INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo -- how do I specify a WAN IP in the client?  (Read 1519 times)

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Gizmo -- how do I specify a WAN IP in the client?
« on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:55 am »

hiya,

I have gizmo working on my LAN -- soooo sweet.  Now I want to make it work for when I'm on the road....

Everything is fine on the server side: I've opened the Media Server port, set up port forwarding on my router, and am using a dynamic IP address service. I've tested all that and it works (tested via telnet to the dynamic-dns-address:port, connection went through),

The question I have is how do I tell the Gizmo client on my Android to connect over a WAN? After giving it the key, it searches the LAN. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to give Gizmo an IP or DNS address for the server. The wiki clearly states that one can connect over a WAN so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Thanks,
Shiraz

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo -- how do I specify a WAN IP in the client?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 04:46:57 am »

Your Media Server should register its IP with the JRiver server and Gizmo should try to lookup that IP over the access key you provided.
There currently (sadly) is no way to specify a IP directly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:06:17 am »

If wireless LAN is turned on on the phone, Gizmo will attempt to use the LAN IP first.  If you wanted to use your cell service IP when at home (to test), you could turn off the wireless LAN on the phone.

Both addresses are registered with our server when you generate the Access Key.  They are also updated from time to time, so that our server knows when your address changes.

ShirazD

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:52 pm »

Ah yes, works beautifully, thanks Jim! No need for a dynamic DNS service then. Nice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up