INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 -- Post problems here  (Read 2646 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Windows 8 -- Post problems here
« on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

Please post any problems with MC here.  Include the full version of MC that you're using.  17.0.99, for example.

I haven't sees any problems yet.

daplacidone

• Recent member
Re: Windows 8 -- Post problems here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:06:47 am »

Everything works the same except for video playback in 17.0.99 files take forever to open and often gets hung all video codecs

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:15:21 am »

Everything works the same except for video playback in 17.0.99 files take forever to open and often gets hung all video codecs
I haven't seen this.  Movies and home video work fine for me. 

What do you mean by "gets hung all video codecs".  Not working with all types of files?

A virus checker?

daplacidone

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:13:33 pm »

all types of video are the same ...avi m4v mpg ....all take forever to open ..... and it gets hung if i touch the screen when i try to open video

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »

I just had to use google to find out how to shut windows 8 down. I don't see me rushing out to upgrade from seven!

daplacidone

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »

reminds me of the first time i used an apple computer and could not figure out how to eject a cd.... I also had to google that

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 01:45:37 pm »

I kind of like the new interface. Works great on the tv from couch distance. Nothing I would consider for my work computer though.
I think it will do well as a home media and tablet os, but I doubt it will attract anyone in a professional environment.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:49:15 pm »

all types of video are the same ...avi m4v mpg ....all take forever to open ..... and it gets hung if i touch the screen when i try to open video
Try setting Video to Red October Std.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »

17.0.99 working fine on a 64 bit system

Dieter Karner

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:17 am »

17.0.99 - I cant get startup working. MC is listed in the startup section of the task manager but it does not start automatically when I boot

Dieter

Amadan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Mine. Mine. Mine.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 04:56:16 am »

MC 17.0.99 is working fine here on Windows 8 CP 64-bit. Everything is running smoothly

Stefan

daplacidone

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »

it was actually set on that already so i tried hd and seems to be working better

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:02 pm »

17.0.99 - I cant get startup working. MC is listed in the startup section of the task manager but it does not start automatically when I boot

Dieter
Try installing MC again.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:15 am »

New install (non upgrade) of Win 8 x64 is working fine after working out a few driver issues and for the most part it was smooth sailing.
The only things that came up worth mentioning are when the browser was set to chromium a new tab (Start page) loaded slowly and
there where some drives that were reassigned while the drive labels remained constant.
That made me wonder if it would be possible for MC to use drive labels instead of letters since Windows will change the drive letters
as it sees fit but will leave the labels alone.

Example; [Drive] letter (label) (Bolded drives were enabled/disabled with their respective Win version)
Win 7:   [WD Velociraptor 600GB] C (System),  [Seagate 1TB] X (Music),     [Seagate 2TB] Y (Video),    [WD 3TB] Z (Backup)
Win 8:   [WD Raptor 150GB] C (New Volume),   [Seagate 2TB] D (Videos),   [Seagate 1TB] E (Music),     [WD 3TB] F (Backup)

I know me having to go into Disk Management to reassign drive letters is a minor inconvenience but the ability to migrate from system to system
using labels would be another one of those things that makes MC as a whole more than the sum of it's parts.

While I am thinking about it why hasn't Windows moved past the simple drive letter system when it is obvious that it has the potential to understand
labels and leave them unmolested.
I mean really why does Windows need to use Y:\Videos\ when it could just as easily use Videos:\
Wouldn't this simplify things for people like Glynor  ;) who have piles and piles of drives. (Drive1:\, Drive2:\,....Drive99:\)
They extended the number of available hardware IRQs a few years back it is time to do away with simple drive lettering.
Sean

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01:02 pm »

Netflix in MC (or in a browser) wouldn't work, so I went to Google.  Here's what I found:

"go in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady rename “mspr.hds” to “mspr.hds.old” "

and it worked.

In Explorer, I searched for Playready and found the folder.  I renamed mspr.hds to mspr.hds.old.  Then I tried Netflix in IE from the Desktop and it worked.  It then also worked in MC.

Edit:  It worked for the first ten minutes, then died.  It looks like there is still a problem with Silverlight on Windows 8.

Chris Main

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:28 am »

17.0.99 working fine on a 32 bit (but non-touch) system

After the initial "wft" moment.. I think I actually like it, certainly for the home, casual use environment..

Dieter Karner

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:25 am »

Try installing MC again.

new install didn't help. Am I the only one with this problem?

Dieter

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 07:12:20 am »

I am getting an error message "media center was installed for a different os try reinstalling" this came up immediately after upgrading to win8, but I ran the troubleshoot compat wizard and it worked.  Then I rebooted and it tried to reinstall mc17 when I next opened the program.  So I ran the wizard again but this time no luck the message keeps coming back.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled but no matter what I do can't get in...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 07:16:02 am »

I am getting an error message "media center was installed for a different os try reinstalling" this came up immediately after upgrading to win8, but I ran the troubleshoot compat wizard and it worked.  Then I rebooted and it tried to reinstall mc17 when I next opened the program.  So I ran the wizard again but this time no luck the message keeps coming back.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled but no matter what I do can't get in...
When you installed MC, did you get build 99?  It's on the download page.

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »

Yeah I re-downloaded the latest version just in case there was an update.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:57:22 pm »

I am getting an error message "media center was installed for a different os try reinstalling" this came up immediately after upgrading to win8, but I ran the troubleshoot compat wizard and it worked. 

Did you uninstall MC and then re-install the program? I got the same message and that solved the problem.

It's funny, Windows 8's Metro Start in relation to the desktop reminds me of Theater View vs. Standard View in MC. One's a slick interface, the other is for nuts and bolts work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up