INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Error Loading Library - Any ideas on what is going on?  (Read 12994 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Error Loading Library - Any ideas on what is going on?
« on: May 19, 2013, 11:59:51 am »

Morning,

Struggling with this ongoing error when connecting an MC client to my MC "Media Server":

I have tried everything from entering an access key to entering the direct URL to the actual device...and still - I get this error practically every time I fire up a client.

I do want to mention that it will "eventually" get thru and connect..but that's usually after thinking about it for a while.

Also of note - we get this error on all clients (4) with painful regularity :(

With our HTPC - I am adamant about ensuring no Windows errors or app errors are displayed when booting up the PC - but if I cannot even connect to the Media Server library - we are gonna have massive troubles.

The HTPC is WIndows 7 Pro x64 SP1 as is my workstation - where Media Server and master library reside. The network is ALL hardwired and there are no delays or connections problems from HTPC to office PC. Could this be a firewall issue of some sort? Router issue? IE Proxy server problem (we do not use IE as a default browser)...anything else I needs to check?

Grasping at straws here. There is nothing untoward in the Media Server status page.

Cheers,

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Error Loading Library - Any ideas on what is going on?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 12:19:23 pm »

Try using the IP address instead of the hostname.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:22:42 pm »

Try using the IP address instead of the hostname.

I am.

192.168.0.191:52199 is what I have entered...and it still dies at first launch....(sigh)

Or what "host name" are your referring to?

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:59:24 pm »

That's weird.

Can you open a command prompt and do a ping -t 192.168.0.191. Let it run for a few dozen seconds.

Replies should be <1ms. If you see failures or very high response times something is wrong.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

Make sure you dont have two media servers running.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:45:04 pm »

Make sure you dont have two media servers running.

Nope. Only a single media server instance running.

This is massively frustrating. I can now replicate the error without fail on my HTPC. First launch - I get the "Connecting to server...please wait" box for about 6-8 seconds. Then I get the Error Loading Library. Then when I click Retry...MC thinks for another few seconds bit and then finally connects....

Can you open a command prompt and do a ping -t 192.168.0.191. Let it run for a few dozen seconds. Replies should be <1ms. If you see failures or very high response times something is wrong.

Response time is instant when pinging the "server" from the client....

Gotta be something I am missing here...

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 03:29:57 pm »

Oke if you know how to replicate it ... replicate it but instead of connecting with the client to the server, open up a command prompt on your client and do a telnet 192.168.0.191 52199.

Does that connect? Ie, black screen? You can exit it with a ctrl-c or hitting enter a few times. After that, connect with MC to the server and see what happens.

ps. if telnet client is not isntalled you can add it from control panel Program and Features/Turn Windows features on/off.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 03:49:27 pm »

Oke if you know how to replicate it ... replicate it but instead of connecting with the client to the server, open up a command prompt on your client and do a telnet 192.168.0.191 52199. Does that connect? Ie, black screen?

Yep - no problems running Telnet from client to server. It connects instantly.

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:54:05 am »

And your client is on the same network in the same subnet (ie, has 192.168.0.190 for instance)?

Are both pc's wired?

Is the client or server running some kind of security software that could be interfering? Maybe try disabling the firewalls alltogether, disable any antivirus software etc.

Sorry if Im asking all the obvious questions ...

Vocalpoint

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:01:23 am »

And your client is on the same network in the same subnet (ie, has 192.168.0.190 for instance)?

Are both pc's wired?

Is the client or server running some kind of security software that could be interfering? Maybe try disabling the firewalls alltogether, disable any antivirus software etc.

Sorry if Im asking all the obvious questions ...

Yes - all PC's are in the 192.168.0.x subnet....

Every one of them is hard wired

Client has MS Security Essentials...while the "server" runs ESET NOD 32 V4.

I am thinking this has to be some kinda firewall issue...but then again - if a firewall was stopping the first attempt...why not stop them all? Doesn't make sense that it errors once and then all is well when I press Retry....

I need to figure this out or this HTPC (and MC) may not have a future in the media room. Can't have software in a non workable state every single time we want to watch a movie.

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 07:12:38 am »

I agree but maybe it's buggy :).

