INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerkiness playing 1080p mkv with RO HQ (solved)  (Read 3317 times)

verahert

• Recent member
Jerkiness playing 1080p mkv with RO HQ (solved)
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:39:22 pm »

Hello All! i'm having a strange problem playing differents 1080p mkv movies (23.976), throughout the movie i have five or six periods where the movie Jerkiness for 1 sec (the audio is ok and in sync).

My Specs are:

Intel 3770k
Asus Z77
8GB RAM
NVIDIA 670 2GB
128 SSD (OS)
Some 7200rpm HDD for Movies
Windows 7 64 SP1

The benchmark result in MC is 4545.

I did a fresh install of Windows 7 64 SP1 and i didn't install ANYTHING, the install is fresh fresh. I just did some basic tweaks for SSD (like disabled indexing services,etc), then i disabled firewall and windows update, installed the last stable drivers. After that i install JRiver Media Center 18 Ver. 18.0.158, i set the video mode to RO HQ, checked VideoClock, in Display Settings, config resolutions with correct hz, finally in Audio try both  Direct Sound  and  WASAPI - Event Style, and Auto Import is disabled, other configurations were in sotck/default.

The madVR stats (ctrl+J) are fine no frames drop/repeated/delayed, all is ok but even 10-15 or 20 minutes i have 1 sec of jerkyness :(, i try playing madVR in exclusive mode with windows composition off with no luck.

I search in the forum trying lots of solutions but i can't solve this issue, can someone give me a hand with this issue?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Jerkiness playing 1080p mkv with RO HQ
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »

It may be worth bring up Windows Resource Monitor to see if there is something (like CPU spikes or Disk activity) that is a background cause.  I say this as you seem to get solid playback (mostly) and your PC specs are good.
JRiver CEO Elect

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 06:44:57 pm »

I think the same but i do a FRESH install and disable all the bloatware of Windows 7 and then only install drivers and MC, but the problem is here I just finished watching The Bourne Legacy and i have 4 times this kind of jerkiness in the whole movie.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:56:44 pm »

A virus checker can sometimes cause this sort of problem.  Or any problem reading from the drive.   Is the file on a local drive?

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:16:02 pm »

The file is in a local SATA drive, i did a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 SP1, i didn't install any program, firewall and windows defender are disabled and all the bloatware of Windows.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 10:33:23 pm »

I'd still suggest bring up windows Resource Mgr and watch for any CPU or HDD spikes when it stutters.
JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:38:32 pm »

I'm surprised that you're getting stutters when madVR is not reporting any dropped/repeated/delayed frames.

Is deinterlacing active? The only thing I can think of would either be losing cadence lock (though that usually results in dropped frames) or it's the video itself.
I assume you are outputting 1080p24 and your display has proper support for it.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 12:27:13 am »

Unless the stutter happens in the same place every time (eg issue with the actual source), the only time I ever see this sort of behaviour is when something is maxing either the CPU or the throughput to where the file is stored. 
JRiver CEO Elect

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 12:34:54 am »

In the madVR stats (ctrl-J) there is no dropped/repeated/delayed frames.

The config menu of madVR is in stock/default because i only change preferences directly in MC not in madVR, and yes i'm running the movies at 1080p24 that is what my LG 42LD650 support.

I try searching something wrong/different in Resource Monitor in the moment when the jerkiness appear but the logs are fine! :(

The problem is random because i can't reproduce the jerkiness in the same minute/seconds of the movie, and i try 3-4 movies same problem.

EDIT: but one thing I am sure is that the problem appears every 20-25 minutes 3-4 times in a movie.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 01:07:34 am »

There are no dropped/repeated/delayed frames, but are there cadence breaks or presentation glitches? Is it doing any deinterlacing? (MC18's choice of CUVID for Hardware Acceleration will often activate deinterlacing when it should not be)
I've never experienced problems with madVR playback without it reporting anything going wrong in the statistics, so this is very strange. If it was pausing for more than just a second, and reporting dropped frames, I would expect it to be this problem that I have experienced. (it hasn't been an issue for me lately, but it was only affecting certain discs)

What scaling settings are you using? While your hardware can probably handle it, don't go above Jinc 3 AR.
Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in MC18/LAV Video?
Are your video drivers up to date via the Geforce site (not Windows Update) and not betas? Beta drivers from Nvidia often cause problems with presentation glitches - or at least it used to happen often enough that I have stopped even trying them now.

Your hardware should be more than powerful enough to not require Fullscreen Exclusive or Windowed Overlay mode, have you tried disabling them? I would also re-enable desktop composition - you shouldn't need to turn that off.
I'm also wondering what "tweaks" you did for the SSD. (though I wouldn't expect that to make a difference with madVR) Windows 7 and up are "SSD aware" and should not need any tweaking.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:12:46 am »

To narrow it down, does it also happen when running RO Std (eg no madVR)?
JRiver CEO Elect

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:02:31 am »

Try playing the files from the SSD instead and see what happens?

Also try disabling any power saving settings, both in hardware and software.   No  speedstep/throttling, etc.      That it is happening so periodically but also within the timeframe of standard  "idle"  time limits for some power savings settings may indicate an issue in that area.

