INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray MKVs stuttering  (Read 5930 times)

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Blu-ray MKVs stuttering
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:22:59 pm »

After ripping a Blu-ray, I noticed all sorts of playback problems on my system. The disc shouldn't make a difference, but in this case it was "The Cabin in the Woods". After ripping the main title from this disc, I noticed that it played poorly in MC17 and Media Player Classic Home Cinema (MPC). I believe both of these apps depend on LAV filters, etc.

When I play this MKV, the audio and video stutters. Each word in the dialog is repeated a couple times. It's pretty weird.

The MKV plays back fine with VLC media player.

Before ripping this disc, I never noticed any problems. Playing Blu-rays ripped to MKVs in MC17 or MPC always worked great. I'm not sure when this problem started, but I doubt it was caused by ripping this disc. I've tried ripping a couple other Blu-rays to MKVs (I tried both the combination of AnyDVDHD and 'Another EAC3to GUI' and MakeMKV) after discovering this problem and now every Blu-ray I rip won't play smoothly with MC17.

I uninstalled my SHARK007 codecs and reinstalled the latest versions, along with the latest version of MPCa. Now MPC is working again and these MKVs play without any stuttering.

I'm running v17.0.786 and under General Video Settings, video mode is set to Red October HQ (I have a pretty fast computer, but I've also tried standard and it still stutters). Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible is checked (the problem remains if I uncheck this), and I've tried VideoClock enabled and disabled and it makes no difference.

How can I reset my video settings in MC17 to get them back to normal?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Blu-ray MKVs stuttering
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:30:16 pm »

I also tried re-installing MC17, but that didn't make any difference.

I've tried a few other things. And I just realized the problem might be caused by switching to a new soundcard on this system. Last week I swapped out an older M-Audio Delta 1010LT (because it was constantly clipping) with a new  ASUS Xonar D1. I have it set to output analog 5.1 to my amplifier, which has 6 analog inputs.

After installing the Xonar D1, I tested it with all my applications to make sure it was playing correctly. I tested it with MC17 and Windows Media Center (Windows 7) and it worked fine. When playing music with MC17, I especially enjoyed the fact that the audio no longer clipped on this system (this is my office computer). I thought I tested playing an MKV, but maybe not...

Anyhow, it seems the only problem is with these MKVs. I didn't have any problems playing 24-bit multichannel FLACs or multichannel DSF files.

I did have problems playing multichannel files when the output mode was set to ASIO, so I switched it to WASAPI. It also seemed to work with Kernal Streaming and  Direct Sound.

So I decided to see if changing the output mode would fix the stuttering with MKVs. As it turns out, the only setting that seems to work correctly is WASAPI - Event Style. It seems to work fine. ASIO only plays audio out of the left surround speaker. Just plain WASAPI only seems to play audio out of the center channel speaker. Kearnal Streaming only seems to play out of the left and center channels. I'm sticking with WASAPI - Event Style, because that seems to be the only output mode that works.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:27 pm »

Shark codecs shouldn't be needed.  Just set MC's video options to Red October Standard.  If that works, try Red October HQ. 

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:00:45 pm »

I need Sharks codecs for my other apps. I know I don't need them with MC17, and it wasn't a problem before, so it shouldn't be a problem now.

It seems my problems were/are caused by the audio driver and the audio output mode settings. It seems to work ok with WASAPI - Event Style. Any idea why the other modes don't work?

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

I had a similar problem trying to play a MakeMKV ripped Blu-Ray with Red October HQ selected in MC.  Setting it to Red October Standard worked.  May I inquire why this happens, and if this simply means my computer isn't fast enough?  I'd been using HQ to play Blu-Rays I ripped within MC and it worked fine.  Why would it suddenly not work because I ripped it using MakeMKV?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 02:46:44 pm »

I'm just wondering as its not clear to me, do ALL mkv's stutter now, or just the ones you ripped/created yourself?

scm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 02:51:56 pm »

I just ripped my first one, so I actually have no others to test out at the moment.  I don't know about the other fellow, but for me, when set to Red October HQ, the MKV would show no video, but only audio, then after about 30 seconds would skip indefinitely.  Plays fine once I switch to Standard.  I'm just wondering if I'm losing anything by using Standard, because HQ worked fine on Blu-Rays ripped directly within MC.  I am switching to ripping using MakeMKV because it allows me to deselect parts of the video and audio I don't wish to rip, so as to reduce space.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:26 pm »

I meant GreggP, he started the thread  ::)

I think you best start your own thread since your issue may have similar symptoms, it may not have the same cause.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »

All my MKV stuttered.. After changing my audio settings, the video played back without stuttering.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 12:45:20 am »

So Wasapi works fine, its just the other output modes that don't work ... I have no clue.

I use wasapi event style exclusively. When I got my Xonar (Essence ST) I tried ASIO because I was curious. I got punished with a STOP error (blue screen).

You're not bitstreaming right? You let MC handle all the decoding? What audio is it, DTS or something else? If it is a HD audio format, search the forums for dtsdecoderdll.

When playing one of those MKV's, what does CPU usage look like when it stutters? Does it look any different using Wasapi?

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:59:26 am »

Yes, Wasapi works fine. Specifically, Wasapi Event Style. I had stuttering with everything else. The worst was ASIO.

No, I am not bitstreaming. I let MC handle the decoding, but actually, I own ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater and its decoder handles the DTS decoding.

With most of my MKVs (from Blu-ray), the highest resolution audio track was encoded to FLAC. Most of these were originally DTSHD-MA or Dolby TrueHD. So I used eac3to to create the MKV and convert the audio. The reason I convert the audio is because when I first starting ripping my Blu-rays, several years ago, none of the players supporting playing DTSHD-MA and I couldn't listen to the audio without it being downsampled. Converting to FLAC was a good workaround. I still convert to FLAC most of the time, but probably don't need to. With concert Blu-rays, I like to have the audio-only tracks in my audio library for MC. So I can generate audio tracks by creating a cue file from the chapter info. This splits the audio track into individual files that I can add to my music library.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:52:19 am »

Yeh I was grasping at straws, I have no idea what could be your issue, sorry.

I'm still curious though, what happens if you create a MKV and just dump the original DTS-MA track in it? In other words, does it only happen with MKV's you've created with Flac audio in them?

I just realised I created an MKV with Flac not too long ago. My Neil Young Le Noise bluray only has LPCM tracks which cannot be placed inside an MKV. I decided to demux it to Wave and compress it with Flac. It's only 2.0 sound though. I just tested it and only on ASIO (it didn't blue screen!) it stutters, but like I said its only 2.0, not 5.1 or 7.1. Could be that with more channels it will start to stutter in other output modes too.

I've uploaded a video I made, have a look and see if that's the same as your stutters. If it is I need to find me an MKV with multichannel Flac in it and we may have something reproducable.

What's strange in my case, is that its only 2.0, but I had static noise coming from the surround speakers.

GreggP

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »

It's kind of hard to tell from your video. The stutters I experienced were much more obvious. The video appears fairly smooth, but the audio stutters are like repeated dialog.

For example, dialog like this-

On a future Earth depleted of trees and breathable air, most humans live inside the Pod, where oxygen is doled out according to class.

becomes-

On a future future Earth depleted of trees and and breathable air, most human humans live inside the Pod, where where oxygen is doled out out according to class.

It's relatively smooth, but every fourth or fifth word is repeated, with a slight jerkiness. Not sure how else to describe it.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:59:26 am »

Gregg - faulty disc perhaps - apparently that title has been recalled due to mastering errors - http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-rays-dvds-download-services/1682268-fault-cabin-woods-blu-ray.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up