I would uninstall NOD32 and disable the windows firewall completely. Do the same on the client so you can test without any of that interfering.

Once you reach a reliable situation you can start bringing them into play, one at a time so you know where to look and what to troubleshoot when the issue comes back.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

I agree but maybe it's buggy :).

I would uninstall NOD32 and disable the windows firewall completely. Do the same on the client so you can test without any of that interfering.

Once you reach a reliable situation you can start bringing them into play, one at a time so you know where to look and what to troubleshoot when the issue comes back.

For kicks out of the Troubleshooting area of the WIKI found here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server

- I tried this from the client

http://192.168.0.191/GetLibrary

Which is supposed to trigger a file download...instead - I get

"Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage"....(sigh)

Definitely something strange going on here.

Will disable the Windows firewall first...then move on to AV options...

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:48:47 am »

Try in this form:

http://[IP Address of the Server]:52199/LibraryServer/

Without a port number, the browser will assume you want port 80.

The IP address could also be wrong.

You could test it on the Server by trying:

http://localhost:52199/GetLibrary

You might learn something useful.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 10:51:10 am »

<snip>Every one of them is hard wired

Client has MS Security Essentials...while the "server" runs ESET NOD 32 V4.<snip>
This is almost the same as I have here, I'm using NOD32 AV (not smart security) v6.0.308 and it all works peachy. Aside from mobile devices, the HTPC is the only actual PC connecting to the server. My first thought was that something in your startup routine was getting in the way of NIC initialising. I'm not convinced about the telnet step... Assuming you have MC set to run on startup, the telnet session would need to be configured the same way, otherwise, the six to eight second window would surely pass while you open the session and type the commands?

-marko

Vocalpoint

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 10:54:47 am »

Without a port number, the browser will assume you want port 80.

Jim - sorry - I was including Port 80 in that string.

The IP address could also be wrong. You could test it on the Server by trying:

http://localhost:52199/GetLibrary

You might learn something useful.

Put this into Firefox on the "server" (this machine) and got nothing but a blank page? Obviously not normal...or is it?

The IP address (192.168.0.191) is the IP of the "server" (This box) and is verified to be correct.

I also turned off WIndows FW and MS Security Essentials on the client = no connect
Then I turned off Windows FW and ESET on "server" (this machine) and tried again = no connect

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:30 am »

I was including Port 80 in that string.
Are you using port 80?  The default is 52199.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 11:02:34 am »

This is almost the same as I have here, I'm using NOD32 AV (not smart security) v6.0.308 and it all works peachy. Aside from mobile devices, the HTPC is the only actual PC connecting to the server. My first thought was that something in your startup routine was getting in the way of NIC initialising. I'm not convinced about the telnet step... Assuming you have MC set to run on startup, the telnet session would need to be configured the same way, otherwise, the six to eight second window would surely pass while you open the session and type the commands?

Marko...

I first thought it might be a delayed network startup - for certain when the machine boots and comes on line - that I could understand.

But as I continue to test this condition - via Remote Desktop - which is connected right now (and has been up for 10 or 20 minutes) I can reproduce this error indefinitely. Double click the MC icon - wait for 7-10 seconds while the Please Wait...Connecting To Server...message appears....and then Error Loading Library appears without fail.

But as soon as I hit Retry - I connect almost instantly.

On another note - I am still running ESET v4.2.71.2 on all our workstations. Maybe it's time to move to v6? I avoided v5 like the plague due to issues....

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 11:06:15 am »

Are you using port 80?  The default is 52199.

Sorry again :)

When I entered this:

http://192.168.0.191:52199/LibraryServer/

On the server (This machine) - I instantly get a Library Server page listing the five MC Server types etc...that looks good

And when I enter that on the client using IE - I get the same page - almost instantly.

Update: I removed the library from the client and re-added it using an Access Key and now I get a Looking up Access Key dialog - and then the Error Connecting to Library dialog....

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 11:07:59 am »

That says that the server is running and working.  Try using some of the features from that page.  You may get a firewall message from Windows.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 11:12:25 am »

Possibly. I do have the entire JRiver folder in AppData\Roaming in the NOD32 'Exclude' list. MSE on the client has never needed any intervention from me, installed using defaults a few years ago, updates automatically. Strange problem, can't think what might be going on there. Must be frustrating.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:21 am »

I removed the library from the client and re-added it using an Access Key and now I get a Looking up Access Key dialog - and then the Error Connecting to Library dialog....
Is the Access Key correct?  Is there a typo?

