INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subwoofer decided to stop working?  (Read 1716 times)

Shawn45

Subwoofer decided to stop working?
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »

I'm totally lost. I've been using JRiver for a long time playing my msuic through my receiver which is hooked to my computer using SPDIF. Today JRiver decided my subwoofer doesn't exist - Not in video playback or music. I first tried switching cables to my subwoofer, but that changed nothing. I tried the same media files in VLC and viola! There's that thump again!!

However, VLC can never sound like JRiver does, so I'm really hoping I can resolve this.

Oddly enough, it worked before I hooked my center speaker up (after moving things about), and at first my center speaker didn't work during playback at all. Now that works and my sub doesn't  ?

I use WASAPI on Windows 7 Professional x64. I have JRiver set to play in 5.1 (which I sort of have 5.3 because I have two built-in subwoofers in my front JBLs, but those aren't seen by my receiver as subwoofers, only speakers). The only setting I can find that I changed was having "Something outside of Media Center calibrate the subwoofer". I switched it on to see what would happen, but I have switched it back off and to no avail.

PS - I have tried getting it to work in three version of JRiver (15, 16, and 17)

Shawn45

Re: Subwoofer decided to stop working?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

No one has any ideas?

Is there a way to reset my settings to default?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 03:20:11 pm »

Did you test it from Windows Control Panel/Sounds?

Shawn45

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:09:18 pm »

I only have 2 channel tests :/
Though I can get all speakers to work through other programs (Firefox, VLC, Foobar, etc).

My assumption is that the issue lies within Media Center somehow

EDIT: Actually I think the program may just be cloning the side channels but outputting louder on the given sides. If that doesn't make sense let me explain... I have multiple 5.1 test files (sound and video). One is a voice that speaks through each speaker one after the other, but I noticed the voice speaks in the left LOUDER, but also in the right. The rear speakers have the same thing, but the center works fine and no other speakers make noise during this time.
My official Dolby surround test is a video that plays different ambient-like sounds through each speaker one at a time, then all at once. I hear the tracks the same way as with the other test. In both tests the subwoofer is silent.

In movies it's very hard to really tell if this effect is still occurring. I threw in V for Vendetta as I had it the closest to me and watched the scene in the beginning with the explosions and while it sounded good, I'm not sure if the problem was present or not. Could it be I have to configure windows in something other way for this to work properly? If so, any ideas on how?

EDIT 2: Tried the same tests through VLC - the sound test only played through the front speakers, but the video test played through all but the sub. Oddly enough my sub will work through Firefox still  ::)

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »

Could it be some setting on your amplifier ? Maybe you have selected a speaker layout without your sub ?

Shawn45

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »

I tried that too sadly. I switched it to a couple different settings, disabled and re-enabled the sub. It works fine when using certain applications and doesn't do anything at all when I use surround sound. It's really confusing
Pages: [1]   Go Up