INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video hangs while accessing via VNC.  (Read 2203 times)

Otello

• World Citizen
Video hangs while accessing via VNC.
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »

I used VNC for years without problems with JR for audio, now I'm trying to use JR with video, too...

The problem is: if I start or close the VNC connection while playing videos, JR either hangs (Windows message saying JR stopped working) or the video file starts again from the beginning (with DVDs I get the start menĂ¹).

Suggestions?

For the record, the PC is a Bootcamped MacMini configured headless (but connected to the plasma display) running Win7, JR 18.0.189 and Ultra VNC server.

Thanks
Marco

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video hangs while accessing via VNC.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:05 pm »

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:53:22 pm »

sorry Jim, but I cannot see the relation: I use a stand alone PC (not a Client-Server configuration) and I have no problem with the network;
for the record, when I access with VNC and JR crashes, the VNC connection stay on (and I can restart JR using the remote desktop).

I suspect Windows change something in video settings when there's a VNC access and this confuses JR... Does it make sense?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:57:36 pm »

Both are headless servers.  Both problems seem unusual.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:02:12 pm »

OK Jim,

let's forget the lossless configuration. :-)

For the record I just connected mouse & keyboard, the monitor is still there, and the result is the same.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 02:08:38 pm »

I don't think this is going to work, it never has for me. This is probably not explained correctly and I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm far off, but the way I see it is that VNC "takes over" the video device to route or mirror the video stream to the VNC client and JRiver looses the connection, hence the black screen. JRiver uses DirectX and in VNC settings (or on their website) there is a warning there is no DirectX support (or its experimental).

Sometimes JRiver recovers after you connect with VNC but in the VNC client video will be black, stutter or completely freeze up.

If you start a movie with VNC client already connected, it will sort of work but you'll see tearing on your TV.

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »

Thanks, this makes sense and explain why the problem shows u only with video.

So, I suppose, the next step is me writing to UVNC guys asking for better DirectX support.  :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:43 pm »

I don't think this is going to work, it never has for me. This is probably not explained correctly and I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm far off, but the way I see it is that VNC "takes over" the video device to route or mirror the video stream to the VNC client and JRiver looses the connection, hence the black screen. JRiver uses DirectX and in VNC settings (or on their website) there is a warning there is no DirectX support (or its experimental).

Sometimes JRiver recovers after you connect with VNC but in the VNC client video will be black, stutter or completely freeze up.

If you start a movie with VNC client already connected, it will sort of work but you'll see tearing on your TV.

Essentially correct.

The mirror drivers (and VNC protocol, essentially) are not designed for real-time, high-framerate mirroring.  They never will be.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:35 pm »

The mirror drivers (and VNC protocol, essentially) are not designed for real-time, high-framerate mirroring.  They never will be.

Yes, of course!

So to speak, I'm not trying to stream video to the remote monitor,
I'd only need JR doesn't crash if I accidentally connect/disconnect with VNC while playing video  ;D,
actually I'm a very satisfied user of JRemote, I use the remote desktop only for maintenance (tagging, etc.), but it may happen...
A typical situation is when  I have VNC open with my laptop before starting a video, then the laptop goes to sleep and the music server crashes.  :'(

For the record, to avoid the video bleeding in the remote desktop, a good solution could be simulating two monitors: a fake primary monitor (simulated with a Gefen HDMI detective) accessed via VNC and running the main JR window, and the real plasma showing the video.
It's nice, it works, except for crashes when I accidentally close the VNC connection while playing a video.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up