On the Server, there is a test you can try.  Click on the Access Key to start.

Are you running 18.0.188 on both sides?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 11:21:50 am »

Is the Access Key correct?  Is there a typo?

Access key is correct - and as noted - will connect on the "second try". If the key was wrong - I would expect no connect at all.

On the Server, there is a test you can try.  Click on the Access Key to start.

Tried the test - instantly get an Information dialog telling me that the key has been copied to the clipboard etc - seems all good.

Are you running 18.0.188 on both sides?

18.0.188 here on the server (I take the Latest option on this machine for testing) while we have 18.0.175 (Stable) on the HTPC.

I also tried this entry on the "client"

http://192.168.0.191:52199/LibraryServer/

And I get the page with the five server types. I clicked on all five and all five run without incident (no firewall messages etc)

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:11 pm »

OK...making some progress here. Note: Windows Firewall and AV on the client are on. Same with "server" (this machine).

Overall - I made four changes...highlighted in bold...

1. First - while testing Jim's suggestions to input http://192.168.0.191:52199/LibraryServer/ on the client - I found IE9 (As installed by the OS install) was taking like 30 seconds to start. Found a tip on the web to go to Internet Options->Connections Tab->LAN Settings and uncheck Automatically Detect Settings. IE starts up with light speed after taking this off.
2. Then I fired up another box (that I also thought ran IE9) so I could check it's settings. This box booted up and it was then that I found out it had been upgraded via Windows Update to IE10. Checked it - starts instantly.
3. While on this box - which is also an MC "client" - I decided to fired up MC (18.0.175 - Stable) and it instantly connected to the Media Server (This machine) - with no delays
4. Seeing how nice IE 10 operated on this box - I decided to upgrade the HTPC to IE10 as well.
5. Over on the HTPC (via RDP) ran Windows Update and let it do it's thing...and then let the box "reboot" itself
6. After I gave it a few moments - I went back in via Remote Desktop
7. Imagine my surprise - MC auto started - right into Theater Mode and was ready to go! (No errors)
8. I then updated the version of MC on here to 18.0.188
9. And - for kicks - per Marko - I added the entire JRiver folder in AppData\Roaming to the NOD32 exclusion list

What role does IE play in all of this? Could the AV exclusion addition have something to do with it?

Update: HTPC errors again just moments ago via RDP after letting it sit for 10 minutes or so. So not quite there yet....it - as usual - does connect on the second try.

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:34 pm »

Did you check the connection after unchecking automatically detect settings?

Sounds like one for Jim's weird and wonderful thread.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:51 pm »

Did you check the connection after unchecking automatically detect settings? Sounds like one for Jim's weird and wonderful thread.

Yep. Seemed fine.

But then just a few minutes ago - error on first attempt.

I am restarting the HTPC now and will attempt to RDP to it...if I get Theater View...that's good...if I get an error...not so much.

Update - after RDP into HTPC (after reboot) - error message on screen rather than Theater View.....

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 11:20:41 am »

Update - RDP into HTPC this morning (after letting it sit all night) Theater View loaded first time

Closed MC and manually double click the MC icon to launch client - error loading library on first attempt. Loads fine on Retry.

Sigh.

Gonna keep at this one with relentless investigation until I find out what the issue is...

Cheers!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 11:22:56 am »

What happens without RDP?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:01:39 pm »

What happens without RDP?

To be honest - have not tried within the last few days. Basically - I use RDP just to do maintenance on the machine as it is headless, resides in the theater rack and will not have a mouse and keyboard attached.

When I first fired it up a few days back - I only had MC looking at it's own local library with a few test files just to see if I could get it up on screen and try to interact with it using my new JRiver Remote (which also has problems) but that's for another day :)

That seemed to work - but as soon as I switched it to "client" mode (connecting to my server) within the last 24 hours and have been troubleshooting these library loading issues -  I have not actually let it run on it's own to the big screen.

Will do that tonight and report back.

Cheers!

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 02:06:12 pm »

Jim...

