INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD Upsampling from 16/44.1 - Possible?  (Read 8270 times)

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD Upsampling from 16/44.1 - Possible?
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:49:40 am »

Is there a plugin or other method to get JRMC18 to upsample redbook files to DSD?

Extra credit for selectable filters to use in conjunction with this upsampling process.

Thanks,

Joel

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DSD Upsampling from 16/44.1 - Possible?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:03:10 am »

MC will convert to DSD, just like any other format.  Right click on a file and choose Library Tools/Convert Format.

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:48:43 am »

Thanks for the response, Jim.

What I'm specifically interested in is real-time upsampling.

Is there any way to make that happen?

Joel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:35 am »

What I'm specifically interested in is real-time upsampling.

Is there any way to make that happen?

Not currently, but probably in a future version.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 07:10:25 am »

Out of curiosity (and lack of knowledge on DSD): what would the benefits be of DSD upsampling?

Best regards,
Mikkel

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:55 pm »

Mainly compatibility if you have a DSD native enabled dac. We usually don't spend much posts in this forum debating on which format sounds better so I'll do anyway (sure some will want to argue) : to my ears DSD sounds fuller and smoother BUT upsampling to DSD will not change anything on the source. The source is as good as it is in the first place so upsampling from 44.1 will not be a highlight experience. Maybe it renders better. Where it comes into play (and really! sounds better to me) is with high-def content and of course native DSD files from ripped SACD's or downloads.

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »

Surely any DSD-capable DAC is also capable of high samplerate PCM? Converting to DSD is just going to add a lot of ultrasonic noise.

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 12:41:46 pm »

My point in posing the question was not to have a discussion about which format sounds better. Although if others want to do that, it's fine with me.

Having said that, I have heard redbook (and other sample rates for that matter) upsampled to DSD and to this audiophile's ears, it sounds better . . . in my case, much better.

That's why I was hoping there was a way to upsample to DSD (or even double DSD) in MC.

MC is so good and sophisticated that I was hoping the feature either was included or would be included very soon.

Joel

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 12:58:35 pm »

Oh, I thought the reason was simply to keep the DAC in DSD mode all the time.

If converting 16/44.1 to DSD sounds better, it is an artificial and arbitrary "better".

Why ?   Because the upconversion adds data that was not recorded.   So, the upconverter is guessing what other information is missing.

The effect is similar to turning the treble knob all the way up - you get the impression you are hearing "more detail".

Either way, if you like what you hear, that's fine.  But upconverting is actually a distortion, because it adds information that was not in the recording.

It's sort of like a Ferrari body with a Ford Focus engine under the hood...

joelha

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:19 pm »

Every preference anyone of us has is "arbitrary" or, to put it another way, subjective.

My post never suggested that upsampling to DSD is objectively better.

Joel

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 01:44:48 pm »

Oh, I thought the reason was simply to keep the DAC in DSD mode all the time.

If converting 16/44.1 to DSD sounds better, it is an artificial and arbitrary "better".

Why ?   Because the upconversion adds data that was not recorded.   So, the upconverter is guessing what other information is missing.

The effect is similar to turning the treble knob all the way up - you get the impression you are hearing "more detail".

Either way, if you like what you hear, that's fine.  But upconverting is actually a distortion, because it adds information that was not in the recording.

It's sort of like a Ferrari body with a Ford Focus engine under the hood...

The argument I have heard from DAC engineers is that some DACs can do better with DSD and some better with PCM.  

In theory a DAC may be able to "do less harm" in DSD mode since it requires less filters to convert DSD into analog.

I'm not proselytizing in either direction, and have no instrument tests to go on.  But the idea that a DAC could perform better with DSD seems reasonable.  There are a lot of good DACs that actually convert all of the incoming PCM to DSD internally, so you're just moving the conversion to a computer (which has more power to perform higher quality conversion).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:02:41 am »

The argument I have heard from DAC engineers is that some DACs can do better with DSD and some better with PCM.  

In theory a DAC may be able to "do less harm" in DSD mode since it requires less filters to convert DSD into analog.

I'm not proselytizing in either direction, and have no instrument tests to go on.  But the idea that a DAC could perform better with DSD seems reasonable.  There are a lot of good DACs that actually convert all of the incoming PCM to DSD internally, so you're just moving the conversion to a computer (which has more power to perform higher quality conversion).

I see, thanks for the explanation.

P.S. I didn't want a this vs. that debate either. I have my clear opinions but I wasn't looking at an opportunity for debate :-). Perhaps those interested could take it to another subforum.

Mikkel

packux

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 02:39:47 am »

I would certainly fancy on-the-fly DSD conversion as well, if only to test how AAC/MP3/FLAC sound via my DAC.

Poiram

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:00:23 pm »

Would be nice to have a flac to DSD on the fly in JRiver DSP & output formats options
Pages: [1]   Go Up