INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying music to external HD  (Read 2966 times)

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
Copying music to external HD
« on: April 20, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

Had a look but couldn't find this one sorry. Have just finishing ripping all my stuff with JR. Have done it to the C drive on the desktop (win7). I want to leave it all there as I have a small sound system on the desktop. Also have JR on the laptop and want to copy onto an external HD that will be attached to the laptop up at the main sound system. Have created a smartlist on JR that has separated all my music from the rest of the families stuff. How do I copy the music on my smartlist onto the external drive? Do I right click on the smartlist --> Send to ---->  Drives and devices ----> ?? Will that send everything across? or is there more to it than that?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Copying music to external HD
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:48 am »

There is a library tool called "Rename, move, copy".  It could be used to put a copy of the files somewhere else.

Try a few before you do very many.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »

Maybe I should have got my wife to do this. She can find the butter in the fridge :)

If I go    Tools  ----> Library Tools      it says "no file selected'.
If I go    File    ----->library        there is a drop down menu  with:  import,  Main Library, Library Manager, Sync Library, Export to XML, Backup Library, Restore Library, Clear library.  That last one sounds dangerous.
I cant see Rename, move ,copy anywhere.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:33:55 pm »

In MC select the all files you wish to copy or move, with cursor hovering over these selected files Right-Click (or from the upper Menu Bar you could select Tools) then:

Select Library Tools, the select Rename, Move & Copy Files
a dialog window will appear for you to set for your desired results
. . . the game is rigged

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 01:10:07 pm »

Maybe I should have got my wife to do this. She can find the butter in the fridge :)
It's truly amazing how women can do that.  It's not there, not in sight, looked twice... "Honey, do you know where the _____ is?" and boom, they make it appear there, right in front of your nose.  I don't know how they can be so quick.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 01:29:31 pm »

Sorry guys, you are dealing with a hardcore Luddite here. Got the the Rename, move & copy files box up. Selected copy. Do I have to do anything with the stuff under that  - Directories Filepath etc? Or is it only the stuff under Preview that concerns me? Also how do I select all the stuff I want to copy over. There is 273GB of the stuff

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

I have read where men's brains are more clued into movement, ie hunting. Women, being the gathers had to be good at remembering where fruiting trees were and other stationary food sources. They say our brains are still physiologically those of the hunter gatherer. If the butter could wiggle its ass a little in the fridge it would be a whole lot easier for us.
There is also the interesting fact that colour blindness is almost entirely a male phenomenon. It is very rare for a woman to have it, although it is passed down through their genes. They reckon the reason why they don't get it is because it was very important for them to be able to distinguish and find ripe (red) fruits. That is, not be able to distinguish red and green was a big evolutionary no no. Not so important for the guys who were hiding out down the back,  pretending they were hunting (but were actually playing a form of Neanderthal golf).

I'm off to bed. Will have another go at the copying thing tomorrow. Check my previous post to see where I am up to.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »

O.K,  back to copying the music over to the external hard drive. This is where I am at:

Right clicked on a song and got the the Rename, Move & Copy files box up. Selected copy. Do I have to do anything with the stuff under that  - Directories Filepath etc? Or is it only the stuff under Preview over to the right that concerns me? Also, how do I select all the stuff I want to copy over. There is 273GB of the stuff. I dont want to be doing it one file at a time. Sorry to be asking such basic questions, but I am the other side of a computer nerd, i.e a computer ignoramus. TIA

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:40:06 pm »

Configure the stuff on the left to provide the desired destination base path, folder, and file names.  It can be as simple as setting the destination Base path, or can be more complex including folder rules and file name rules.

As you configure these, you'll see the preview show you where files will end up.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:12 am »

On my desktop here I have all the music I want to send across in a smartlist. The rules I used to separate my stuff from the rest of the families stuff (which is on a couple of internal drives) was:

File Type: wav
Not Filename: iTunes
Filename: C

I  selected copy in the top tab. I then checked the Directories box, hit browse, found the external drive and selected it. "Drive N:\ "  appeared in the Base Path tab. I hit O.K and it sent the song over no worries. Did it with another song and all good.
So how do I send all of the stuff in my smartlist  across (230GB)?  TIA

MrC

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 12:53:41 am »

Go to the smartlist, select all the files, and do the same thing.  Check the previews for confirmation of where they'll end up.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:13:08 am »

Sent a couple of albums across by right clicking and highlighting on the smartlist.  When I open the external drive up there is just a list of songs. That is, it doesn't look like it does here on the desktop with the album name and the columns with the info.etc. Will it look like that when I hook the drive up to the laptop (it has JRiver installed)?

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:31:17 am »

Please see previous post as well. I hooked the external drive with the 2 albums on it up to the laptop and all looks good. I havent configured all the columns on it yet so its not exactly the same. However on my desktop here the album name is listed(in large type) and all the songs under it. On the laptop it doesnt have this.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:11 am »

Mr C

Its o.k. I found it under audio. So all good. Thanks. I will send it all across and go and have a couple for my efforts. It will take a while so I might have a couple for you as well :)

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:30 am »

Finished copying music to external HD/laptop and it looks like its all there but it looks like a dogs breakfast. Tracks all out of order, no album name with the tracks underneath it etc. How do I get it looking the same as on the desktop I copied it from? Imported the playlist that I copied from and it appears under imported playlists but it is empty.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:14:42 am »

Please see previous post. So under "Audio" I found "All Albums". However quite a few of them are broken up for some reason. They weren't like this on the source. Any idea how to integrate them all so they appear like they do on the source?

