INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto-Import, Carnac and Get Movie & TV Info  (Read 2235 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Auto-Import, Carnac and Get Movie & TV Info
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:57 am »

This was brought up briefly in the .73 build thread, but then somehow never came up again.

If Carnac fills the [Name] field of a file, the automatic Movie & TV Info lookup will not override it anymore.
This renders the feature nearly useless for me, as the name is the most important part for that thing to figure out for my TV series.

Carnac names them usually stuff like "Chuck S5E11" because the file names contain no name, so overwriting them with the automatic lookup info is a good thing.

Can we make it so that the lookup will overwrite [Name] again (maybe only if filled by Carnac?)?
Maybe you have bigger plans for some sort of configuration or such, however in combination with Carnac, its not really working that well anymore right now.

I just wanted to be sure to bring it up again, if you have plans to make it generally better, nevermind me!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Auto-Import, Carnac and Get Movie & TV Info
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:49:10 am »

Carnac names them usually stuff like "Chuck S5E11" because the file names contain no name, so overwriting them with the automatic lookup info is a good thing.
Carnac should do a better job.  Can you provide a few examples of the filenames that don't work?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:04 am »

Chuck S5E11 is actually a pretty good name to get.

Are they always that good, because your post in another thread made it sound like you were getting total junk in the name field.

As for this issue, the trick is that we don't know the name is from Carnac.  Maybe we should replace name if it's of the form [Series] S[Season]E[Episode]?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:11 am »

I would like to see meaningful filenames delimited by something--a space a dash, whatever:  "Chuck - S5-E11".

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:28:05 am »

The problem here is that Carnac or you, might fill out the Name with wrong info. Spelling mistakes or other oddities. If the search with the scrapers yields a better, more correct name, this is not corrected. That's not great. In my opinion, name should be one of the very few fields that SHOULD be overwritten by the automatic and manual scraping. Always. The naming on the online sources is very reliable.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:34 am »

Next build:
Changed: Automatic movie & tv info lookup will overwrite the name for a television episode using the value in the online database (no other existing data is overwritten in automatic mode).

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:33 am »

Chuck S5E11 is actually a pretty good name to get.

Are they always that good, because your post in another thread made it sound like you were getting total junk in the name field.

As for this issue, the trick is that we don't know the name is from Carnac.  Maybe we should replace name if it's of the form [Series] S[Season]E[Episode]?

I agree that "Chuck S5E11" isn't the worst thing that can happen, but sometime it also interprets some other file tags as the name, which could be totally useless.
Of course the actual Episode name is much more useful.

Usually, if it looks like this, it'll do the "Chuck S5E11" thing:

Chuck.S05E11.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv

If it looks like this, it'll just set it to "Dimension", which is completely useless. :p

Chuck.S05E11.720p.HDTV.X264.DIMENSION.mkv

Anyhow, if the change now always overwrites the [Name], thats awesome. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:13:16 am »

Usually, if it looks like this, it'll do the "Chuck S5E11" thing:

Chuck.S05E11.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION.mkv

If it looks like this, it'll just set it to "Dimension", which is completely useless. :p

Chuck.S05E11.720p.HDTV.X264.DIMENSION.mkv

Anyhow, if the change now always overwrites the [Name], thats awesome. :)

Is it common to be signed with a dot instead of a dash?  I haven't seen that before.

Currently we remove known tokens like ".720p" or ".HDTV"

Then, if the file had some tokens like that, we look for a signature at the end (looking for a dash, and where it comes in the remaining string) and remove that.

Another approach would be to search for known tokens, and just remove everything after the first one.  But that would break something like:
Chuck.720p.S.02.E.03-Matt

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:36 am »

Both ways seem equally common, dots or dashes.

I'm really not worried about it if the Info Lookup just gets the name for me, though.

Whats important is the Series/Season/Episode parsing, which seems pretty good, with some small minor problems.

There is only some minor cases where a file is called for example Castle.2009.S04E03.mkv, and it puts the series name as Castle 2009, and i have to move them to the plain "Castle" category every week, but i guess that might not be easy to be fixed.
I have a similar problem with sanctuary.us.s04e02.mkv, i really only want "Sanctuary", but it always makes it "Sanctuary Us".
Too bad it isn't smart enough that i could teach it some of the mistakes it commonly does (ie. Castle 2009 -> Castle, Sanctuary Us -> Sanctuary), without me manually changing it every time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:50 pm »

Both ways seem equally common, dots or dashes.

I'm really not worried about it if the Info Lookup just gets the name for me, though.

Whats important is the Series/Season/Episode parsing, which seems pretty good, with some small minor problems.

Agreed.  Who cares how Carnac interprets all the weird scene release tagging, in most cases... If MC can properly extract the Series, Season, and Episode numbers (which seems to work very well with the current system), then Automatic Lookup can pretty much take care of the rest.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:09:25 pm »

Correct.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up