What exactly does this mean (from the wiki):

The Library Server client uses Internet Explorer's proxy settings.

As a rule - we do not use IE at all on any computer here so I must admit - zero time goes into seeing if it's working or not. But I am wondering if this "proxy settings" thing might have something to do with these client issues?

When I go to Internet Options->Connections Tab->LAN Settings in any version of IE here - there is nothing set on that tab (except for the uncheck of Use Automatic Settings mentioned earlier)

So when the wiki says "uses proxy settings"...what settings is it expecting to see/use?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 02:17:06 pm »

If IE works, you don't need to worry.  You probably don't use one.

Try a Google search to learn about proxy servers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 09:48:23 am »

This could be malware.

It all sounds suspiciously like the behavior of an automated man-in-the-middle attack system.  I'd guess on the client machine, but it could be either.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 10:55:08 am »

This could be malware. It all sounds suspiciously like the behavior of an automated man-in-the-middle attack system.  I'd guess on the client machine, but it could be either.

Actually - I would be completely thrilled if it was malware - at least I would have a reason :).

But alas no - this box is a fresh build and only has three apps on it - Media Center, WinRAR and MS Security Essentials. It's as clean as can be and I have scanned it a lot in the past few days as I work through these issues.

As it stands right now - I get a guaranteed failure when the box cold boots, auto logs into Windows (using my account) and then auto-starts MC and tries to connect to the only Library Server on site (on my work PC).

As soon as the error dialog appears - I can instantly click Retry - and the server is instantly detected. And all is well.

However - since I haven't been able to get this solved (using the current layout - HTPC as a client) - I have to go to plan B - which is to cease using my personal workstation as Media Server and make the HTPC into our "master" - housing the actual library files and running the Media Server instance.

I will need to downgrade my workstation to be a "client" and hopefully I can continue to do my metadata editing in such a fashion that will not require too much intervention to the HTPC via RDP.

I cannot see any other solution - as I absolutely NEED the HTPC to be in Theater View 100% of the time for family usage. It's simply not an option to have my son fumbling around on the Windows desktop with nothing but our Media Center remote when all he wants to do is watch a movie.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:51 am »

Without re-reading, is this a headless server?  If so, try plugging in a monitor and keyboard to see what happens.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:00 am »

Without re-reading, is this a headless server?  If so, try plugging in a monitor and keyboard to see what happens.

Jim,

Yes - it's headless. I do have plans to have it connected to a monitor and keyboard (contained within the machine room that houses our new rack system). I suppose I could try and hook up in a temp manner.

What's the thinking on having these two items connected - and my issues?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 11:47:20 am »

It's just that you're seeing odd problems and it may be related to your setup.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:30 pm »

It's just that you're seeing odd problems and it may be related to your setup.

For certain there are issues - just not sure how connecting a monitor and keyboard has anything to do with it...

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 01:06:36 pm »

When we see odd problems like this, I always look for what is different.  It may have no relationship with the problem, but it's easy to eliminate it as a possibility.

The router is another possibility.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 01:24:05 pm »

When we see odd problems like this, I always look for what is different.  It may have no relationship with the problem, but it's easy to eliminate it as a possibility.

Understood...will give it a whirl

The router is another possibility.

Now - this one is more relevant to the issues at hand...within my router settings - I noted only one possible item related specifically to Media Center and that is that I have port forwarding on for 52199 - I must have had this in place a long while ago for testing purposes. I have had it "on" and saved router settings and then took it off and tried again - no change in the appearance of the error that I can see.

Will keep looking...if you have any other "router" specific things I should be checking - let me know.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Once in a while a problem has been solved by replacing a router.  I'm sorry, but I don't have other suggestions.  Maybe you can try a different network configuration.

JimH

• Administrator

Vocalpoint

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 01:41:43 pm »

This is interesting:http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80848.msg550354#msg550354

Except I am still getting the error as I sit in front of the TV watching the HTPC boot up and then start MC - not using Remote Desktop or anything....it simply cannot find the "media server"...until I click Retry of course - then it's good to go :)

Long term - instead of possibly wasting days (or weeks) trying to find a reason for this failure - it's probably better to just cut my losses and make the HTPC - our new master media "server" . At least I will solve the immediate issue of MC throwing an error when the PC boots into MC.

