INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Upgrade to MC19 -- Any Questions?  (Read 74693 times)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Upgrade Problems and Questions
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2013, 04:49:21 pm »

Update to the latest version first.  See how things work then.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83851.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

audio2addict

• Recent member
« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2013, 04:56:15 pm »

I have run the update for stable versions and it still says 19.032 is the current stable version. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2013, 04:59:00 pm »

audio2addict

• Recent member
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »

Thanks. ;D

No problem all evening.

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:01 am »

Hello,

i've just moved to 19.0.45 (from 18) and my onboard soundboard is not recognized by JR (please see attached screenshot)

Never had such a pb with MC18.

MB is ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO.

Many thanks in advance,

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2013, 08:37:33 am »

Did you try a reboot or a reinstall?

Does WMP work?

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2013, 07:04:18 am »

Hello Jim,

I tried both, no success.

I installed Asio4all, not better.

If WMP stands for Windows Media Player, it is not installed on my computer, so I cannot check.

MC18 works fine.

Thanks again

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2013, 07:31:24 am »

Try DirectSound in Audio settings.

I'll move this to a new thread.

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »

I'm sorry for not having been more specific in my first message.

As you can see on the attached screenshot (in my above message), in the droplist attached to "Device", the only available item is : "more".

Hence i cannot try Asio od Directsound or anything else.

Thanks again;

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2013, 01:06:22 pm »

I upgraded to 19 a couple of months ago.  I am still running XP but when I have time to load 7 I will.  Granted that my PC is in need of being upgraded.  It has not been high on my priority list as I have not had any problems with it.  As they say, if it works don't fix it.  All my audio and video files are located in a Linux server.

Problems that I have noticed when importing all the files and not converting my library.  (I do this each time I upgrade.)  I have about 60,000 audio files and 7,000 video files.

1.  Importing was very slow.  It took several days to import the audio files.  (I import by genre)  I don't know if there is something running in the background in MC 19 if so how do I turn it off?

2.  In the pane window for artist - All the artists are not listed.  Only about half.  What can I do to correct this.  I haven't checked the other panes yet as you can imagine it is very time consuming.

3.  I had to attach about 40% of the cover art manually.  This took several weeks to accomplish working at it when I had some time.

4.  While it imported the files there was a notice that some files could not be imported.  I could not find a listing of those files so I could investigate if I had some problems unrelated to MC19.  I would like to know if there is a method to produce a printable list of my audio files that were not imported.

5.  Importing video was worse than the audio.  It took over a week. 

6.  I have had to Look up every movie again and download cover art and description.  One problem I have, is that I have spent a significant amount of time setting up movie genre and series information.  When I down load movie info it changes it to a list for genre and changes the series info.  How can I prevent these two or other specific fields from being changed?

If I can get these issues resolved it would be helpful.

Thanks

ferraridoc

• Recent member
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:28 am »

I upgraded to MC 19 from MC 18 on my W7 PC  and no problems occurred. However in the slide show of the theatre mode I noticed that no slides are available for a lot of my music files.
In MC 18 there always were some pictures (sometimes  not closely related to music) during playing all the files.
In standard mode if I click on “images” on the upper bar, suddenly a lot of pictures appear related to the music.
I like the slide show when I listen to my music on theatre mode.
Any suggestions?

cedricomar

• Recent member
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2013, 07:46:17 am »

Hi, first thanks for a fantastic program, I started on MC18 and have been very happy with it and purchased the MC19 pre-order upgrade but have been waiting for it to go stable before I install. 

One question - I really love the Audio - "Recent Albums" search function that you have because I easily can go to new albums that I have added.  If I upgrade to MC19 will everything be re-imported and then will the recent albums then not be up to date?

Or if it does re-import is there any way that you can sort to determine when albums were added in chronological order?

