INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Setup Netflix  (Read 9039 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Can't Setup Netflix
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

Trying to setup Netflix under Tools/Options/Services. I click on Manage Netflix Account and a small red window appears that says 'Connect To Netflix Account. So I click on it and nothing happens. If I do the same thing for Hulu, Last.fm, Twitter or Computer Audiophile it opens an entry box and or sends me to the browser. But nothing with Netflix. Running version .165. Just updated from .164 but that didn't help.

Any help would sure be appreciated. Going to see if we can cut down on our CableTV bill.

Thanks,
Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can't Setup Netflix
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:24:48 pm »

Canada?  Sorry.  Problems have been reported there.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:35:22 pm »

Canada?  Sorry.  Problems have been reported there.

Thanks for the prompt response Jim. I'm using "UnblockUS" which makes my computer appear to be in the US - at least it does to Netflix. It has allowed me to open a US Netflix account. I can watch a movie on the computer brownser which is Firefox.

Perhaps it is not making my computer appear to be in the US to your server though. Could that be a problem? If so I'll look into seeing if UnblockUS can make my computer appear to be be in the US to your server.

All this still seems odd though that the Netflix account box wont even open in MC17 setup.

Rod

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:38 am »

Are you familiar with running "Fiddler2" for capturing internet transactions?  It's a free program developed by a former Microsoft guy available here: http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Here's what it looks like when I click the "Connect to Netflix account..." menu choice:

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »

Are you familiar with running "Fiddler2" for capturing internet transactions?  It's a free program developed by a former Microsoft guy available here: http://www.fiddler2.com/fiddler2/

Here's what it looks like when I click the "Connect to Netflix account..." menu choice:

Hi Bob - Thanks for getting back to me. I was not familiar with Fidler, but have now downloaded it and am using it.

Since yesterday I have removed 'Unblock-US' which is not a true VPN, and have installed 'VPN Authority' which is. It is supposed to be making my computer appear to be in the US. I in fact am signed up with US Netflix, and using Firefox browser can get shows that are only available on US Netflix, not the Canadian version. So it does seem to be working. At least mostly.

Getting some very interesting results:

Still cannot connect to Netflix from MC17 Setup on our HTPC, which is also a server for a few clients in the house. Here's a Fiddler screenshot:

Notice that it went to Canada (api.netflix.ca) although the VPN is supposed to be making the machine appear to be in the US.

From my desktop Client it did work properly and it's not the machine that I have the VPN on:

So the big question is why in the world would it work properly from the client, and not the HTPC server?

Also does the Netflix Request information go through your servers?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Rod

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »

Can you open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the results? Also type "route print" and post those results. Wondering if MC is somehow not using VPN connection.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:30:49 pm »

Can you open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and post the results? Also type "route print" and post those results. Wondering if MC is somehow not using VPN connection.

Thanks very much for trying to help. Does seem to me that MC may not be using the VPN, but doesn't make sense why not.

Here they are:

Hope this all might mean something!

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:27 am »

Does seem to me that MC may not be using the VPN ...

Does IE use it?

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 08:24:07 am »

I see why Media Center is going to api.netflix.ca - it's checking the locale of the computer and setting the domain based on that.  This approach hasn't worked for Canadian users anyway, since the third-party Netflix API unfortunately doesn't support countries other than the U.S., so I'm going to remove it and always use api.netflix.com in the next build.  Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

BTW, we don't go through our own servers at all when accessing Netflix content.  As to why your two computers are acting differently, maybe the Windows "Locale" country setting is different on them?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:29 am »

Does IE use it?

Good question Jim. I ran Fiddler when logging into Netflix on IE. It seems to start me off as US and then switches to Canadian. Weird! Maybe Netflix has me as Canadian on my account somehow.

I used Firefox and it basically did the same thing; ending me at Canadian Netflix.

I just used Fiddler to check Connecting to Netflix from MC which works fine. Here's the results:

John, I had this written before you last post so thought I would post it anyway for information that hopefully may be useful to someone. I appreciate what you are going to do for the next build. Will try it and post results. Hopefully it solves the problem for us Northeners.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:23 am »

Yes the Client does have Locale US and the HTPC (server) was Canada. I just changed the HTPC to US, rebooted and tried to connect to Netflix. Same problem as before. Perhaps MC remembers Locale?

In any event your change for the next build will hopefully solve the problem.

Thanks very much for your help here.

Rod

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:39:19 am »

You should clear your cookies in IE. It is Netflix is likely using local stored there.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:54:43 am »

You should clear your cookies in IE. It is Netflix is likely using local stored there.

Agreed as I have had trouble with netflix due to cookies before.
MC keeps cookies also when using Chromium as the browser not sure if it stores them when using IE.
Sean

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 01:10:35 pm »

I just cleared Cookies in IE & Chrome - No joy.

?

