INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations on "best" PC to act as "master" server  (Read 2496 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Finally got my HTPC rolling and now I need some guidance on the best layout for client server activities with our home network.

Currently - I have my "office" PC install of MC running Media Server and also acting as my edit/tag station. This has been working fine as long as audio was the only concern. We have 3 other PCs that act as clients and have had no problems (Except for one very annoying one - which I will speak to in just a bit).

However now - with the HTPC coming on line - we are moving into Movies/Videos on the projector in our new media room , possible Image display (my wife is a photographer and needs to show client slideshows) and of course - our very extensive music library. I also am now dealing with different playback requirements for different media on the HTPC where I want movies (MKV) to go out thru HDMI to the Elite receiver and music (FLAC) to be pipelined to the optical connection so I can do two channel listening via my DAC.

So - I am now thinking that the HTPC should be considered the "master" and have the rest of the PC's act as "clients" to it - rather than having my work machine be the hub.

Now questions:

1. Can a media server client (HTPC) even be configured with different zones for playback?
2. If I make the new HTPC the master "server" - can I still edit/change/update the master library from a client (OFFICE-PC)
3. Annoying Issue: What can I do to improve the detection of the Media Server from any client? I am pulling my hair out with endless errors when trying to connect to the "server" from any client in the house - we always get a dialog saying the "library) (Meaning the one for the master) cannot be found. Only after two or three attempts can we actually connect and the play media

Appreciate any tips from the field for anyone who has a HTPC and is running MC with Media Server...

Cheers,

VP

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Looking for recommendations on "best" PC to act as "master" server
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:09:47 am »

I have a similar setup with my "Main" PC the one I do all the importing, tagging etc on and it runs the MC Media Server.  On this PC all the media is shared on the network using UNC shares so all PC's can see the files (this prevents having to map drives on all client PC's).  It is important that your library on this PC uses the UNC file path over the drive mapped version.  The HTPC is then a Library Server Client and loads the library from the Main PC.  This HTPC will then play the content from the UNC file path natively instead of it being transcoded by the Library Server.

Hope that makes sense.
JRiver CEO Elect

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:23:29 am »

I have a similar setup with my "Main" PC the one I do all the importing, tagging etc on and it runs the MC Media Server.  On this PC all the media is shared on the network using UNC shares so all PC's can see the files (this prevents having to map drives on all client PC's).  It is important that your library on this PC uses the UNC file path over the drive mapped version.  The HTPC is then a Library Server Client and loads the library from the Main PC.  This HTPC will then play the content from the UNC file path natively instead of it being transcoded by the Library Server.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense. My layout is a bit different...

1. All our media is housed on our "server" server -  a dedicated storage box down in the machine room.
2. My "Main" PC (Office workstation) acts as the edit station AND runs JRiver Media Server AND houses the one and only set of JR "Library" files
3. There are no shared drives on this workstation at all. All "locations" to media are set within MC in the Tools-Options->Library and Folders->Configure Auto-Import-Folders area. Currently - I have a single location there for Audio (\\SERVER\Music) and a new "test" location (\\SERVER\Video\Test) as we ramp up to use MKV etc in our new media room.
4. I do not use "Auto" import - rather I manually refresh the master library after each new set of "adds"

Having said the above - I am very content to let this new HTPC become another "client" of my main office PC.

But I have the following concerns with the new HTPC as a "client".

1. Zones: Can an MC Client have dedicated Zones? The HTPC needs a zone for movies (MKV) and another for FLAC audio. No one seems to be able to address this issue for me? Is it possible to set this up?
2. I keep having the issue I mentioned where an MC client can never seem to "find" the MC "Media Server" PC on the network at start-up. I need the HTPC to always be at the ready - booting directly into Theater View with media is ready to play. I cannot have MC fumble in finding the server when a family member wants to watch a movie (especially when I am not there). I do not want anyone to ever see a Windows desktop or deal with an error message on screen in our new media room. If that occurs - we have blown the whole movie vibe and instead of family movie night - it's turns into Daddy's Networking Adventures Night :)

Make sense?

Cheers,

VP

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:20:16 am »

Hi

I think I do exactly what you are planning to do
Now questions:

1. Can a media server client (HTPC) even be configured with different zones for playback?
If I understand the question right, sure. Thats the reason for zones, non? ... Of course you don't need to set up zones really if all you want to do is listen/watch from your client so maybe I misunderstood. I use the "client" to control my main server and zones are easy to set up (I love messing with my kids and changing the music on 'em  8)) Its rare that I do server to client except for a party or two.

