INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending files from NAS drive to networked receiver  (Read 3647 times)

paulpetoud

• Recent member
Sending files from NAS drive to networked receiver
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:22:28 am »

I have all my music stored on a NAS drive (most in normal flac files, some in 24bit flac files, and some in mp3).  I have a Denon AVR3310 receiver which is networked, and am running Media Center on my laptop.  The AVR3310 is also connected directly to the laptop via HDMI.  I have imported all the files from the NAS into Media Center.  Currently, I have no problem sending files from the NAS to the AVR3310 over HDMI, but am unable to do so over the ethernet connection (which I need to do in order to be able to play music in Zone 2).  I go into 'Player/Zones/Denon-AVR3310', and then into 'Audio/Files/X:' (X being the NAS).  But, when I select a file from the X drive (irrespective of file type) and click 'Play' I either get the message on the TV screen 'File Format Error', or, more recently, a message in Media Center 'Playback problem. Fiel could not be found.  Check filename in library matches filename on disk'.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sending files from NAS drive to networked receiver
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:02 am »

Did you try just selecting files under Audio/Artists or Audio/Albums from the tree on the left?

paulpetoud

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:10 am »

Hi.

I tried that and it didn't work.  However, I did manage to get it working last night.  The key change I made was in the Media Server settings where I flagged 'Always convert unsupported formats'.  After doing this Media Centre converted on the fly anything I played to wav files and the Denon received them.  However, I'm still at a loss as to why this was necessary since Media Centre plays all my file formats - i.e. flac, 24bit flac, mp3, wav - over the HDMI connection, and the Denon can handle all these formats too, either when being sent them over HDMI, or when 'pulling' them from a NAS drive.  Also, I'm a bit dubious as to whether converting on the fly is how it should be set up - i.e. wouldn't it lead to sound degradation ?  So, if there is a way to enable the files to go through without conversion, wouldn't that be preferable ?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:45:57 am »

Unfortunately it's often the case that devices that support both DLNA and other networking protocols are not consistent in media playback capabilities when using different protocols.

In your particular case, there isn't a downside to "converting" the files since they are just being decoded to PCM on your computer instead of the Denon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up