INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Webgizmo and New Ipad  (Read 9531 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)
Webgizmo and New Ipad
« on: May 27, 2012, 06:41:53 pm »

Hi there,

I just got a 64gb New Ipad.  Webgizmo works great in terms of audio streming to device.  However, video is inconsistent.  Seems like I can get a video to play every now and then but most times the cursor just scrolls in a circle.  Are there and setting I need to set for video to stream properly?  Vide works great on my WDTV's just not on the ipad

Dave

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: Webgizmo and New Ipad
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:24:39 pm »

This is just a guess since I don't own any i devices but I would assume you would need videos that are supported by the iPad in html5 format.
The one that I know for sure is supported is H.264 encoded mp4. The scrolling cursor could be the file being converted for html5 format since that is
what the iPad requires.
Sean

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:53:26 pm »

That's the point.

If the video format is not supported by the ipad,MC hast to convert it into a compatible filetype.
For on-the-fly converting you will need a "very" strong PC.  ;)
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:12:42 pm »

The issue is that even if I wait several minutes, the video never plays.

btw, I have a lightning fast processor with tins of RAM so that is not the issue.

The issue seems to be some settings somewhere.

Anyone else getting video to consistently play on a NEW Ipad?

Dave

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 09:38:29 pm »

I have a Quad-Core CPU and 8GB of DDR3 Ram and it isn't fast enough for converting on-the-fly.

It also depends on the Format it gets converted.Some need more power for converting than others.
Take a look at it.

And have a look at the Task Manager (PC) when starting playback on the Ipad.Then you can see if your PC is fast enough.

Onkyo TX-NR906

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »

Where do I set the conversion ??
under Client OPtions > video conversion?  Would this also result in file conversions when playing video on my wdtv?  Is there a way to set conversion only for files being accessed via webgizmo or JRemote?

Should I set it to mp4240p?

help

dave

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »

Yes, settings in Network Media->Client, and
No,you can set it to Convert only if needed.

.flv gets converted fast,but i don't know if the ipad can handle flv.
Onkyo TX-NR906

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 10:06:50 pm »

where can i set to convert if necessary?  I do not see that option for video but only for audio

FLV will not play on an ipad.

So I am still having the same issue.... I can not play video files on the ipad

(I should have gotten an android... my wife wanted the ipad)

Dave

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 10:38:01 pm »

Using DLNA Server
Media Network->Add DLNA Server->"Your Server"->Video->Only convert if necessary.

You also need a DLNA ready Player:
MLPlayer for Example is Freeware.

btw...Yes,you should have bought an Android Pad ;D
Onkyo TX-NR906

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 01:30:11 am »

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but MC does not seem to be able to stream MP4 H.264 AAC to a "web client", do not even think of on-the-fly converting  :-[

Anyhow, you can try the ingenious Air Video App (there is also a free version for testing). The free server is very easy to set up (http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html) and converted every format I tested so far. App and server offer a nice GUI. AirPlay integration of the app works seamless. You will be amazed how fluently on-the-fly converting will work. Even on a slower iCore 3 I'm using CPU load is low.

I really hope MC will integrate something like this some day...

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 02:06:53 am »

I don't really see the difference between Airplay and MC's Method.

Airplay:

"Live Conversion
    If the videos in your collection are not in format supported by iPhone or iPad, Air Video will convert them on fly*.You don't need to wait until the entire video is converted. You can start watching it almost immediately!
    * Live Conversion requires iPhone or iPod touch with firmware 3.0 and a sufficiently powerful computer (Intel Core 2 duo or equivalent processor is recommended."

It is basically the same method.

