INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix issues  (Read 1759 times)

vroom

• Recent member
Netflix issues
« on: April 10, 2013, 11:09:35 am »

Good day all.

1. Any way to get Netflix to show the episode and season when browsing Theater View?

2. Not getting any surround sound (only in Netflix app). Surround works fine elsewhere.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netflix issues
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:34 am »

1. Nope

2. MC doesn't handle sound from Netflix, it's all processed through Silverlight...

Unfortunately it seems that Netflix is a dying a slow death for reasons JR have nothing to do with. Netflix have stopped support for a whole bunch of their API functions recently and are only supporting "Approved" providers these days.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 02:30:11 pm »

I have issues with Netflix as well in JRiver. Not JRiver fault (in my opinion).  I therefore went to Netflix, opened a support chat window and ask the guy to float my issue up the chain.  He said sure.  Here is the transcript of that chat...  Please do the same.

Netflix -
Hey Hey! I'm Kia! Top o' the day to you! How can I help you, my friend?

You -
I'm not sure you can. As this has to do with the company direction, but I would like this floated up the chain if possible.

Netflix -
So, what's going on today? How we can help?

You -

I want to use JRiver to watch Netflix but due to how my HTPC is setup I get no sound. From talking to their support people it appears that Netflix is changing the API's. This means that under my current setup I can not get sound to process in JRiver. If I use a normal webpage I can, but that defeats the purpose of having a Media Center running.

You -
So, I would like to request that Netflix open up the API's and support Media Center applications (not just Microsoft). Also, allow audio to be processed in something other than SilverLight so I would be able to hear it.

Netflix -
I can totally get this sent up the ladder to our research team. This is some great feedback to have as this tells us exactly how our customers are feeling about the current Netflix service and it shows us the area of improvement that we can get to work on!

Netflix -
One of the coolest parts of my job is seeing feedback become something that is applied to how we work. It gives me a lot of faith in the company i work for and if you don't mind, I would like to also notate your account with this feedback, so that our research team can refer back to it, if need be!

You -
It has become a show stopper. I'm considering canceling as I never watch it any more. Hulu/Hulu+ work just fine in JRiver Media Center with my setup.

You -
Yes please do.

You -
I do have a complicated audio setup. So let's put this in the notes.

Netflix
- Oh, you bet!

You -
HTPC - Intel i5 Ivy Bridge with AMD HD7870 GPU.

You -
Lynx AES16e with Lynx Aurora 16-VT DAC

You -
current version of JRiver 18.0.166

You -

Emotiva MPS-2 amp to Klipsch speakers.

Netflix -
Alrighty.

You -
So the PC is connected to the internet. I have HD HomeRun DUAL's for over the air broadcasts.

You -
The PC talks so the Lynx AES16E via ASIO drivers.

You -
There is no default Audio device on my PC.

Netflix -
Okay.

You -
JRiver processes the Audio and send the info via ASIO to the Lynx AES16e, that sends it to the Aurora 16-VT (for the Digital to Analog conversion). Then the Aurara sends the analog to the amp and then naturally to the speakers.

You -
Make sense?

You -
Lynx and ASIO don't have a Windows interface.

Netflix -
Actually, it does! I totally thought that it would be much harder to understand but it's totally a breeze now that it has been broken down to me!

You -
So in order to get sound from web pages, I set JRiver to grab the audio stream from the default audio interface (which has nothing connected to it) and then process the stream and send it via AISO through the chain.

You -
The Aurora is a 16 channel 24/192 pro audio recording DA converter. So I get great sound from JRiver. But I can't have JRiver show the video portion of the Netflix stream and play the audio. To do that I have to use a web browser.

You -
It's ok for me, but too complicated for the wife and kids.

You -
So it doesn't get used that much. So starting to wonder if it's worth the $8 a month.

Netflix -
Oh, I totally understand! I thought this would be more complicated and when it's broken down into sections and laymen's terms, it makes sense. So, I'm totally going to forward up this info, so that we can get to work on this end and if you'd like, you can totally publish this info on our Facebook, Twitter or Google apps, so that you can physically see that your voice is being heard as well!

You -
cool.

You -
Thank you for sending this up the chain.

Netflix -
You bet! I want my customers to know every option available to them to make sure that they are being heard and we are working on solutions for them to have a better Netflix experience!

Netflix -
Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

You -
Nope that will do it. Thank you.

Netflix -
It was totally my pleasure. Thank you for chatting with us. Have a great day! And one more thing, if you wouldn’t mind, please stay online for a one question survey.
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 02:42:16 pm »

I wish I didn't think this was an amusing conversation.  It's like you were talking to Eliza.  She's happy.

Thanks for trying.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:51:31 pm »

That can't actually be a real person?

I'm going to make it my goal to help one customer on this forum with that positive of an attitude someday!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 04:20:07 pm »

Yea, I know what you mean.  However, I do it sometimes at work.  I'm a Manager of Network Engineering and some of the standard recurring calls I'm on are so boring and monotonous that I put on the fake happy tone just to get keep from beating my head against my desk.

One can hope....
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 04:52:33 pm »

Would it be possible for JRiver to be configured to play the Video from the internal Netflix option, but the audio from loopback?  I figure the audio from the internal Netflix player is being routing to the default audio card, but since I don't have anything hooked up to that port I get no sound.  That would at least work around my current Netflix issue.

Neco

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 07:10:50 pm »

That was.....painful to read.

It was like watching a cult member commit suicide, while you stood there screaming at the top of your lungs but they couldn't hear you..

Friends don't let friends drink the Kool-Aid
Pages: [1]   Go Up