2. If I make the new HTPC the master "server" - can I still edit/change/update the master library from a client (OFFICE-PC)
YES, I have a huge library, if I couldn't do that I'd go nuts. You just have to insure you have your media is shared to the network (and verify your router/firewall etc). Then you just click the box in Advanced Options under Media Network to "Autosync with server". You can manually do this also under Library=>"Sync changes with library server"

3. Annoying Issue: What can I do to improve the detection of the Media Server from any client? I am pulling my hair out with endless errors when trying to connect to the "server" from any client in the house - we always get a dialog saying the "library) (Meaning the one for the master) cannot be found. Only after two or three attempts can we actually connect and the play media
You can indeed, but I admit took me awhile to figure it out. The obivous way is to assign fixed ips to all the computers on the network.  I did that, and still would have issues because as I found out digging around, my kids blackbury or his girlfriends laptop on wifi would "steal" the fixed IP of my main PC if it wasn't turned on first. So, I did it through the router(or internet box). Assign a fixed ip to all devices on the network from the router interface, and for each pc, set windows to get an IP automatically. The router won't give the ip address out to another device because its mapped to a MAC address. And works like a charm. Especially good for gizmo too. I hated having to retype the ip of the server each time on my iphone!

Hope this helps

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 10:13:42 am »

Seems you posted right when I was trying to respond to you Vocalpoint
1. Zones: Can an MC Client have dedicated Zones? The HTPC needs a zone for movies (MKV) and another for FLAC audio. No one seems to be able to address this issue for me? Is it possible to set this up? [Make sense?...]
hem, not sure if it does makes sense to me. Why do you need (or even want) to have separate zones for audio and video. Im assuming you would be using the Theater View interface in your media room? There are so many config options now that you just create a view that excludes certain media ... although I'm not sure if thats even necessary. Unless if you just mean zone one watches a movie zone 2 watches a film, just choose what you want where ? Are you trying to restrict a zone to one media source?I'm sure I must be missing something, sorry  :-[

If you just want to have your media room boot directly to your movies this can be done without any zones (and no windows screen to blow movie night atmosphere. Create a view in Theater mode with Movies and Music Only, configure the detail you want by filtering. And there you go ... euh, except for the fact that every patch I have to remove the Van Gogh pictures and replace them (nothing against 'ol one-ear Vincent, but since version 15 its getting a bit old...
2. I keep having the issue I mentioned where an MC client can never seem to "find" the MC "Media Server" PC on the network at start-up. I need the HTPC to always be at the ready - booting directly into Theater View with media is ready to play. I cannot have MC fumble in finding the server when a family member wants to watch a movie (especially when I am not there). I do not want anyone to ever see a Windows desktop or deal with an error message on screen in our new media room. If that occurs - we have blown the whole movie vibe and instead of family movie night - it's turns into Daddy's Networking Adventures Night :)
I think the solution in my first response should do the trick. :) You can also configure in options to have your HTPC boot jriver at start-up.

Not sure if I understand this
My "Main" PC (Office workstation) acts as the edit station AND runs JRiver Media Server AND houses the one and only set of JR "Library" files
the "only set of library files"? Well if it works ok, but regardless what difference does it make if your clients each have a library, as long as the default library is network linked to the server. On my "edit/office PC" I have a library (upstairs), albeit empty, the server library is simply read by the client as "Downstairs" and logs on as the default library.

Just a side note you mentioned you don't use auto-import, and I don't usually either. But I do run it for maintenance or if I'm moving media files around to different folders as it repairs and/or removes broken links without erasing library tags. Also instead of having (\\SERVER\Video\Test) and (\\SERVER\Music) you might want to try (\\SERVER\Media) with (\\SERVER\Media\Music) and (\\SERVER\Media\Video) as distinct subdirectories on the same machine of course.

have fun with your new media room in anycase

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 10:35:13 am »

I think I do exactly what you are planning to doIf I understand the question right, sure. That's the reason for zones, non? ... Of course you don't need to set up zones really if all you want to do is listen/watch from your client so maybe I misunderstood. I use the "client" to control my main server and zones are easy to set up (I love messing with my kids and changing the music on 'em  8)) Its rare that I do server to client except for a party or two.

For this new PC - I need MC to use a specific interface (HDMI/Multichannel/Etc etc) when we play a feature film file (All MKV). But - when I want to switch to music listening - I want MC to use a completely different interface (Optical out) to send 2 channel to my DAC and ultimately my 2 channel intergrated amp.

Again - I have not tried anything yet - just kicking the tires right now :)

YES, I have a huge library, if I couldn't do that I'd go nuts. You just have to insure you have your media is shared to the network (and verify your router/firewall etc). Then you just click the box in Advanced Options under Media Network to "Autosync with server". You can manually do this also under Library=>"Sync changes with library server"  

Good to know!

Assign a fixed ip to all devices on the network from the router interface, and for each pc, set windows to get an IP automatically. The router won't give the ip address out to another device because its mapped to a MAC address. And works like a charm. Especially good for gizmo too. I hated having to retype the ip of the server each time on my iphone!

