INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I did something very wrong and need help  (Read 2153 times)

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
I did something very wrong and need help
« on: April 30, 2012, 11:24:16 am »

I have now more than 800 albums on my MC.
When I tried to correct some Tags, in the case to put Pavarotti instead Luciano Pavarotti, something happened and all my albums now are Pavarotti's.
All the work I have done seems to be gone.
Is there a way to go back to the previous Tags? I hope so and also hope that someone can help in a way that I will understand.
Best regards

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: I did something very wrong and need help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:31 am »

Restore your most recent library backup.
File>Library>Restore Library
If you need to browse to where the backups are located and don't know where you kind find that information in Tools>Options>File Location>Program Files>Library backups
Sean

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:42 am »

good luck

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:53:28 am »

Thank you very much Sean. You saved my day. I was so depressed...

I have restored the library as you told me, but I miss several cover arts and the albums I have imported yesterday are not there, but this is not a problem. I will import them again.
How can I get the missing cover art?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:01:58 pm »

I have now more than 800 albums on my MC.
When I tried to correct some Tags, in the case to put Pavarotti instead Luciano Pavarotti, something happened and all my albums now are Pavarotti's.
All the work I have done seems to be gone.
Is there a way to go back to the previous Tags? I hope so and also hope that someone can help in a way that I will understand.
Best regards

Hi, Urbanito.

Scolex's advice is valid.  It will restore the MC database to a previous setting.  You might want to do an additional step to get the contents of the music files back.  

Explanation:  Your tag values are stored in two places: in the music files themselves and in the MC database.  The contents of those two locations may or may not be the same depending on several settings in MC.

1. On the edit menu, the "Update Tags when file info changes" command.
2. In the Manage Library fields dialog, each field has a checkbox setting "save in file tags when possible".
 (From the Tools menu, the Options command and the Library & folders page, click on Manage library fields.)
3. In the General page of the Tools/Options dialog, the "Update tags when file info changes" checkbox.

Action for you:

- Turn off the setting in 1. above.
- Then follow scolex's advice.
- Turn on the setting in 2. above for the Artist field.
- Select all your files and Right-click on them. In the menu that appears, select "Library Tools" and then "Update Tags from library".

This will ensure that the correct Artist tags are present in your files as well as in the MC database.

Good luck.

Bill

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 12:26:47 pm »

Also, I believe you could have 'undone' the process with a simple ctrl-z after it had completed.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 12:36:30 pm »

How can I get the missing cover art?

I have never had that happen before and I have done a library restore many times.
The easiest way to get them back would be to create a smart list to show files that are missing cover art (see below). Select all of the files then right click and choose
Cover Art>Quick Find In File / Cover Art Directory.

If however the image file tag field is populated but incorrect it will not appear in the list and you will have to investigate further to determine what went wrong.
It could be that some files were moved around between the time that the backup was created
and restored.

Also, I believe you could have 'undone' the process with a simple ctrl-z after it had completed.

This is true and for whatever reason I always forget about it. I am surprised that MC didn't ask the "are you sure..." like it normally does when you edit many tags at once.
Sean

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:42 pm »

Thank you very much Bill.
I followed all your steps and, by the end, when I "updated Tags from library", the results were:
10356 files updated
793 failures.
I am still missing some covers that were there.
What shell I do?

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 01:33:39 pm »

Hi Sean:
I have replied to Bill before looking to your new post and I am quite lost in this moment.
Than, what is your suggestion. I am concerned with the results of the process recommended by Bill. What that means that I have 793 failures?
If you can or wish to enter in my computer, I will be very glad. However, this time, it will be great if I could call you in order to talk instead of writing.
Many thanks again
Joao

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »

Thank you very much Bill.
10356 files updated
793 failures.

MC tried to write write tag values in those 793 files and was unable to.  Possible reasons:

-  you moved the files from the location where MC thinks they were stored or

-  you deleted the files

- the files have the read-only attribute set.

You might use Windows Explorer to count the number of music files you expect to have in your library.

You can also use MC to determine where MC thinks your files are located.

Bill

Urbanito

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:49:44 am »

Thanks again, Bill
Sometimes I find duplicated tracks in several Albums, like track 1 and track 1, track 2 and track 2, until the end of the album.
Then, I delete the duplicates. I started deleting them from library, but they come back. Then I deleted the duplicates again, but sent them to recycle bean.
Can this be the reason why I received those failures? This because they come back when I restored the library and not before, when everything was already OK.
The number of albums is still the same, but the ones I had imported the day before yesterday, witch didn't appeared after restoring, but I have them on a desktop album and can import them again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up