INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebGizmo - Audio Transcoding Settings?  (Read 1709 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
WebGizmo - Audio Transcoding Settings?
« on: April 17, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »

Good afternoon!

I have been wondering about this since WebGizmo started working correctly in iOS, which is SWEET by the way. 

When I used to use PlugPlayer, I of course used one of my DLNA servers I set up in MC.  I had one to transcode to "medium bandwidth mp3" for remote use, and another to "never convert" for use at home.

Now that I am trying our WebGizmo, and anticipating JRemote's streaming function, I wonder how transcoding works there.

I checked my settings in "Media Server" and the only place I see anything about transcoding settings is at the very bottom under "Client Options (When connected to a Library Server).  I have always had this set to, and still do, "Dont Convert Audio" as I figured this was only ever going to be used for sending around my own home to other instances of MC. 

But I have been using WebGizmo exclusively for the past week or so, and have had no dropouts.  There is no way it is sending uncompressed FLACs over 3G.  Is it? At least I dont think it can.  When I tried "Never Convert" in DLNA with PlugPlayer it would stutter beyond belief.

Is WebGizmo getting transcoded behind the scenes?  If so what are the settings?  Can they be changed (not that I want to)?  Am I missing the boat (or bus) completely?

Thanks in advance ladies and gentlemen,
Patrick

HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

Re: WebGizmo - Audio Transcoding Settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:08 am »

FYI, i did some a fair amount of time both searching the forum and the Wiki for an answer.

The WebGizmo, and Webplay Wiki entries dont mention this topic.

The Library Server Wiki entry does mention enabling auto-transcoding but I cant find it anywhere in Library Settings as it suggests.  And nothing in the Media Network Options mentions transcoding except what I mentioned above.

Thanks again,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:09 am »

I don't think there is a way to play unconverted FLAC on any iOS device.  At least, I've never heard of it. 

In the last week or so, all audio is played using HTML5 when WebGizmo is used.

Conversion settings are under Media Network.

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:54:36 am »

Jim,

Exactly my point.  I didn't think an iOS could take FLACs, nor can the network reliably stream uncompressed 16/44 audio.

So I assumed the "server" is doing something.

What setting in Media Network controls WebGizmo?

Is it the "Client Options (When connected to a Library Server)" settings?  If so, I have it set to "Never Convert", yet WebGizmo is clearly working on my iPhone.

Therefore my question is, what is actually being sent to my iPhone?

Also, if i am sharing music around my house is it respecting the "Never Convert" settings?  

Thanks!

?
Patrick

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:21 pm »

I'd like to know this too because it doesn't matter what I set it at, I still occassionally have pausing/chaching problems with my Droid X (3G network) when I play an MP3 ripped at 256kbps or higher. However, I don't have that issue with FLAC files which leads me to believe that MP3 files aren't converted down before they're sent to the device (can't download fast enough on a 3G network for 256kbps or higher) whereas they are converted when they're FLAC files.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:06:36 pm »

For html5 it's converting to medium bandwidth CBR mp3.
I'm pretty sure when it falls back to the flash player it's also using mp3.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »

Thanks a bunch Bob,

So these settings are not anywhere we can see?  Above Jim says they are in Network Settings.  I cannot find that.

This is fine with me, I just want to make sure I am not missing something.  The Wiki is either extremely out of date, as is the case with Library Server, or reticent on the subject.

Lastly, is it safe to assume when I am using Library Server between two instances of MC at home, I am not transcoding per my setting?

Thanks again for the help and clarifications,

Cheers!
Patrick

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »

Thanks a bunch Bob,

So these settings are not anywhere we can see?  Above Jim says they are in Network Settings.  I cannot find that.

This is fine with me, I just want to make sure I am not missing something.  The Wiki is either extremely out of date, as is the case with Library Server, or reticent on the subject.

Lastly, is it safe to assume when I am using Library Server between two instances of MC at home, I am not transcoding per my setting?

Thanks again for the help and clarifications,

Cheers!
Patrick
Matt knows more than I do about this but I'm pretty sure the transcode settings for WebGizmo are fixed. Library server however uses the client settings in Media Network as you suspected.

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 10:53:15 pm »

perfection.

Just wanted to ensure i wasn't missing anything.

Cheers!
Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up