INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disabling or removing play doctor functionality  (Read 1943 times)

pacwin

• Recent member
Disabling or removing play doctor functionality
« on: July 09, 2012, 05:07:20 am »

Play Doctor is a feature I would like to disable or remove. It appears to be a default page after certain background threads complete (I would rather not be pushed there after a file import scan completes). I would like to eliminate it. Can this be configured out or off.?

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Disabling or removing play doctor functionality
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:21:54 am »

I don't think it can be disabled.

+1 for the option to do so.
Windows 10 Pro x64

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 07:51:39 am »

A number of people expressed the same desire, but it has fallen on deaf ears.
. . . the game is rigged

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 08:16:28 am »

A background process does not change your view. If it were to interfere with the program by changing views or something, it wouldn't be in the 'background' anymore ;).

The "Play Doctor" is simply the 'home page' for 'Player' or 'Playing Now' when its either empty or not playing anything.

If, after an action the Play Doctor is displayed, it simply means you were sent to Playing now while nothing is playing. This happens when playback finishes while you were sitting on 'Playing now' for instance. I fail to see how being able to disable that play doctor is going to change anything. You're never sent to the "Play Doctor" page or feature you're simply on "Playing Now".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 08:28:32 am »

Expect no change.

audioriver

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »

Expect no change.

Fair enough. Could you at least consider correcting this minor cosmetic flaw? It's the Play Doctor lurking behind and cannot be completely hidden: that tiny horizontal bar will not go all the way up. It's a 2-row split view.
Windows 10 Pro x64

MusicHawk

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »

I'd also like to disable the Player main screen display of Play Doctor -- It confuses my users. Everything they do is based on carefully constructed playlists, reinforced by a custom Play display, yet before/after Play they can't avoid the prominent Player main screen area. Confused, users sometimes click Play Doctor, yielding unexpected and inappropriate results for our situation -- and complaints that something is "wrong".

Given the massive customizing possibilities of most of MC (notably, customizable Play displays/visualizations and the long list of Features that can be enabled/disabled), it seems really odd to force Play Doctor (or any particular MC tool) to the Player foreground for all users. It's an odd default for a product that offers so much versatility (and quite misleading when displayed in a video- or photo-centric MC library).

I'd much prefer configurable MC home and Player default screens, including the option to show simple HTML pages of custom instructions for our specific use of MC.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »

Obviously this has an emotional attachment for someone in a position of power.
It has been stated point blank that it will not be changed, so you are banging your head against the wall
(or beating a dead horse if you prefer)
. . . the game is rigged

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »

Obviously this has an emotional attachment for someone in a position of power.

Really? What sort of attachment is involved for those who complain about a feature that does absolutely no harm other than occupying some screen space not otherwise being used? And 'deaf ears' seems to be a better explanation for the response to many explanations of why things are the way they are and what those who choose to view PD as an annoyance can do about it. The horse died of boredom.

it seems really odd to force Play Doctor (or any particular MC tool) to the Player foreground for all users.

It's not a Player view, it's a Playing Now view. In the normal use of the program, it's for viewing what's playing now. For those who choose to look at it when nothing is playing or continue looking at it when the current playlist has completed, displaying Play Doctor is a perfectly sensible thing to do. If there is to be an option, the logical one would be to return to the originating view (i.e., the last library or playlist view from which files were sent to PN).

Fair enough. Could you at least consider correcting this minor cosmetic flaw? It's the Play Doctor lurking behind and cannot be completely hidden: that tiny horizontal bar will not go all the way up. It's a 2-row split view.

What flaw? It is a split view—requiring a splitter.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

I made this same question.

Look: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66036.0

Expect no change.

Maybe one day! I do not give up! Hope never dies. Things change, people change, programs change.

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil.

rick.ca

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:53 pm »

I made this same question. Look: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66036.0

Ah, yes. One of this horse's many prior lives. ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up