MrC

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:41 am »

Its hard for me to determine exactly where you're having trouble.  If you can be more specific when possible that will help.

I think you're saying you now have the tracks copied to another system, but after import via MC on that system, the tracks do not fall into the groupings you expected to see.

If so, this would be due to the tags in the files having not been correct on the original end.  Do you have the setting enabled to save to tags when file info changes?  Did you make changes to the file properties (aka tags) in MC while this was off, but not update the tags from the library?

It is also not clear to me where you ended up copying all the files.  Did they all end up in one directory?  Or are they arranged in some folder scheme such as Album Artist (auto)\Album?

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 11:51:04 am »

Hi again,
Thanks for your patience.  Here is a where I am at. Ripped all my CDs with JRiver on the Desktop computer. Created a smartlist to separate all the stuff I had ripped from other music on the computer. So everything is fine there. Have them grouped by album and all the tracks are in order under the album heading. None of the albums are fragmented. Hooked up an external drive to the desktop to copy the files to as I want to attach it to the laptop up with the sound system. It has JRiver installed also.
Highlighted all the albums in the desktop smartlist (330 of them)--->Rename,Move & copy files---->copy selected----> Directories box checked-----> hit browse and found the external drive---.O.K-----> All in order on the right under preview----> hit o.k.

("Do you have the setting enabled to save to tags when file info changes". Yes I had a look and that is enabled on the laptop.)

I have attached the external drive to the laptop. Did a manual import from that drive. Under "Recently Imported" I can see all the music however it is all over the place with no album headings. If I go to the top and hit Recently imported there is a drop down menu with List Style, Sort By, Columns etc. In the "Sort By" menu there doesn't seem to be anything  there that will put the music in order as it is on the desktop computer.
If I hit "Audio" on the lefthand menu the music all shows up but once again it is all over the place. If I hit "Albums" --> "All Albums" probably only half of it looks like it should (I have the same columns settings on both computers). Half of the albums are intact. The other half are fragmented and all over the place. For example there will be an album heading with 2 songs under it. Somewhere further down that album will appear again with a couple more of the songs under it.   ???

MrC

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »

Take a look at one of the problematic albums.  Select all the tracks in that album, and take note of:

- the Album name in Action Window > Tag
    Does it show the album name, or does it say [Varies]?

- the file locations.
    Are all the tracks in the same directory?

- the Artist and Album Artist names
    As in Album above, look for a consistent single name, or [Varies]

If there is variance, make the relevant changes locally so that you can see how this stuff works.  Then, you can go back to the source and make the necessary corrections.

When properly tagged, imported files will appear correctly in the default MC views.  The albums will appear as split into multiple groupings when there is variance in one or more of the relevant tags used by the view.

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 12:46:39 pm »

If I go "Audio"----> "Albums"--->  "All Albums" and look at the fragmented album tracks over in tags the album name is as it should be. Similarly if I hit "Recently Imported".

If I hit "Audio" however, in the "Filename' Column there are many songs that have [Varies]. All  the rest have D:\etc. However if I highlight the song and look over in tags it has the correct Album name. [Varies] only appears in the Filename when you select "Audio"

When I hooked up the external drive to the desktop computer, it gave the drive the designation "N".
 And in the Rename, Move & copy files---->copy selected----> Directories box checked-----> hit browse and found the external drive, it gives the Base Path as N:\
However the laptop calls the external drive (D:). Could this be the cause?

MrC

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 07:31:50 pm »

So that you can better understand how MC works, use the Audio > Panes view for now.  You can add additional columns to the File List so you can more easily see any interesting fields.  This will allow you to explore the field values for the tracks more easily at once.  Don't use your eyes to tell you Album or Artist is the same for all the tracks in an album.  Our minds often tell us what we already believe, blinding us to reality.  Let MC tell you - that's why it is suggested to select all the album tracks, and use the Tag Action Window, looking for the single value, or [Varies].

Windows will assign a drive letter to a drive, and this usually differs across several systems.  Since you're going to move this drive back and forth between systems, you should assign it the same drive letter on both systems (M: or N: for example).  That way, the Filename (path) field for each track will be correct on both systems.

Of course Filename and Filename (name) will vary when you select multiple tracks, because the file name does vary across tracks.

Trust that MC does indeed create groupings based upon the values in the fields.  If they are consistent across tracks, MC will perform as expected.  When tracks are split across albums, its because you're not seeing some slight variation (upper vs. lower case such as "the" vs. "The", etc.).

prufrock

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 11:26:35 pm »

There is no way I can go in and manually correct/ check all the [Varies] entries as there are just too many. I have wiped the external drive and will try again. What I don't understand is this: here on MC on the desktop nothing is out of order - all the songs are correctly listed under the album headings and everything is as it should be. Doesn't this mean everything is correctly tagged etc. to start with? Why would that change when I copy to an external HD  and attach it to the MC on the laptop? I have tried to assign the same drive letter (N:) to the HD when attached to the laptop but the laptop insists on calling it (D:)(N:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up