INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with J River convolver and Audiolense  (Read 5879 times)

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
Help with J River convolver and Audiolense
« on: April 08, 2012, 09:34:54 pm »

Hello to everyone-
I’m new to posting on the forums but have read them quite a bit hoping to find the answers before asking.  There seem to be quite a few people with a huge amount of knowledge about this, but I am struggling.  Please forgive my lack of understanding—when I have gotten things to work I love what JRiver and digital room correction/XO with Audiolense does, but it has been a rocky road for me.

I seem to be having a really hard time getting my Audiolense filters to work with J River Convolver in my active speaker set up—I’ve used the Audiolense WAV file, the .cfg (2.0) and my own config text file, but none of them work.

I had  been using Convolver VST as a plug in within JRiver up to this point and had some success—I had music  for the last year, but I never felt I understood why I got it to work—my config file was very strange, but it played.  With the last update to J River, that stopped working and now I have no music.   Seems like I must be missing something simple.

I have an active set up with 3 way speakers(2 woofers, 2 midranges, and 1 tweeter in each channel), bass, mids, and tweeter each driven by their own channel of amplification, fed via balanced outs from a Lynx Two B card.  All measurements and filters have been generated using Audiolense.    Here is my config file:
•   44100 2 7 0
•   0 0
•   0 0 0 0 0 0 0
•   C:\Users\owner\Documents\Juice Hifi\Audiolense 4.0\CorrectionFiles\T-room3 F-10db M-ActiveXOPolarityOFF23x32441.wav
•   C:\Users\owner\Documents\Juice Hifi\Audiolense 4.0\CorrectionFiles\T-room3 F-10db M-ActiveXOPolarityOFF23x32441.wav
All of these attempts produce no sound—Convolver says that it is converting from 2 channels to 8 channels—processing 7 paths, but the peak level remains at 0 the whole time and no music plays and the analyzer shows nothing happening.
If anyone can patiently work through this with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much, I can’t wait to get music again.
Ken

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help with J River convolver and Audiolense
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:30 am »

Hello to everyone-
I’m new to posting on the forums but have read them quite a bit hoping to find the answers before asking.  There seem to be quite a few people with a huge amount of knowledge about this, but I am struggling.  Please forgive my lack of understanding—when I have gotten things to work I love what JRiver and digital room correction/XO with Audiolense does, but it has been a rocky road for me.

I seem to be having a really hard time getting my Audiolense filters to work with J River Convolver in my active speaker set up—I’ve used the Audiolense WAV file, the .cfg (2.0) and my own config text file, but none of them work.

I had  been using Convolver VST as a plug in within JRiver up to this point and had some success—I had music  for the last year, but I never felt I understood why I got it to work—my config file was very strange, but it played.  With the last update to J River, that stopped working and now I have no music.   Seems like I must be missing something simple.

I have an active set up with 3 way speakers(2 woofers, 2 midranges, and 1 tweeter in each channel), bass, mids, and tweeter each driven by their own channel of amplification, fed via balanced outs from a Lynx Two B card.  All measurements and filters have been generated using Audiolense.    Here is my config file:
•   44100 2 7 0
•   0 0
•   0 0 0 0 0 0 0
•   0.0 Left
•   0.0 low
•   0.0 Left
•   1.0 mid
•   0.0 Left
•   2.0 high
•   1.0 Right
•   3.0 low
•   1.0 Right
•   4.0 mid
•   1.0 Right
•   5.0 high
•   2.0 Center
•   6.0 to where?
All of these attempts produce no sound—Convolver says that it is converting from 2 channels to 8 channels—processing 7 paths, but the peak level remains at 0 the whole time and no music plays and the analyzer shows nothing happening.
If anyone can patiently work through this with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much, I can’t wait to get music again.
Ken

I marked above what I think is your set-up.
Should be using ASIO output.
Can you post the Audiolense channel routing matrix? Not sure why you have that 7th center channel path?

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:51:40 am »

Thanks for the response.  Yes, I am using ASIO  output, and that is what I thought for set up as well--I have a three way speaker, so low, mids and highs on each side, just like you have marked.   

The 7th channel is a subwoofer.  It may be a strange way to do it, but worked before--which I know doesn't mean much, as I really feel like i may not have been doing it right.  I used the digital output on the Lynx Two to send that 7th channel out to a spare DAC I had.  It goes out via spdif  from the Lynx to the DAC, then gets decoded at the DAC and sends via the DAC analog out to the subwoofer input.  This may be completely wrong, but it was a way to try to get a 7th channel so I could use the subwoofer--the Lynx Two only has 6 analog outs.
Here is the audiolense XO channel assignment: (sorry if there is no image or attachment, I haven't done that before so I'll have to see if it shows up once I post this)

Ken

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 06:22:03 am »

What is the exact version you're using?  17.0.122 is at the top of this board.  Please try it.