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:25:16 am »

What scaling settings are you using? While your hardware can probably handle it, don't go above Jinc 3 AR.
Do you have hardware acceleration enabled in MC18/LAV Video?
Are your video drivers up to date via the Geforce site (not Windows Update) and not betas? Beta drivers from Nvidia often cause problems with presentation glitches - or at least it used to happen often enough that I have stopped even trying them now.

Your hardware should be more than powerful enough to not require Fullscreen Exclusive or Windowed Overlay mode, have you tried disabling them? I would also re-enable desktop composition - you shouldn't need to turn that off.
I'm also wondering what "tweaks" you did for the SSD. (though I wouldn't expect that to make a difference with madVR) Windows 7 and up are "SSD aware" and should not need any tweaking.

I'm using all the DEFAULT settings in madVR that came with JRiver (lanczos), i try with hardware accell disabled and enabled and is the same. My drivers are updated and all are STABLE from the download support web of NVIDIA and ASUS.

I try with FSE and Windowes Overlay mode OFF and ON and Desktop Composition ON and OFF (all the possible convinations) and the same problem. Now the settings are:

FSE Mode UNCHECKED
Windowed Overlay Mode UNCHECKED
Disable Desktop Composition UNCHECKED

The SSD tweaks are:

1.  ENSURE YOUR COMPUTER IS OPERATING IN AHCI MODE
2.  ENSURE CHIPSET DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE
3.  DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
4.  DISABLE DRIVE INDEXING
5.  DISABLE DRIVE DEFRAGMENTATION SCHEDULE
6.  TURN OFF PAGEFILE
7.  TURN OFF HIBERNATION
9.  DISABLE PREFETCH AND SUPERFETCH

To narrow it down, does it also happen when running RO Std (eg no madVR)?

Recently i start watching "Lawless" with Red October Standard (EVR) and in this case when the Jerkiness appear remains 2-3 seconds unlike RO HQ that is 1 second of jerkiness.

Try playing the files from the SSD instead and see what happens?

Also try disabling any power saving settings, both in hardware and software.   No  speedstep/throttling, etc.      That it is happening so periodically but also within the timeframe of standard  "idle"  time limits for some power savings settings may indicate an issue in that area.

I already try playing the file directly from the SSD (OS partition) same problem, and Power Options are set to High Performance with the option to never turn off hard drivers.

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 12:20:09 pm »

Recently i start watching "Lawless" with Red October Standard (EVR) and in this case when the Jerkiness appear remains 2-3 seconds unlike RO HQ that is 1 second of jerkiness.
What is the source of this? DVD, Blu-ray, Download? If it is a downloaded video, I would suspect that the file is at fault, rather than the player - especially if madVR is not reporting any dropped/delayed/repeated frames, or any cadence breaks/presentation glitches, because I can't see any other reason for this to happen.

3.  DISABLE SYSTEM RESTORE
4.  DISABLE DRIVE INDEXING
These are not necessary. Searching the index is still faster than searching an SSD at 550MB/s.
5.  DISABLE DRIVE DEFRAGMENTATION SCHEDULE
Windows 7 will not defragment an SSD. Windows 8 will TRIM an SSD (via the defragmenter) if it  is necessary.

6.  TURN OFF PAGEFILE
Seems like a good way to have programs crash on you. No matter how much RAM you have, I would never disable the page file, and keeping it on an SSD means it doesn't kill performance when it is accessed.

9.  DISABLE PREFETCH AND SUPERFETCH
RAM is still faster than an SSD (by a significant amount) so I would not disable superfetch. It might make sense to disable prefetching, but even Windows 8 does not disable it with SSDs by default (and it was designed with SSDs in mind) so I would question whether that is a good thing.

None of this should impact video playback though.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 02:23:07 pm »

Most of those SSD tweaks are to prevent needless  R/W cycles on the drive.   So when you look at it from that perspective, they are justifiable.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 02:54:03 pm »

Windows 7/8 disable all the services which are useless on an SSD by default, this includes Defrag and Superfetch. Prefetch remains active, but its not a writing operation.
Disabling the pagefile is indeed not recommended, as there are several applications that will not be happy about that, no matter how much RAM you have.

I would not worry about the lifetime of an SSD, in usual workloads (like running an OS and Media Center), it'll take years and years for it to cause any issues.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2013, 03:27:01 pm »

Yes these tweaks are for SSD Life and from my point of view innecesary.

All the test where made with a 1920x1080@24hz in Display Settings Automatic with VideoClock checked in MC.

Now i made a custom resolution in Nvidia Control Panel and disabled VideoClock only for TESTING:

A) Custom Nvidia Resolution 1920x1080@23.975 I get in madVR 23.97457
B) Custom Nvidia Resolution 1920x1080@23.976 I get in madVR 23.97774

Question is what will be better A or B? and another issue is when selecting custom res the image turns more dark than in standard resolutions.

verahert

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:47 pm »

SOLVED!!!

The problem was related with the LG TV, there was enabled "Real Cinema" that causes this periodically jerkiness, i have to disabled it and no more problems. But the bad thing is that with this option disabled appear the problem: 3:2 frame rate Judder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up