INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Seasons | Series  (Read 4200 times)

reddevilmeuk

TV Seasons | Series
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:19:54 am »

I've been using XBMC for years now, but wanted to test other media servers.... so far i'm liking this, however I cannot get my head around the TV Series aspect.

my files are organised as

TV SERIES/SEASON/s01e01.mkv

I've scraped the files in the GUI, but am struggling to get season art in theatre mode, or any kind or structure in the normal mode. All files just seem to be listed under year.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

red

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: TV Seasons | Series
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:17 am »

Welcome to the forums.

First of all the best way is to configure auto-import and to have movies and tv series in separated folders or drive letters. In Tools/Options/Library & Folders you can configure auto-import. When adding a folder to import you can select which tags to apply. For TV Series, add TV Show. For movies, add media subtype Movie.

In standard view you can then see TV Shows under Types but this doesn't look organised in any way usable. To add a new view, right click on Video, choose Add Library View. Choose Empty View and give it a name. Under VIew as Panes, add Series, Seasons and Episode using the Add button. In the right part, click set rules for display and set Media Sub Type to TV Show. Click OK. At top there's a tab called Panes. Click it to choose a different list style, I prefer Tiles. Using that same menu, you can group by (More...) and choose Series. Sort inside group by Season, etc.

To get a Series/Season/Episode view in Theater view you go to Tools/Options/Theater View. Under Items to Show, add a new Category, call it Series or something. Next, right click the new created category, and add Library Item from standard View, and add the View we created before, Video\TV Series (or whatever you called it). Click and drag the TV Series added and drag it below the category created. Right click it and choose Nest.

This should create a Theater View which has Series in the Main menu, TV Series as a sub which opens Series, then Seasons and lastly, Episodes. In THeater View you choose different list styles.

I should add that these may not be the most elegant ways to do this. It's what I figured out and scraped off the boards myself, I guess it works :). Media Center is very powerful with lots of possibilites but unfortunately full control over Theater View customizations is not yet possible.

reddevilmeuk

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:56:44 am »

thanks i'll test this when i get home this evening and feed back :D

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:11:26 pm »

Also, since your files are so well organised already, you can also do a fill properties from filename command on them all. It should be straightforward enough for you to explain what your file structure is: [series]/[season]/

This should fill in the [series] and [season] tags for you. It may even fill in the episode number by looking at the filenames. You can then do a Get Movie and TV info command to scrape the metadata.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 03:39:27 pm »

The same question appears a couple of times each week now it seems. Can we please get this as a default view? People that come from almost any other media product out there are used to a season view. And please consider adding the Season images to the scraper! This is also pretty common.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »

The same question appears a couple of times each week now it seems. Can we please get this as a default view? People that come from almost any other media product out there are used to a season view. And please consider adding the Season mages to the scraper! This is also pretty common.

I admire and support your resilience in requesting this type of thing, even after the battering you sometimes take. I think this is a testament to how much you love all other aspects of MC, rather than an example of how you think it's lacking and needs criticism in this one respect.

Matt et al:
Please can we get this? Yes users are able to do this themselves, but many are NOT able, or NOT willing to learn. This is something that is simple to implement, I think, and is not worth losing sales over, IMO.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:04:00 pm »

I thought I said we would see what we can do.  It won't be soon, but we'll try to improve it in MC18.  It would help if people can agree on what should be done.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 04:06:39 pm »

I thought I said we would see what we can do.  It won't be soon, but we'll try to improve it in MC18.  It would help if people can agree on what should be done.

Sorry if I missed this. That's great news, Jim! :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »

Thanks, Jim. That sounds good. There's no immediate rush, but something should definitely be done.

If something are to be done with the views, there are a few other points that also could do with some improvements. Like default sorting for series. Because, if you first do a change for one view, you might as well fix the rest of the trouble areas. As we all know, people can get a bit annoyed of view resetting to defaults all the time. I hope that can be avoided. For instance, just let new installations get the new views? Upgrades keep their old views. They have probably fixed it to their taste anyway. For new users seeing unfamiliar views and strange sort orders can be a killer though.

If you don't mind, I can start a thread during this weekend, so we can agree on some focus points. I was planning to do something similar anyway.

reddevilmeuk

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

I would have to agree with all the points made above. Without sounding up myself, I consider myself quite technical however when moving from other media servers who mostly hand feed you certain configuration and coming to this product is a bit of a culture shock. Yes your product is very nice on the inside | outside, but for a simple TV Series view that many people are used too, I would indeed try to incorporate, otherwise you will loose quite a moderate user base.