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:46:52 am »

Thanks JimH, I will try that version.  I have 17.0.99 right now, and I just got it working.... I have music now :).  Not sure what I did or didn't do differently.   The sound is vastly different than before--in a good way--very holographic to the point of being eerie, so I obviously didn't have it right before--maybe this was a blessing rather than a curse. :D  I really love J River and it just keeps getting better!

LOVE having native convolution.  Besides my shortcomings in understanding what I need to do, its very easy to see and make changes.

I still have a few questions that linger about the process of convolution ..

The volume (I use internal volume in J River),  seems much quieter than when I was using Convolver VST.   I have amps for each channel that range from 350 watts (bass) to 200 watts each(mid/tweets) so I think that I have plenty of power (or even too much for the tweeters.), but I have 10 db of correction to deal with some bass issues in my room .  Am I right to assume that I will be losing volume in order to implement such a large correction?

I am trying to use a powered subwoofer I already own to make my homemade speakers full range.  I have a spare DAC and had been using that to send the last channel in the Audiolense file out on the digital out of the Lynx Two B, to be decoded by the dac(which is how I got Audiolense to make the measurement in the first place--the sub played the test tones), but that isn't working now-at least playback isn't--I'll have to go back and remeasure to see if that still works.

Any Audiolense/Lynx Two B users doing a subwoofer, and more than 6 channels?  How do you do it?    I did measure the sub with Audiolense before, so using the digital out to the DAC worked to get the measurement done,but doesn't work in playback now.

The sub is powered, and I even have another spare channel of amplification, but no way to get the signal from the computer for that last channel.  Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks again for anyone willing to take the time to help out.
Ken

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:27:30 am »

The volume (I use internal volume in J River),  seems much quieter than when I was using Convolver VST.   I have amps for each channel that range from 350 watts (bass) to 200 watts each(mid/tweets) so I think that I have plenty of power (or even too much for the tweeters.), but I have 10 db of correction to deal with some bass issues in my room .  Am I right to assume that I will be losing volume in order to implement such a large correction?

Ken

This may have an influence on perceived volume due to the restructuring.
17.0.87 (2/10/2012)

1. Changed: Tuned the Internal Volume slider scaling (more details here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69939.0).
Sean

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 11:17:33 am »

1. Changed: Tuned the Internal Volume slider scaling (more details here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69939.0).

Thanks, that could be.  I have noticed that one certain updates to Media Center I've noticed a change in how volume ramps up.  When I first started going to an active crossover, it was almost too loud--I hardly ever got past the first 15-20% or about 1-20 (at that time I think it was just a 1-100 scale).  Lately it seems to be more subtle early on and then really fills out toward the upper end of the volume scale. 

Am I right to assume that volume will be lost when applying convolution?

Sorry if my questions are a bit simplistic--I've kind of learned by trial and error and reading what I can of other people's forays into a fully active system, but I have to admit there are times I think I'm in over my head from both a computer and acoustics perspective.

Thanks again for pointing me towards more to read and learn from.  I appreciate it.

Ken

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

Am I right to assume that volume will be lost when applying convolution?

Normally, applying a filter like the one you generate with audiolense will attenuate digital level by some 10dB, maybe more. I usually have to increase volume after swithing on convolution. There are threads at this forum (I think) that describes the potential loss of dynamics. I have never experienced that in practice. What you do loose is amplifier headroom.

kmrylander

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

It is probably a perceived thing.  It just "seems" quieter.  It may be that because the volume slider is further along, it seems like its quieter, at least at that setting.  I don't think I usually played music with the slider anywhere in the 30s or higher, but lately it seems that it is always there and to get more realistic sound I'm in the 50-80% range.    I thought that when I went active it would actually get louder due to the removal of the passive parts that would scrub volume, but I'm certain that I don't fully understand the acoustics/math of everything that is going on.

As long as it plays, I guess I'm doing okay.

A setting I see in the Convolution menu is "Process Independently of Internal Volume".    I assumed that this would not be a good idea because I use J River as a preamp to control volume, but should this setting be checked??

Trismos

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:45:25 pm »

Hello to everyone-

I was with you in being the novice and struggling and all ... until you started posting your config files. Then I started feeling VERY inadequate. There has got to be a 'Convolver for Dummies' thread somewhere. Right? Where do you get these files? How do you understand what the different files do?

Regards
Dave

Trumpetguy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:51:40 am »

I was with you in being the novice and struggling and all ... until you started posting your config files. Then I started feeling VERY inadequate. There has got to be a 'Convolver for Dummies' thread somewhere. Right? Where do you get these files? How do you understand what the different files do?

Regards
Dave

At first it seems a bit confusing, but the learning curve is steep so donæt give up :-)
The config files used today in MC are the same as used in the (no longer developed) Convolver, link to config file:
http://convolver.sourceforge.net/config.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up