INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .shn plugin?  (Read 5599 times)

creamyPB

• Recent member
.shn plugin?
« on: February 13, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »

In the MC16 forum there was a link to a shn plugin - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66407.0

http://accessories.jriver.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/in_shn.mjp

I have MC17, but I thought I'd give it a go. It dloaded, and then I got the pop up saying 'media center wishes to install a component'. It attempts to install, but then fails. I've tried 3 times now.

Msg - PackageInstaller.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetGeneralReader could not be located in the dynamic link library JRReader.dll <--- this msg appears 3 times in a row

Then I get - Cannot load plug-in.
C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\in_shn.dll

I click ok and then I get another msg -

Failed to Install package.
More Info: none
URL: http://accessories.musicex.com/mediacenter/mc_data/plugins/in_shn.zip

Is there a plugin for MC17 for shn support? I've cruised around in the forums but found nothing other than this link that doesn't work for me.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: .shn plugin?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »

Isn't shorten a dead format? Why not convert to flac and be done with it?

Sorry I don't have a real answer. Likely the plugin was made specifically for MC16, so maybe you can contact the author?

creamyPB

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:30 pm »

:)
I want to convert to flac! I have no use for shn, but MC17 won't recognize this format, so I can't convert it!

I don't know who the original maker of the plugin is.

This is because I've, um, acquired a few cd's that are in shn. they are large files, so they are high quality. but I only want flacs anyway. Arrgghh!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:38:52 pm »

There was an SHN input plugin for MC11 here:

http://accessories.jriver.com/mediacenter/accessories.php
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:35 pm »

:)
I want to convert to flac! I have no use for shn, but MC17 won't recognize this format, so I can't convert it!

I don't know who the original maker of the plugin is.

This is because I've, um, acquired a few cd's that are in shn. they are large files, so they are high quality. but I only want flacs anyway. Arrgghh!

You might need to convert in foobar2000 if the MC plugin doesn't work. I know it has a shorten plugin. If you don't care about maintaining tags, look here: http://etree.org/shnutils/shntool/

NuB

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 06:55:06 pm »

Hello all,

I have been getting started with my first version of JRiver over the course of the last month or so (MC-17).  Music is the primary thing that I do with this software, and a lot of my older recordings were encoded with .shn.  I was curious if there was an answer to if MC17 will playback .shn format.  I have tried to install the plug-in and get the errors outlined above.  The in_shn.dll looks to be in the correct directory.   

I am very happy with the software and am working my way through migrating things over to make this my primary all purpose player.  For what I use this system for, I would likely be okay to roll-back to MC-16 if it would open up this functionality.  I stumbled accross this thread where it seem to have worked out as planned for MC-16.  Thanks in advance. 

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66407.0

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »

I have some older eTree downloads (Grateful Dead and similar) that are in Shorten format.  I convert them to FLAC using dBpoweramp.  Converting them to FLAC is the easiest and most consistent way to deal with them.

You can convert from one lossless format to another without affecting the audio.  The only thing to watch for is maintaining tags during the conversion.  That's what's awesome about lossless.  You can transcode to other lossless formats without loss.  I've standardized on FLAC for lossless.  If 10 years from now another lossless format becomes the format to use then I can convert from FLAC to that new format.  Always keeping my library consistent with current standards (sure beats having the digital equivalent of a box of 8-track tapes because a digital format loses support).  That's the way I view Shortten.  An old format to be converted to something current.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:30:14 am »

I had a bunch of live stuff from etree as well.

Another conversion method that works is to use Matt's other application...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

NuB

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:29 pm »

I saw a lot of concerts in the 10-20 years ago range, so quite a bit of my collection ended up in .shn b/c that was the format of the time.  

I am trying to avoid having to take on the task of tracking down the .shn files in my collection/fixing the up the SBEs and rewrapping them as .flac if I can.  It's not that I really like the format or anything - it's just that it would take a while.  

Is this format definitely not going to be supported moving forward?

Would downgrading to MC16 work as an option?

Would options>encoding>file conversions>external encoder be an option in MC17 for playback?

Much obliged for the responses, trying to check out my options.  

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:59 pm »

I don't think MC ever supported .shn files, but you may be able to find a DirectShow filter that MC could use to play them. 

You would set that up under file types in MC's options.

Frobozz

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:06 pm »

Getting SHN working for your software now is only delaying the inevitable.  You're going to eventually need to convert the SHN files to a format that current software supports.  You can get SHN working now, but what about a couple years from now when software updates and moves on?  You'll be asking the same questions again about how to get SHN working.