I don't mind having the error occur on a desktop "client" PC since I can always just use the mouse and click Retry...but having this appear on the big screen in the media room - when all we really want is to listen to music or watch a movie is beyond annoying...

I will try the suggestions of plugging in keyboard and monitor - just to be sure....:)

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 02:12:12 pm »

That is the configuration I am running, the HTPC doubles as Home Server too so all its media is local. Other devices connect to it.

If that's how you can run things I think its a good workaround to your problem, but it's no solution I'm afraid.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 02:24:48 pm »

That is the configuration I am running, the HTPC doubles as Home Server too so all its media is local. Other devices connect to it.

How are you handling your media adds, tag editing and so on with this config?

My only real concerns with promoting the HTPC to be the "master" is that I am so used to "controlling" the library and it's contents from my own desktop and have built a dedicated workflow around that - specifically things like running Auto Import manually and so forth.

With another PC as the "master" - and me now as a "client" - can I even do local metadata editing?  See - my workflow is heavily based around the "Explorer" on the tree in MC and being able to access local work folders (on my PC) to tag local media properly and then send a play copy to the server and the master copy to my Archive area for transfer to my offsite backup drives.

I suppose I could create a local "Edit" library too - so I could switch out of "client" mode and allow me to monitor a single local folder for new material - and then I could edit things there and move them along.

Thoughts?

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 03:19:42 am »

I've configured auto-import and new media is automatically placed in the correct folders so MC picks them up right away. The Get Movie & TV info works very well for me, I rarely need i correct things manually.

The exception is Audio. These files are initially placed in D:\Import and I have a view filtered on that location, with all the panes and fields I need to correct the tags. When I'm done, I move them with MC to the main Music folder so they dissapear from the "Import" view.

I can do the Music Import in two ways. Using UltraVNC on the HTPC itself or with my own PC. My PC can connect to the HTPC server to play but it also has its own library with all the same music folders imported. It shares the same views from the HTPC so I have the Import View. I can import them into my own local library, correct all the tags and move them to the main Music folder. My local MC library is then updated with the new location, the HTPC picks them up via the Auto-import folders.

Updating tags on existing files can be done both ways too, via UltraVNC but then I need to do an Update Library from tags on the edited files for its own library or when I correct tags on my own PC, I need to do an Update Library from Tags on the HTPC on the files I edited.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 07:49:56 am »

IM,

Send you a PM!

Cheers,

VP

Vocalpoint

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2013, 12:22:24 pm »

All,

With help from Glynor and the Windows 7 Task Scheduler (which is actually killer! - I am in business!

First - I removed any ability for MC to auto start anything at Windows boot - and created a scheduled task that launches 12 seconds AFTER Windows is up and settles down (especially the network interface).

Now I get a clean boot and a nice graceful entrance to Theater View - which is loaded and ready!

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Cheers!

VP

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »

Glad to hear you got that resolved!

Did you get my reply to your PM?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 10:06:47 am »

Did you get my reply to your PM?

Yes - I did. Lots of great stuff there which I will review and get back to you on this week.

Really wanted to get the HTPC thing fixed...and now that it is - I may just stay with my current layout - having my work PC acting as "Server" etc.

My only real question now is - after a set of updates to the "server"...maybe a few new albums - a movie added etc - how can I get those changes out to clients - without shutting them down?

I like leaving the HTPC in Theater Mode which makes for nice quick switching via the AVR - what I don't like is that it will not have the latest changes from the "master". I do not want to have to restart MC everytime there is a library update.

Is this possible?

VP

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 06:00:26 am »

What specific task do you start using the Task Scheduler?  My library server does not always start automatically. Thanks.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 07:32:44 am »

What specific task do you start using the Task Scheduler?  My library server does not always start automatically. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a different problem if your Library Server is not starting correctly.

In my case - Library Server is running on another PC. And is running fine.

I needed to create a task to start Media Center with a 12 second delay AFTER Windows comes up and gets itself settled down.

If you have reviewed the thread - on my PC - during a cold boot - if I have MC set to "auto start" - and the network interface is not yet initialized - the PC will instantly fail to connect to the Library server.

VP
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up