INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does JRiver handle .iso files?  (Read 22758 times)

shimrod

• Recent member
How does JRiver handle .iso files?
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:03:05 am »

I'm considering purchasing JRiver but the supported file list doesn't include .iso files. I have thousands of dvd and blueray movies in .iso format and I'm not going back and re-ripping them all. I searched the forum on .iso and iso and got no hits.

I have daemon tools lite on my computer. My windows MC (windows 7) mounts my .iso files automatically with dt when I select it to play, is this supported in JRiver?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How does JRiver handle .iso files?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:06 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Here's another thread about ISO:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70565.0

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:51 am »

You only need to select the image filetypes like iso and img to be handled by external programs. DT will mount and MC will auto play if that is selected.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

NickF

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:25:05 am »

This thread is also useful:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69840.0

Jim, it might be useful to distill the key points out of these threads and update the wiki.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

shimrod

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

I suspected there was information here, thanks for the replies. I guess the next (rhetorical, no need to respond) question is, why doesn't a forum search on iso or .iso return any of these threads?

I do appreciate the responses and I expect I'll be installing JRiver this weekend. I'm encouraged by the speed, courtesy, and knowledge of the forum participants.

NickF

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:21:10 pm »

Here is my starter for 10 for the wiki instructions.

Nick.

HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:04 pm »

Nick,
That is an excellent guide. Jim needs to add these instructions to the Wiki.  The info on the Wiki is outdated and much harder to follow.
I never ripped to ISO before, but I thought I 'd give it try to see how well it works out. First I tried without reading your guide, I had trouble. But then I followed your instructions and it was a piece of cake.

I thought you would need to use the Tools>Options>File Types  > use "External Program" (and point to the Virtual Clone Drive program) but as your guide instructed, leaving it set to "Automatic" , and set the "CD, DVD, & BD" to Auto-Play worked fine.

Since the file is an ISO, MC can't tell what the FPS, Aspect Ratio, and Dimensions are. FPS and Aspect Ratio are editbale tags, so if you know this (from DVD box, etc.) you can add it.

I personnally don't like ripping to ISO, but for those that what to retain the Menus (everything on disk), your guide makes it easy to setup.

Good Job!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 06:30:39 pm »

Here are NickF's instructions (thanks Nick):

Playing .iso DVD and Blu-Ray rips with JRiver Media Center

1.  Go to Tools > Options > File types.  Under "Data", click on "Disk Image Files" and at the bottom of the window, select your preferred Playback Method from the drop down list.
    Automatic will mount the .iso into VCD (Virtual Clone Drive.  If you use a different virtual drive, choose "Custom" and enter your program details.
2.  Go to Tools > CD, DVD & BD and, under "Auto-Play" for the relevant disc types, select Play.
3.  .iso files are currently treated as Data.   Your library import needs to include these file types.
4.  Go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders.  Under "Auto-Import, Configure auto-import, select the folder or folders where your .iso files are stored, click on Edit and ensure that the Data box is checked.
5.  Go to File > Library > Import and click on the Radar Button for "Run Auto-Import Now".  This may take a while to complete.
6.  In the left pane of the main window, click on Documents then Files.  Your .iso files should show in the right pane.  Right click on the title bar for the columns and check Media Type and Media Sub-Type in the drom down list.  This will cause these columns/Fields to show.
7.  For your .iso files, Media Type will show as Data.  Right click on Data and select Rename.  Select Video from the drop down list.  Right click on the blank entry in the Media Sub-Type column and select Rename and select Movie.
8.  You may need to rename the file.
9.  In the left pane, select Video then Files.  Scroll to find your file.
10. Right click on the file and select "Get Movie & TV Info" and select one of the data sources.  This will populate many of the fields and insert Cover Art.
11. You are now done.  Double click the file and it should play.  It will take a few seconds for the image to be mounted and for play to start.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 06:48:11 pm »

Thanks again, Nick.  I've added your instructions here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/ISO_Files

NickF

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57:51 pm »

I have made a couple of updates to these to ensure that the .iso files will mount OK when the .iso file is on a server and you want to play on a client.

Playing .iso DVD and Blu-Ray rips with JRiver Media Center

1.  Go to Tools > Options > File types.  Under "Data", click on "Disk Image Files" and at the bottom of the window, select your preferred Playback Method from the drop down list.
    Automatic can be used on the server and will mount the .iso into VCD (Virtual Clone Drive - currently free from Slysoft).  If you use a different virtual drive, choose "Custom" and enter your program details.
    External Program (Custom) should be used on a client.  Browse to the folder where your virtual drive .exe file is and select that file.  For VCD, this will be
    Program Files\Elaborate Bytes\VirtualCloneDrive\VCDMount.exe.  
2.  Go to Tools > CD, DVD & BD and, under "Auto-Play" for each of the relevant disc types, select Play.
3.  .iso files are currently treated by MC as Data.   Your library import needs to include these file types.
4.  Go to Tools > Options > Library & Folders.  Under "Auto-Import, Configure auto-import, select the folder or folders where your .iso files are stored, click on Edit and ensure that the Data box is checked.
5.  Go to File > Library > Import and click on the Radar Button for "Run Auto-Import Now".  This may take a while to complete.
6.  In the left pane of the main window, click on Documents then Files.  Your .iso files should show in the right pane.  Right click on the title bar for the columns and check Media Type and Media Sub-Type in the drop down list.  This will cause these columns/Fields to show.
7.  For your .iso files, Media Type will show as Data.  Right click on Data and select Rename.  Select Video from the drop down list.  Right click on the blank entry in the Media Sub-Type column and select Rename and select Movie.
8.  You may need to rename the file Name.
9.  In the left pane, select Video then Files.  Scroll to find your file.
10. Right click on the file and select "Get Movie & TV Info" and select one of the data sources.  This will populate many of the fields and insert Cover Art.
11. In order to get these movies to play smoothly, it is necessary to use madVR to change the frame rate.  In madVR settings, under "devices" > "your display" > "display modes" enter the display modes required for the movie types you have, e.g. 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60, 1080p59.
12. You are now done.  Double click the file and it should play.  It will take a few seconds for the image to be mounted and for play to start.

Jim, could you update the wiki please?

Nick.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:49 am »

Thanks again for the update Nick.
In case others skim through too quickly, step 1 has been updated (for ISO playback on Client machines), and step 11 is new.
Pages: [1]   Go Up