Every device we own has a DHCP reserved IP (on the router itself) and still it does not work. Most times - I will need to prod a client two and three times to connect to the "server" after getting that "server cannot be found etc etc" dialog box.

I wish I could at least get that one nailed down....:(

Cheers!

VP

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:30:37 am »

Hi There: Hoping I can jump in on this topic, as I'm a bit behind you (but rapidly reading).

I'm setting up a music-only configuration, but I need help. I cannot figure out the best configuration for a home with 3 Win7 PCs (2 wired desktops, 1 wireless laptop), all connecting to a NAS. I don't need multiple libraries - I'm much more interested in centralizing my music, and having playlists/music updates/etc. be consistent on all 3 PCs.

- I gather DLNA is the best setup, but WHERE SHOULD THE LIBRARY LIVE? Can I store it on the NAS, and back it up (using auto-backup) elsewhere?

- I've read about how to setup library sync, but don't want to set it up until I know where to put my single, main library. I can't find where MC18 normally stores the library, and is it a single file? multiples? I'd like to be smart about how where it lives (disk space awareness, potential for migrating in the future...).

- My preference would be not to have a "primary" computer, but from the thread so far, I think I understand the 2-way nature of auto-sync. However, I guess I have to pick one computer to act as the server, I guess the one that will be on (almost) all the time. Is that right? (not sure I understand the client/server relationship with MC...)

Thanks!

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 10:46:21 am »

- My preference would be not to have a "primary" computer, but from the thread so far, I think I understand the 2-way nature of auto-sync. However, I guess I have to pick one computer to act as the server, I guess the one that will be on (almost) all the time. Is that right? (not sure I understand the client/server relationship with MC...)

The best all round config is client/server - and you will need to "promote" one of the boxes to be the "server". This gives you all goodness that MC brings in the way of library management etc etc.

You cannot just stash the library "standalone" and then have your clients pick away at it :). The "library" should be "served" by one specific box (running Library Server) and then shared out to your other "clients"

And DNLA is really only used for "devices" that use that protocol - like a SqueezeBox, WDTV Live etc. If you have MC on all three computers - just use MC as a client and you do not need to worry about DNLA.

Cheers,

VP

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 05:52:29 pm »

Excellent, thanks VP!

I will do that.

I need to understand more about the Library concept (is it just an XML file, like iTunes? A group of files?).

And as for DNLA, is that how I could play my music through an XBOX 360, for instance? It's connected to one home theater setup, and would be more convenient than running another connection from a PC to the receiver.

csimon

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:50:21 am »

I need to understand more about the Library concept (is it just an XML file, like iTunes? A group of files?).

The library is a database. I don't know the format, possibly mySQL? It basically catalogues your physical media files, which are held separately. By default it is stored in one of the JRiver installation directories. It is recommended that you keep the library on the PC that is running MC, for efficiency.  MC has a library backup function that will zip the entire database up into one file and you can then move the backup elsewhere for safety. But your physical media files can be anywhere you want them to be and you just configure their location in MC.  Then back them up with with whatever backup solution you want.

And as for DNLA, is that how I could play my music through an XBOX 360, for instance? It's connected to one home theater setup, and would be more convenient than running another connection from a PC to the receiver.

Yes, that would work (BTW it's Digital Living Network Alliance, not Digital Network Living Alliance!).

PS. I too am having trouble with the MC Client/Server concept, it's not really true client/server!  These are the questions I had:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75162.0
and
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80806.0

Arindelle

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 05:18:44 am »

Quote from: This2ShallPass
Yes, although there have been some additional options added since version 15 you can see how to config an xbox 360 here http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Xbox

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 05:25:55 am »

Quote from: Vocalpoint
1. Zones: Can an MC Client have dedicated Zones? The HTPC needs a zone for movies (MKV) and another for FLAC audio. No one seems to be able to address this issue for me? Is it possible to set this up?
Hi VP -- sorry for abandoning this thread, but I just realized I forgot about it helping a friend setting up his system ..... An MC client (or server) most definitely can have different zones for configuring different outputs/devices and with zone switch feature JRiver will switch zones automatically for you, filtering out different file types, clearing play lists etc.

go Player =>Zones=>Add zone --- create two zones

click on Audio "zone" on client tree and set your Audio options (Output Device,Mode settings, DSP studio if needed etc. no need to set new video settings normally - they will be filtered out)  - then click on "Video" zone again change audio config etc if needed

then player =>Zones=>ZoneSwitch  -- set up rules like in screenshots below that I just tried quickly on my client to see if it works  ;) Your rules will be more elaborate probably

good luck,
Steve

have you read this btw? = > nice explanation of network audio and UPN/DLNA from Computer Audiophile; lots applies to video http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/524-complete-guide-hifi-upnp-dlna-network-audio/ running 6 zones different configs if you read down in the article.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 05:32:24 am »

The library is a database. I don't know the format, possibly mySQL?
No.  We wrote it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up