problems in the 6 or so years I've been using it.. It's a bit like bloatware but it works

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:04:33 pm »

I created this topic due to people noticing features missing or grayed out due to registry cleaners. Even if your registry cleaner works doesn't mean that when they update it that it will perform and work the same. This is why I don't trust them. They work great for awhile then one day after they update the registry cleaner it screwed things up. You get my point?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

I've used CCleaner for several years on our XP machines. Never had a problem that I'm aware of and it seems to be very highly regarded. Free too! Haven't yet tried it on our Win7 HTPC though.

Rod

locust

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »

true, I do get that. That's why you should keep multiple backups of your registry, it does take a while but is worth it in the end, a lot of the cleaners can do that.. That way you will get piece of mind as well a smooth running pc

audunth

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 12:22:12 pm »

The bottom line is don't use registry cleaners unless you know what you're doing and know how to make a registry backup, know how to set up the registry cleaner to avoid touching your installed programs etc.

CCleaner for example lets you analyse and browse through and check/uncheck every single registry issue it intends to correct and also lets you take a backup before it changes anything.

Having said that, I myself haven't used a registry cleaner on my current Windows 7 installation yet, and if you don't have any issues with a slow and/or bloated system, it's probably best left alone. I installed CCleaner to easily clean out unused files (temp files for example) which takes up a lot more space than a bloated registry anyway.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

RGBlues

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 06:00:20 pm »

Using CCleaner on my Win 7-64 machine and never had an issue. I have heard of horror stories with others, however.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 05:24:25 am »

I have used TuneUp Utilities for couple years (now using 2012-version) and before that I used CCleaner... Never had an issue, but TuneUp has helped to get some corruptions removed from the registry (and it also does registry defrag, if that does any real difference...). Be aware however, that there are some "evil"-registry tweakers around... So, do some research before running any of these softwares! There is also some cheating softwares (even payload!) that first "broken" the registry and then "fix" it, so users are happy when they read how many thousand errors the software has corrected... Basically, if you are happy living whitout any registry cleaner/tweaker, do not try any... But if you are sure that you want to use them, do some research and do not believe anything on the software homepage...
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up