I'm about to play with the trial version to see what it can and can't do..

thanks for all your help

red

reddevilmeuk

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:58:35 pm »

InflatableMouse, thanks for your help.... I ended up using the filename from properties as suggested by fitbrit, however will be using your idea on menu listings :)

all my blurays | season episodes pulled images, but what do I need to do for season | series artwork?

thanks again

red

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:27 am »

For Series, I have those. The scraper pulled them from me. If you haven't already done so, check the tags of the media files to make sure media subtype is set to TV Show. If not, set it. You can select all episodes and edit it at once.

For Season banners, I honestly have no idea how to show them. I've accepted the episode thumbnail. I don't like it, but that's how it is at the moment. But maybe there is a way, I just don't know it yet ;).

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:14 am »

There is a way to display season art, but it's not automated. You have to create a seasons folder and then label the artwork in a specific way. Put the artwork in that folder and it will display it in a seasons view. Some of the details may be wrong here because I wasn't paying attention, and won't until it's automated. Since I think this is coming, there's no reason to waste time on it for me now.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 01:05:41 pm »

My take on this,  is, pretty simple (I think...)

With regards to  "what should be done"  I don't know about the default view bit.. that's not really a concern of mine,  but maybe asking the user if they would like to select from a list of pre-defined views (shows an image of what the view looks like, and provides a text description)  would work.

In so far as "what should be done"  with regards to  Artwork support.

I guess there are two options.

1):  A simple   Folder.jpg  hierarchy.   Users selecting to use this option, specifically for video would be cautioned they need to adopt the following directory structure;
X:\Path To Library Videos\Series\Season X\   (where X = the season numeric).
Within Series you can have a Folder.jpg for the series itself
Within Season X you can have a folder.jpg that represents the Season Cover, in the appropriate Theater View  viewing mode.

Personally I would be OK with this option.   But I know some people may like to keep their cover art elsewhere.

Option 2: A Vast simplification of the idea
2):  User is cautioned they must define a Cover Art home directory.  i.e  X:\Library Cover Art
Inside this we first have a base tree for different media types

X:\Library Cover Art\Audio
X:\Library Cover Art\Video

For (Audio) it can then proceed like this.
X:\Library Cover Art\Audio\Album Name,  which can referenced as Folder.jpg
For multi-disc Albums, additional Disc Covers can be  referenced as  Disc 1, Disc 2, Disc 3, .jpg  files (does MC support other formats? I'd love that..)

I guess a good example of this would be my 18 Disc  CastleVania  Album.  It comes in a box (i.e  Main Album/Folder.jpg) and each Disc has a unique cover that spells out by letter, DRACULA THE IMMORTAL.   So it would be cool to be able to reflex that in my library without having to manually manage  Album Art  so carefully.

And basically it is kind of the same principle for the (Video) folder.
X:\Library Cover Art\Video\Series, with a main Folder.jpg for the Show art, and then  "Season 1"  "Season 2" etc JPG files  for each season.

Of course there are other things to consider, but overall,  I think both options could work well, if they are well-researched and implemented.   Option 2 in particular can give a lot of customization options to users,  if  it works off a logic that references file Tags as well,   perhaps even offering an "Expression" option for us to create our own Path/File  setup.

What I mean by working off tags is,  Media Center reads the file tag (on a rebuild cover-art/thumbnail or first importation  operation) and it says,  "Oh!  This file is from the Album  "Dookie" but the Disc # tag is empty.  I will look for a "folder.jpg" file in X:\Library Art\Audio\Dookie\"  or,  "Oh!  This file is from the Album  Suchandsuch and is from Disc #3,  I will look for cover-art in  "X:\Library Art\Audio\Suchandsuch" for a "Disc 3.jpg" file".

