INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: volume confusion - a couple questions  (Read 2534 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
volume confusion - a couple questions
« on: December 07, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »

For years I have been confused about how volume works in MC. With the recent introduction of Loudness I thought I would try to get myself on solid ground. I read the wiki and did some playing but still do not understand a few things.

1) It seems my system is best suited to use internal volume. So I set system slider to 100% and selected internal volume. It works when I move the MC slider however my keyboard volume buttons still controls system volume. How can I make my keyboard control internal volume?

2) I think I understand what each of the volume types does. What I do not understand is why does the volume I hear change when I switch between internal, system, and application? For example, system slider is at 100% and internal slider is at 50%. The volume I hear should be at the product of the two. So why then does the volume get louder when I select system and quieter when I select internal when in both cases I do not change the slider position?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: volume confusion - a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:12:08 pm »

So why then does the volume get louder when I select system and quieter when I select internal when in both cases I do not change the slider position?

Internal volume, which is normally turning the volume down, disengages when you switch to system.

You can set the system slider to any level when using Internal.  Normally it's best to leave it at 100%, but there are probably exceptions.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rjm

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:33 pm »

Thanks Matt. Nice to understand what is going on.

With regard to my keyboard volume control question, I figured out part of the puzzle.

The volume keys on a keyboard control the system volume for the default audio device. I frequently switch back and forth between my desktop and TV and find changing the default audio device is a pain with too many clicks. I found this tiny app which permits me to assign a hotkey to switching the default audio device. Works great!

http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/documentation

Does anyone know if there is a way to reassign keyboard volume keys from system volume to MC internal volume for a specific zone? And a hotkey to switch zones?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 05:55:15 am »

The volume keys on a keyboard control the system volume for the default audio device. ...

Does anyone know if there is a way to reassign keyboard volume keys from system volume to MC internal volume for a specific zone? And a hotkey to switch zones?

This is not answering your question directly, but is related. I set the default audio device to e.g. my monitor speakers. The keyboard volume knob controls this volume (as you discovered). Convenient when someone suddenly start Youtube, or when I only want to watch some news tv in my browser.

The JRiver remote (maybe any remote?) can be configured to control mC Internal Volume and can leave the Windows default audio output alone. This works for me, at least.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:40 pm »

The JRiver remote (maybe any remote?) can be configured to control mC Internal Volume and can leave the Windows default audio output alone. This works for me, at least.
Interesting, thanks. I recently bought a Logitech K400 keyboard for my couch and am hoping I do not have to buy another device. I would think a remote just sends control codes like a keyboard and I'm hoping someone out there knows how to program a keyboard to control internal volume.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:49:44 pm »

Do the MCC commands affect the selected volume mode, or just System volume?  If they work on the selected mode, those can be used for your keyboard shortcuts (or the equivalent command line Volume command).

MCC commands can set the zone, but it is by Index.  This isn't a problem if you dont add/remove zones.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

Do the MCC commands affect the selected volume mode, or just System volume?  If they work on the selected mode, those can be used for your keyboard shortcuts (or the equivalent command line Volume command).

MCC commands can set the zone, but it is by Index.  This isn't a problem if you dont add/remove zones.

Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question. How do I make the volume keys on my keyboard issue the desired MCC command? The Logitech K400 control panel does not offer this customization. Does anyone know of a good utility for changing what characters a keyboard emits?

MrC

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 01:30:49 pm »

I don't know. Perhaps the utilities below can be used to output a key value, and then you can use MC to output the MCC command (via Resources.xml).

Try KeyTweak (which I use):

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

or for other options:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1487846

rjm

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 01:58:59 pm »

Thanks. KeyTweak is very nice. Unfortunately it and its cousins modify the registry which requires a reboot for changes to take effect. I am looking for something that temporarily remaps the volume keys for use only when I am running MC.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »

What about AutoHotKey?

rjm

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »

What about AutoHotKey?
Looks excellent. Will try it and report back later.

gappie

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 02:24:26 pm »

Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question. How do I make the volume keys on my keyboard issue the desired MCC command? The Logitech K400 control panel does not offer this customization. Does anyone know of a good utility for changing what characters a keyboard emits?
have you tried the remote control settings. when you enable remote in mc, it can capture any keystroke. and mostly block sending the keystroke further to the system. its how i always asigned the volume knobs on my keyboard to mc internal and it works.

:)
gab

rjm

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 04:28:26 pm »

have you tried the remote control settings. when you enable remote in mc, it can capture any keystroke. and mostly block sending the keystroke further to the system. its how i always asigned the volume knobs on my keyboard to mc internal and it works.
Brilliant idea except it appears that the standard keyboard keys for decrease volume/increase volume cannot be learned. I can learn other keyboard keys but I was hoping to used the standard volume keys. Am I doing something wrong?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 05:05:40 pm »

I have a Microsoft keyboard at work and a Logitech keyboard at home. I do not install the Microsoft of Logitech software. My default audio device in Windows 7 is the onboard audio and is only used for the loopback feature. In other words, all my audio always goes through JRiver and to an ASIO driver. After the change below, my keyboards always controls internal volume, even if JRiver does not have focus. If I switch zones, it controls the active zone. If the Microsoft or Logitech software is loaded, then the keyboards don't function properly.

18.0.68 (11/1/2012)

1. Changed: The keyboard / remote volume keys would not work even when Media Center had the focus on Windows 7 + Intellitype or Windows 8 (seems like a Microsoft bug with a surprising workaround, so feedback appreciated).

rjm

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 09:01:02 pm »

I have a Microsoft keyboard at work and a Logitech keyboard at home. I do not install the Microsoft of Logitech software. My default audio device in Windows 7 is the onboard audio and is only used for the loopback feature. In other words, all my audio always goes through JRiver and to an ASIO driver. After the change below, my keyboards always controls internal volume, even if JRiver does not have focus. If I switch zones, it controls the active zone. If the Microsoft or Logitech software is loaded, then the keyboards don't function properly.

Thanks for the tip. I use some important features in the Logitech software so am reluctant to remove it permanently but I did uninstall it to see what would happen. Now my keyboard volume keys do nothing, with and without MC running.

This seems to be much more trouble than it is worth. I am going to forget about using internal volume and stick with controlling the system volume with the little utility above I found for quickly changing the default audio device.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 09:28:18 pm »

Check the Media Keys setting in MC options.  Try different settings.

rjm

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 10:09:18 pm »

Check the Media Keys setting in MC options.  Try different settings.
I tried all 4 possible Media Key settings and observed no change in behavior. In all cases the keyboard volume keys control the system volume of the default audio device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up