INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using a laptop/tablet to stream from a NAS to a DAC  (Read 3457 times)

karmanfamily

using a laptop/tablet to stream from a NAS to a DAC
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:20:38 pm »

Ok, here we go.
I am running J River 17 on a windows tablet and windows 7 laptop.
All my music is stored on a NAS.
I use a PS Audio PWD dac that is hardwired into a network on which the NAS is also connected.
Now, when I am playing music on the J River software, does the music stream to my laptop/tablet first and then back to the PWD dac, or does the music stream straight from the NAS to the PWD dac?

Thanks!!

Raymond

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: using a laptop/tablet to stream from a NAS to a DAC
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 06:02:51 am »

I'm not sure of exactly what you're doing, but if you're using MC to load a file from the NAS and play it to a DAC, then the file is processed by MC.

If, instead, you have two DLNA devices, you may be able to use MC as a DLNA Controller to play music from one device (DLNA Server) to another (DLNA Renderer).  Our wiki has a DLNA topic.

Welcome to the forum.

karmanfamily

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:46:56 am »

I have a DLNA compatible NAS and a PS Audio PWD with bridge (also DLNA compatible) connected on the same network.
MC I want to use as controller to send music from the NAS directly to the PWD.
Do I have to make any changes in settings to be able to use it that way?

Raymond

csimon

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:54:46 am »

In that case, you will want to use the NAS as DLNA Server, the PWD as Renderer, MC as Controller.  In MC, you will need to connect to a remote DLNA server instead of its own library.  I think DLNA servers appear automatically in the Playing Now tree, so you just need to select the NAS there?  See http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA.  Also make sure in Media Network that MC is set up to allow DLNA control of other devices.

karmanfamily

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

when I have the DAC as renderer and the NAS as server, can I use the Ipod app to play music without my laptop being on running MC17? If yes, how do I set it up on the iphone app?
It asks for a host address and port number, how do i find those?

csimon

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:34:34 am »

If you want to use J River as a media server then you need to have the machine where it is running switched on.

If you want to ditch J River then you can use your NAS's built-in media server instead and get a generic DLNA controller for the iPhone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up