1. Does MC use it's own versions of the browsers or the regular versions?

2. If the embedded versions in MC are different how do I get access to them clear their cookies?

Thanks a lot for trying to help.

rod

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 01:12:44 pm »

MC uses the browsers you have installed.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »

Thanks for the prompt answer Jim. It's been confusing because people refer to the "Embedded browser" which makes it sound like MC has it's own.

So looks like I should hang in there for the Fix by John T.

Rod

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 01:30:59 pm »

Actually it is selectable if you select IE it uses it directly through the API but if you choose Chromium it uses the standalone embedded version that was added several months back
and Chrome does not have to be installed for it to work.
Sean

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:21 pm »

I just cleared Cookies in IE & Chrome - No joy.

?

1. Does MC use it's own versions of the browsers or the regular versions?

2. If the embedded versions in MC are different how do I get access to them clear their cookies?

Thanks a lot for trying to help.

rod

If you are using Chromium then you have to clear the cookies in the J River appdata folder as it doesn't interface with Chrome directly.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71528.0
Sean

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »

I see why Media Center is going to api.netflix.ca - it's checking the locale of the computer and setting the domain based on that.  This approach hasn't worked for Canadian users anyway, since the third-party Netflix API unfortunately doesn't support countries other than the U.S., so I'm going to remove it and always use api.netflix.com in the next build.  Please try that and let us know if it works for you.

The latest Beta release has JohnT's change and it did fix the connection problem! It will probably be available soon with the regular build.

I can now log into Netflix from Canada. I'm using 'VPN Authority' VPN service which makes my computer appear to be in the US. Now I'm actually wondering if the VPN is necessary?

In any case John, thanks very much for fixing this - I'm sure many people here in Canada will also appreciate it!

Rod

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:34 pm »

VPN probably not needed. A proxy will work. That is what I use for various things. Proxy will hide your IP address. VPN will encrypt traffic. Since getting US Netflix isn't illegal, just not what the media owners want, who cares if someone eavesdrops... :)

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »

VPN probably not needed. A proxy will work. That is what I use for various things. Proxy will hide your IP address. VPN will encrypt traffic. Since getting US Netflix isn't illegal, just not what the media owners want, who cares if someone eavesdrops... :)

Would someone mind walking me through the steps on how to get Netflix to work with JRiver Media Center in Canada?  Does it work natively with build 17 now?  If so, I will upgrade right away!

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:08 pm »

Would someone mind walking me through the steps on how to get Netflix to work with JRiver Media Center in Canada?  Does it work natively with build 17 now?  If so, I will upgrade right away!

bump....

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 06:03:08 pm »

Would someone mind walking me through the steps on how to get Netflix to work with JRiver Media Center in Canada?  Does it work natively with build 17 now?  If so, I will upgrade right away!

Please keep in mind that Netflix does not want Canadians to access their US site. That's why if you use a browser and go to Netflix.com you will end up at the Canadian site.

We have stopped using Netflix because with MC17 it will not use the MC audio DSP. We need the DSP for our system. It can be done using a separate browser, but that doesn't work well for us in Theater View

What we did, as mentioned in an earlier post, was use VPN Authority at a small monthly fee. Our HTPC appeared to the world to be located in the US.

Someone else will have to answer if MC17 will work natively in Canada now. That would be nice! I'm uncertain how you would do it though. You need to open a US Netflix account to have it work. And without a  US VPS, or possibly a proxy to make your PC appear to be in the US I don't understand how you could log on to the US Netflix to open the account. So I still think you need the VPS or proxy just to open the account. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Rod

Added on Edit:  PS  The Canadian Forum  digitalhome.ca  has a lot of information on Canadians accessing US services such as Netflix and Hulu.

Tiger100

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:00 pm »

Please keep in mind that Netflix does not want Canadians to access their US site. That's why if you use a browser and go to Netflix.com you will end up at the Canadian site.

We have stopped using Netflix because with MC17 it will not use the MC audio DSP. We need the DSP for our system. It can be done using a separate browser, but that doesn't work well for us in Theater View

What we did, as mentioned in an earlier post, was use VPN Authority at a small monthly fee. Our HTPC appeared to the world to be located in the US.

Someone else will have to answer if MC17 will work natively in Canada now. That would be nice! I'm uncertain how you would do it though. You need to open a US Netflix account to have it work. And without a  US VPS, or possibly a proxy to make your PC appear to be in the US I don't understand how you could log on to the US Netflix to open the account. So I still think you need the VPS or proxy just to open the account. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Rod

Added on Edit:  PS  The Canadian Forum  digitalhome.ca  has a lot of information on Canadians accessing US services such as Netflix and Hulu.

Thanks for your reply.  I guess the answer is that Netflix will not work through JRiver 17 in Canada (similar to version 16).  Oh well.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »

Thanks for your reply.  I guess the answer is that Netflix will not work through JRiver 17 in Canada (similar to version 16).  Oh well.

It will work if you get a US VPS or similar so that Netflix thinks you are in the US.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up