Maybe my approach(es) are wrong?   Maybe they are too difficult to implement?    Or maybe most of this can already be done and I just don't know how?
Anyway,  I thought I would  put forth something,  given the opportunity.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 04:04:18 am »

InflatableMouse, thanks for your help.... I ended up using the filename from properties as suggested by fitbrit, however will be using your idea on menu listings :)

all my blurays | season episodes pulled images, but what do I need to do for season | series artwork?

thanks again

red

For 'Season' artwork - you need to create a folder called 'Seasons' in the following location

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Seasons

then within the 'Seasons' folder name your cover art to correspond with the TV Show - as named in J RIver eg:

Two And A Half Men - Season 1, Two And A Half Men - Season 2, etc

Also remember that if you move to another version - you will have to replicate this action in the same location only this time in the Media Center 18 folder, which will be created on upgrade.

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »

For 'Season' artwork - you need to create a folder called 'Seasons' in the following location

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 17\Cover Art\Seasons

then within the 'Seasons' folder name your cover art to correspond with the TV Show - as named in J RIver eg:

Two And A Half Men - Season 1, Two And A Half Men - Season 2, etc

Also remember that if you move to another version - you will have to replicate this action in the same location only this time in the Media Center 18 folder, which will be created on upgrade.
Can I just say thank you for this information, it is just what I've been looking for.

I've just spent half the day trying to figure out why the auto import wasn't displaying season banners only to find out that this functionality is not present in MC. I then spent the second half of the day trying to figure out how to do it manually which, thankfully, your post has sorted for me.

I would just like to add my voice to support this sort of functionality. I am still evaluating MC having come from xbmc & MeediOS where season banners are automatically imported and displayed in the season view. One of the things that has struck my about MC is that technically it is absolutely brilliant but, unfortunately, it is let down a little on the aesthetic front where Theater View is concerned. Just little things like having a season view with season artwork and actually labelling the seasons correctly as in 'Season 1', 'Season 2', 'Specials' etc. This would just look so much more polished than just having the numbers '1', '2', '3' and having specials labelled as '0'. It's little things like these that make a product look finished as opposed to something that has been almost finished but not quite.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving MC and I am now just at the point where I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a license so MC's technical superiority definitely outweigh the aesthetic failings. I just think that perhaps some time should be devoted to improving this side of things so that the 'out of the box' experience will draw more people in.

Anyway, thanks again. At least I now have my season artwork displaying correctly.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »

Just little things like having a season view with season artwork and actually labelling the seasons correctly as in 'Season 1', 'Season 2', 'Specials' etc. This would just look so much more polished than just having the numbers '1', '2', '3'

you can manually edit the Season tag From "1" to "Season 1", then in the filename for the \coverart\seasons\ use "Two And A Half Men - Season Season 1"

I like it that way also...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 12:28:19 pm »

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving MC and I am now just at the point where I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a license so MC's technical superiority definitely outweigh the aesthetic failings. I just think that perhaps some time should be devoted to improving this side of things so that the 'out of the box' experience will draw more people in.
It's such small changes that's needed some times as well. Kind of frustrating.
I'm trying to figure the most important quick fixes. Please tell us what you miss here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74987.0

RussellS

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 12:29:29 pm »

you can manually edit the Season tag From "1" to "Season 1", then in the filename for the \coverart\seasons\ use "Two And A Half Men - Season Season 1"

I like it that way also...

Ken
Thanks for the info. That will make it look even better.

DanielBMe

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:37 am »

Can I just say thank you for this information, it is just what I've been looking for.

I've just spent half the day trying to figure out why the auto import wasn't displaying season banners only to find out that this functionality is not present in MC. I then spent the second half of the day trying to figure out how to do it manually which, thankfully, your post has sorted for me.

I would just like to add my voice to support this sort of functionality. I am still evaluating MC having come from xbmc & MeediOS where season banners are automatically imported and displayed in the season view. One of the things that has struck my about MC is that technically it is absolutely brilliant but, unfortunately, it is let down a little on the aesthetic front where Theater View is concerned. Just little things like having a season view with season artwork and actually labelling the seasons correctly as in 'Season 1', 'Season 2', 'Specials' etc. This would just look so much more polished than just having the numbers '1', '2', '3' and having specials labelled as '0'. It's little things like these that make a product look finished as opposed to something that has been almost finished but not quite.

Anyway, thanks again. At least I now have my season artwork displaying correctly.

Wow, this is pretty much exactly how I feel.  I tried the above mentioned programs as well.  I'm still trying to decide whether or not to buy JR.  It's just some few items that really drive me nuts.  All the items you mentioned plus boxed sets.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my tv shows to show up with mini movies that belong to the tv series such as with Battlestar Galactica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up