INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MC17, Same issue  (Read 2447 times)

JIMV

• World Citizen
New MC17, Same issue
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:45:33 am »

I have MC17 on two laptops. Both play the program great and both more or less work with Gizmo.

That said both also have the same annoying quirk. When the program is opened it works great. As long as it is playing music I have no problem. When, however, the program is not playing but is still open, it will eventually...

keep the icon on the taskbar but cannot be expanded from there nor can it be closed or played. I have to do a control/alt/delete and then task manager to close the program and then restart it. Task Manager lists the MC as 'not responding'.

This is on two Toshiba laptops running Windows 7. It did exactly the same thing with my old Sony Vista Laptop. I have the latest version of MC17.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New MC17, Same issue
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 11:47:46 am »

Any third party plug-ins in use?

Are you using MC as a client for a server that isn't available?

What else is similar between the machines?  Virus checker, for example.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:22:56 pm »

No 3rd party plug ins with MC17

Only available servers

Virus currently is Bitdefender but I have used Webroot with the same issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 01:29:38 pm »

Sorry.  I don't know what the problem is.  It's not normal.

You could try using logging in MC's Help menu to see what you can learn.

A drive spun down could be slow to respond.

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »

For your consideration, it might be worth while to have a sticky thread which lists any software that has known issues, like registry software.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 05:22:37 pm »

We have one and it's called Weird Problems.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:36 pm »

I wrote asking for help on an issue a good year ago without success. I have MC17 on two laptops. Both play the program great and both more or less work with Gizmo. That said both also have the same annoying quirk. When the program is opened it works great. As long as it is playing music I have no problem. When, however, the program is not playing but is still open, it will eventually...

keep the icon on the taskbar but cannot be expanded from there nor can it be closed or played. I have to do a control/alt/delete and then task manager to close the program and then restart it. Task Manager lists the MC as 'not responding'.

This is on two Toshiba laptops running Windows 7. It did exactly the same thing with my old Sony Vista Laptop. I have the latest version of MC17...

I have no idea why it does this...it is as thought eh program goes to sleep mode and refuses to wake up. Is there a fix??

Your problem may not be caused by JRiver MC but by the audio output device or perhaps the combination of JRiver MC and the output device.  We would need more information to explore these possibilities.

Q. How are you getting audio out of your laptops?

analog output connector on the laptop?

DAC connected by USB?

other connection?

Q. Which output method are you using?  DirectSound?  WASAPI?  ASIO? Kernel Sound?

Q. If you are using an external audio output device (DAC), can you provide the brand name (maker and model)?  Does it use drivers provided by the maker or drivers that are in Windows?

Bill

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »

First it was present on a Sony Vaio running Vista. The music was coming out via the headphone outlet on the PC. From there to a Monsoon powered set of speakers.  The MC setting was WAV out and most of my files are either WAV or FLAC rips of CD's at 16/44.1

In addition, I had MC set up on an ancient Desktop running XP with very limited memory. Same setup and same MC settings. In November the XP desktop crashed so I replaced it with a Toshiba i3 Laptop running Windows 7 having 4 times the memory. At the same time I changed out my virus protection from Webroot to Bitdefender with no change to the problem we are discussing.

A few weeks later I traded the Sony laptop for another Toshiba i5 machine...Same problem. In December I connected a Nuforce USB UDac-2 to the i3 machine via the USB output and am now able to play 24/96 files using Wasapi or Wasapi Event...I still have the same issue on all machines.

I guess I am saying that the problem is common to 4 separate PC's and two brands of virus protection regardless of the output selected or the connection. That leads me to believe it is a conflict with some other bit of software I am running but I have no idea what.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:02 pm »

So this is WebGizmo, not Gizmo.  Is that right?  And it hangs after some period of inactivity, right?

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:49:48 pm »

No, it is MC17, latest version. Gizmo has different issues (will not ever do a wake up). MC17 simply stops working and will not operate without a restart.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:19:40 am »

First it was present on a Sony Vaio running Vista. The music was coming out via the headphone outlet on the PC. From there to a Monsoon powered set of speakers.  The MC setting was WAV out and most of my files are either WAV or FLAC rips of CD's at 16/44.1

Thanks for the details.

I might try turning off sleep and seeing if the lockup still occurs.

Bill

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 10:48:16 am »

Sleep for the computer or is there a sleep function with MC17? If so, how do I access it?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:07 am »

Sleep for the computer or is there a sleep function with MC17? If so, how do I access it?

Sleep for the computer. For W7, look at Control Panel / Power Options.

I find that browser network connections fail for a moment after my desktop revives from sleep. There may be other effects of Windows behavior after sleep so I suggested a quick experiment.

Bill

JIMV

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:45 pm »

It is set to never sleep....
Pages: [1]   Go Up