INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: manual and upgrade policy?  (Read 1579 times)

rbeverjr

manual and upgrade policy?
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:48 am »

I like your product, media center 16. It seems to handle my music files very well (organization) and produces great sound (SQ, DSP, rip, and burn).  You did a great job there!  The video seems to be adequate, and the program also displays picture files.  I am pleased with its overall media capabilities.  The biggest problem I see with the media center is learning to use it to its full potential.  That seems to be a difficult task.  Here are some ways that I feel like you can help the casual user (like me) get up to speed. An improvement to your software would include a software-based help system.  Preferably the help system will be “smart” and include a menu system based on your current location in the program and/or based on what you click with the question mark (like in MS Office) – as well as including a search-based help system.  I would also appreciate a bookmarked pdf manual that is specific to the version purchased.  The manual should be comprehensive in its display of topics and thorough in the detailing of each topic.  The manual should definitely include a quick setup page that deals not only with the basic setup of the program, but common ways of personalizing it (setting options and using skins). The wiki and forums are indeed helpful, but are not fully satisfactory to me.  The wiki and forum should be an addition to the manual and not in place of the manual.  A good help system will allow us to use the program to its fullest potential, while investing a minimal amount of time searching, learning, and tweaking.

I am unsure what the upgrade policy is for this program.  I see that the next version is already in beta.  Do we have to buy the program again once the next version is released? If so, I may very well wait until the next version is released from beta before purchasing!

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: manual and upgrade policy?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:26:09 pm »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67143.0

Upgrading is about 1/2 the cost.  They do run limited specials on the new versions when available to the public.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:59 am »

Welcome to the forum!

I doubt you'll see a manual at any point (my opinion only). But the support on the forum is excellent, better than any dry book you'd flip through. Lots of knowledgeable users and more direct contact with the software developers than you'll get from any other company I'm aware of.

You don't have to purchase upgrades. You software will continue to work even if you don't.

If you purchase JRiver now it includes a Version 17 license. You won't regret it.

Trismos

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:12:36 pm »

I like your product, media center 16. It seems to handle my music files very well (organization) and produces great sound (SQ, DSP, rip, and burn).  You did a great job there!  The video seems to be adequate, and the program also displays picture files.  I am pleased with its overall media capabilities.  The biggest problem I see with the media center is learning to use it to its full potential.  That seems to be a difficult task.  Here are some ways that I feel like you can help the casual user (like me) get up to speed. An improvement to your software would include a software-based help system.  Preferably the help system will be “smart” and include a menu system based on your current location in the program and/or based on what you click with the question mark (like in MS Office) – as well as including a search-based help system.  I would also appreciate a bookmarked pdf manual that is specific to the version purchased.  The manual should be comprehensive in its display of topics and thorough in the detailing of each topic.  The manual should definitely include a quick setup page that deals not only with the basic setup of the program, but common ways of personalizing it (setting options and using skins). The wiki and forums are indeed helpful, but are not fully satisfactory to me.  The wiki and forum should be an addition to the manual and not in place of the manual.  A good help system will allow us to use the program to its fullest potential, while investing a minimal amount of time searching, learning, and tweaking.

I am unsure what the upgrade policy is for this program.  I see that the next version is already in beta.  Do we have to buy the program again once the next version is released? If so, I may very well wait until the next version is released from beta before purchasing!

I did a search for "manual" and came across this post and was thinking 'Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for' (more so in the book marked pdf). I was disappointed to see the following comments. I have had version 14 through 17 and am still discovering things I should have known about long ago but simply didn't know they were there. I don't mind surfing the forums but it's a much more convoluted method of finding out all the things JR can do for you. just today I'm discovering I might be able to use JR to run active cross-overs with something like Audiolense. (I discovered this on Audiocircles The Lab oddly by the way).

A manual would be most welcome.

Regards
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up