If it works really on-the-fly it must encode in really low resolution to achieve this.->Low Quality

MC 17:
I tried it with flv on my phone->That worked good on-the-fly with my Quad-Core CPU.
MP4 ->No Chance

So encoding must be done neither it's MC or Airplay.
It isn't a magic App.It must reduce Quality more than MC.That's it.
Sure for a Phone/Pad Screen Size you can reduce Quality a lot until you see a difference.
Onkyo TX-NR906

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 02:39:32 am »

I didn't read all of the responses because I am too tired but I can tell you that the client options don't have anything to do with Gizmo/WebGizmo and the conversion for them is less than desirable or at least it has proved to be in my tests. I recently tested the conversion process and it is NOT good IMHO, I say this because it converted media that I had already made stream ready based on my available upstream bandwidth yet it still converted it and the conversion was much higher (example 2 of reply 11).
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72375.msg489888#msg489888
Read the thread to get an idea of the context, my replies, #7 and 11 are relevant to this thread to a degree IMHO.
There may be a difference when transcoding for html5 as far as bit rate but I don't have a way to tell since all my devices fall back to flash.
Sean

HiFiTubes

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 02:55:51 am »

I agree Scolex, and I think there is some mis-information in this thread regarding setting Client options. I may be mistaken though.

Those pertain to that machine, thus, you would set on a Client the settings for video transcoding.

Not sure how WebGizmo settings are applied for the iPad.

I built a new server, and had not installed Quicktime/Quicktime Lite. My Kitchen Client would stream an MP4, so I switched to no conversion on the client, and it worked. I finally got around to installing Quicktime Lite on the server and then I could stream a native Mp4 file to Kitchen Windows Client and my iPad.

I'm new to WebGizmo and I will try looking at some more settings in the Network section and see if I can transcode to FLV or MP4 on the fly.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:36:24 am »

Some results for Air Video... App is set to Resolution 1280px x 720px / Quality 70% / 2560 kbit/s

The Air Video server internally uses ffmpeg for conversion. It's running on a Core i3 M370 @ 2.4 GHz here.
Converting a 1280x528 MKV it uses constantly 75% to 90% CPU load.
Converting a 640x320 DivX it uses 20% to 80% CPU load for 2 seconds, than pauses for 5 seconds and so on.

All videos look very good on the iPad 2, in no case less good than the original file on the PC's Screen. Sharp, crisp, no artifacts, no stuttering. I think these are good on-the-fly conversion results for a setup without any fumbling.

EDIT:
It isn't a magic App.It must reduce Quality more than MC.That's it.
Yes, there is no magic. Air Video just shows it's technically possible. Anyhow, combining usefull settings with a nice GUI to an easy to use package rarely happens (at least in the windows world). So calling it "ingenious" might not be that eccentric...

HiFiTubes

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 05:22:44 pm »

I found the Server settings for video conversion. Nothing works except native MP4.

Some mkv files start the http request in the log but stop after converting a bit. Wheel just keeps spinning on the iPad.

I tried all the formats in the video conversion options to no avail.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »

I must say that Iam quite disappointed.  The only reason I puchased the IPAD was so that I could watch media on it via jriver.

Some sort of warning would have been nice, especially given that there are ipad apps that support jriver.

Would an android play avi and mp4 files natively?

Dave

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:16 am »

Would an android play avi and mp4 files natively?
On my NexusS Gizmo plays allmost everything (without conversion), of course FlashPlayer must be installed.

But apart from native support for video codecs, in my opinion the iPad is overall still the best tablet pc... I would not swap
it for an android. Well, others may see this different ;)

I must say that Iam quite disappointed.  The only reason I puchased the IPAD was so that I could watch media on it via jriver.
Some sort of warning would have been nice, especially given that there are ipad apps that support jriver.
Also the iPad does not support much video codecs natively, there are a lot of DLNA apps that do so. Have you tried one of them?
If video is the main focus, I would recommend "AirPlayer". Not a nice GUI but works good with MC and plays various video files better
than PlugPlayer and several other apps I've tested.

I still hope that JRiver fixes video conversion in a way that it's also usefull for iOS devices. It would be much easier then for apps
like My River and JRemote to offer also a good video support...

EDIT:
I've still installed MC16. It offered "WebPlay". If "WebPlay" could not play a file on the iPad, it was possible to select another app to play
the file (the browser is closed, the other app is opened and the file starts to play). I've used "FlexPlayer" for this purpose and it
worked for allmost every file. Also "WebPlay" is still offered on the MC17 "Library Server" HTML start page, it seem to be broken. I guess
it was replaced by "WebGizmo". Maybe it is possible to (re)implement the "play with other app funktion" for "WebGizmo"?