I understand the desires to keep the SHN collections as SHN files.  All the md5 checksums to verify the integrity will need to be regenerated.  Other support and verification files will need to be updated.  If you're concerned about being able to verify the authenticity of your files and be able to trade them then I'd suggest keeping a separate archive of all of your SHN shows.  Keep that archive separate from the files that you use to actually play and listen.  Duplicate the SHN files to FLAC and use the FLAC files for actually listening.

dBpoweramp has a batch converter.  The batch converter can convert every SHN file in a directory tree to FLAC.  It also has the ability to add additional tags to the FLAC files during the conversion.  SHN files are generally tagless.  Converting them to FLAC gives you the opportunity to add some basic tags.  Some of the tagging can be done automatically during conversion.  Some may need to be done manually. 

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 01:24:56 am »

LAV Splitter + LAV Audio can play Shorten files (at least the two sample files i found on the web right now). MC would just need to be configured to use Red October for it.
Maybe Matt can set that up?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:26:10 pm »

The old Shorten plugin worked with MC 9-11. It does not work with MC/MJ 12 or newer.

LAV works. As a test, I added Shorten to my MC17 configuration. I needed to edit only two things:

-- added shorten to the "File Associations.xml" file:

<DescriptionTypes>
    <Audio>   Shorten (shn)

<!-- Types (by category) -->
  <MJTypes>   shn

-- added Shorten to Windows Registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 17\File Types\Audio\Shorten]
"External Program Arguments"="\"[Filename]\""
"Playback Type"="2"
"Version"=dword:00000003
"External Program Executable"=""

I tested a few standard Red Book shn files (44.1 kHz/16-bit/stereo). Playback and format conversion worked fine:

Filter Graph Info (Graph for type: shn):

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {EC1F74A8-7E55-4814-9F9F-D417489075CA}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Documents and Settings\AB\Application Data\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {AFBC2343-3DCB-4047-9655-E1E62A61B1C5}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {AFBC2343-3DCB-4047-9655-E1E62A61B1C5}
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'LAV Splitter (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
        Host: C:\Documents and Settings\AB\Application Data\J River\Media Center 17\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {AFBC2343-3DCB-4047-9655-E1E62A61B1C5}, Format type Unknown GUID Name: {AFBC2343-3DCB-4047-9655-E1E62A61B1C5}

The only minor flaw is the incorrect bitrate display. The "live" bitrate on the top display is 352 kbps and the Bitrate library field shows the bitrate value of the uncompressed data (1411 kbps).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:41 pm »

JRiver, if you need samples here is a great live recording (worth of listening in any format):

http://archive.org/details/bfft2002-08-10.adk-a51tl.shnf

In general, even if Shorten support will be added, I'd recommend to convert the Shorten files to FLAC or APE (aka Monkey's Audio).

I converted the above linked live recording to FLAC. The resulting files are about 10% smaller and of course FLAC supports tagging (Shorten doesn't). APE would probably compress even a bit more.

The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 03:04:15 pm »

Thanks for doing the leg-work Alex.  The next build will play and convert "Shorten" (SHN) format files.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

NuB

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »

Thanks to all for taking the time to provide feedback, suggestions, best current practice recommendations, potential workarounds and MC build revisions.  

Best regards to all, NuB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

Because of your questions, shn suppot was added.  It's in a build that should be available in a few days.

Frobozz

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 02:29:05 am »

JRiver, if you need samples here is a great live recording (worth of listening in any format):

http://archive.org/details/bfft2002-08-10.adk-a51tl.shnf

In general, even if Shorten support will be added, I'd recommend to convert the Shorten files to FLAC or APE (aka Monkey's Audio).

I converted the above linked live recording to FLAC. The resulting files are about 10% smaller and of course FLAC supports tagging (Shorten doesn't). APE would probably compress even a bit more.

Nice!  That one is a keeper.  :)
That's why I love eTree and the archive.org Live Music Archive.  There is so much good music there.

Cool to see that SHN playback support will be added (we didn't know it had it all along, just needed to click our heels three times and edit some config files).  There's still lots of good music out there in SHN format.  I certainly have lots (though duplicated to FLAC).

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »

Shorten support is now available in the build 17.0.144.

The support is a bit limited because the decoder filter does not support seeking and does not provide duration info, but at least playback works and Shorten files can be converted inside MC to other more usable lossless formats.

I just did another small compression comparison:
Shorten: 203 MB
FLAC (-8): 181 MB
Monkey's Audio (High): 172 MB

NuB

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:31 am »

Hi All,  I have been making progress with organizing my music library in JRiver.

Here is my set up.  Home Server, PC, laptop and an Android each with JRiver or Gizmo installed.  The home server holds the main library that is loaded onto the PC or laptop on startup with the access code. 

I have loaded a few folders of .shn files into the library on the server.  I added two tagged fields for Artist and Album.  When navigating to the album in .shn format on the PC, playback works great.  When selecting the same album on the laptop or via Gizmo, I get a second or two of the track and then the player moves on to the next track where I get a second or two of music and keeps moving through the tracks. 

Does anyone have any ideas why it works this way on the laptop or have any pointers on how to hide the .shn folders when I'm on the laptop or Gizmo.  Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up