NickF

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:46 am »

I'm sure I remember reading somewhere on the Forum that HTML video has not been implemented yet on WebGizmo.  It has been sorted for audio.  I can't remember where I read it, unfortunately.

If Bob reads this, perhaps he could give us a heads up.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 09:27:15 am »

Hi there,

I have finally found some time and installed Air Video and divx files play perfectly on an IPAD.

Any plans for MC to improve the transcoding engine?  I have not been able to get MC to stream divx media to an IPAD yet, air video does not even result in a minimal delay in video streaming.  Thos is the one weakness that I have found so far in MC17...

the other thing that I would like to see is information in the overview section for media being streamed to connected devices, internet connections, etc  (that is, information on ANY video/audio file being streamed via MC17 to anywhere) and not just to zones.  The media network area of Services and Plugins is just too busy.

Dave

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 11:22:45 am »

Fyi, I'm using JRiver and Plex Media Server side by side and it works perfectly fine. I recommend giving a Plex a try for troubleshooting or until your problems are fixed.

I will say I don't like how Webgizmo doesn't put my shows into season folders (at least by default, maybe there's a way to get this working).

MrHaugen

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 04:19:17 am »

You can customize all views. Options - Media Network - Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo.
Adding season tag under TV Shows is just one of thousands of combinations possible.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

You can customize all views. Options - Media Network - Customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo.
Adding season tag under TV Shows is just one of thousands of combinations possible.

I tried following the guide here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70195.0. Unfortunately, none of the changes I make appear in WebGizmo or Gizmo. I'm in "customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo" under Options -> Media Network -> Advanced.

Edit: I also just noticed that webgizmo is not keeping up to date with the videos added to my library. Maybe that's related. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread. Maybe I should start a new one.

MrHaugen

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:12 pm »

Probably a good idea. Seems like more than a one reply thread :)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

NickF

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:37 pm »

I tried following the guide here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70195.0. Unfortunately, none of the changes I make appear in WebGizmo or Gizmo. I'm in "customize views for Gizmo & WebGizmo" under Options -> Media Network -> Advanced.

I've just noticed the same - customise WebGizmo doesn't work.  I thought it might be a browser cache issue but I cleared mine and the changes still don't show.

Nick.

HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

NickF

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 06:10:54 pm »

OK, you need to restart MC17 client and server.  Now it works.

Nick.

lockdown571

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 07:05:56 pm »

OK, you need to restart MC17 client and server.  Now it works.

Nick.

Yep that did it.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 07:19:53 am »

I am still hoping that transcoding will be seen as an area that needs to be improved within MC, especially given that other software (aid video, Plex Media Server) have been found to work.

Please raise this in importance...

Dave

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »

On my NexusS Gizmo plays allmost everything (without conversion), of course FlashPlayer must be installed.

Jelly Bean no longer supports Flash in any way.  Devices, like the new Nexus 7 tablet, come with Chrome installed, and Chrome doesn't support the old FlashPlayer install.

You can probably get a 3rd-party browser to do it in a pinch, but...  ::)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »

Jelly Bean no longer supports Flash in any way.

My understanding is that you can still install Flash Player, just as always.

For example:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28001504

This will allow Gizmo on Android, including Android Jelly Bean 4.1, to continue to play any video format supported by Media Center.

For iPad, we hope to add HTTP Live Streaming support at some point.  They say Android 3.0 should also support this, although we haven't tried it ourselves.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2012, 04:42:31 am »

Adobe seems to be serious about killing Flash on Android as soon as possible:
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html
Looks like it's time to jump on the html 5 train now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:10 am »

My understanding is that you can still install Flash Player, just as always.

Nope:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2012/06/flash-player-and-android-update.html

Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th.

The easiest way to ensure ongoing access to Flash Player on Android 4.0 or earlier devices is to use certified devices and ensure that the Flash Player is either pre-installed by the manufacturer or installed from Google Play Store before August 15th. If a device is upgraded from Android 4.0 to Android 4.1, the current version of Flash Player may exhibit unpredictable behavior, as it is not certified for use with Android 4.1.  Future updates to Flash Player will not work.  We recommend uninstalling Flash Player on devices which have been upgraded to Android 4.1.

EDIT:  Ahh, the fishy-one beat me to it.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up