Thanks

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:00 am »

Hello! I am going to upgrade from version 18 to 19 soon. I was wondering if it mattered if I upgrade before installing Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 or should I wait until after the Windows update. Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:41 am »

Either should work.

beginner44

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

Just to let you know,

I uninstalled .45 and installed the latest build => it's OK !

Take care

Paul W

• Junior Woodchuck
V18>v19 DSP studio?
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2013, 05:29:39 pm »

Will all DSP Studio settings (primarily PEQ) carry over from v18 to v19 as they did with "minor" v18 upgrades or should I set aside time to reset everything?

brookb

• Recent member
  • Yep, I'm a music loving geek.  :-)
Periods at start or end of directory or file name
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:41 pm »

I installed MC19.032.  I decided to update some songs on my Android phone.  I have MC set up to create stacked .mp3 files for copying to Android.  It is set up to create the stacked handheld files in a directory called "media/Audio Conversion Cache", and it creates them with an Artist/Album directory structure.  It can successfully sync the files to the device, but there's a problem if you want to delete the stacked conversion cache files.

The problem seems to be that some Albums have multiple periods at the start or end of their names.  For example: Joe Walsh/But Seriously Folks...   In MC's standard library, MC is smart enough to not put these periods into the directory name.  But in the Audio Conversion Cache, it creates the directory with the "..." in it.  After it does that, there is no easy way to delete the directory.  MC can't do it.  Windows can't do it.  The only way I figured to do it was from DOS, and that depends upon your system having Window's "Short" file names enabled.  These are the old legacy 8.3 filenames.  Here are the steps if anyone else runs into this:

Open a DOS prompt
'cd' into the directory that has a subdirectory or filename that starts or ends in periods.
Type 'dir /x'  This will show you the short file & directory names in addition to the long ones.
Delete offending directories with the following command:  rmdir /s SHORTFILENAME    For example rmdir /s butser~1

I updated to MC19.50, and the problem still exists.

Please fix MC to leave the periods out of the directory structure in the conversion cache directories.

slashguns04

• Recent member
« Reply #117 on: October 07, 2013, 09:41:55 am »

installed JRiver 19.0.51 crash import mp3 files

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2013, 11:02:19 am »

I see that latest version of MC19.0.50 has "Changed: DSD encoding targets a slightly more conservative volume level (by about 1.6dB) so that it works better with Sabre-based DACs (and possibly others)."

Can you provide more detail on what this change does for someone like myself with a Sabre-based DAC, i.e., Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC?

Thanks in advance.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2013, 07:33:34 pm »

I just tried to update to the latest version from 19.0.51 and the installer gets stuck in this insane flash of infinite repeating of the pop up dialog. Thoughts?? I deleted the .54  and re DL'd, but the same thing. First ever hiccup, yr program is the SH!T, MediaM-what!!

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2013, 01:04:48 pm »

I see that latest version of MC19.0.50 has "Changed: DSD encoding targets a slightly more conservative volume level (by about 1.6dB) so that it works better with Sabre-based DACs (and possibly others)."

Can you provide more detail on what this change does for someone like myself with a Sabre-based DAC, i.e., Mytek Stereo192-DSD-DAC?

Thanks in advance.

Is any additional information available on the effect of MC19.0.50 on Sabre-based DACs?
Trying to decide if upgrade from MC18 would be worthwhile.
Tnx

billg

• Recent member
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »

I downloded and installed MC19, applied the mjr.

Then I started MC19 and restored the old MC18 library into it.

This worked perfectly. No importing of the audio files necessary. It seems so easy.
Is there a hidden glitch with this method I don't know about?

tstarn13

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2013, 11:52:13 am »

I upgraded today from 18 to the latest v19. Figured I would uninstall V18 (both are listed as installed programs). But I keep getting a Windows host error (rundll) when I try to uninstall 18 (19 is not running at the time). Asks me to close the program for find a solution via MS, but the latter doesn't seem to work. Uninstall is working for other programs (I tried a few I no longer use to make sure). I also rebooted my system, still getting the problem no matter if I try using the control panel uninstall or the built in uninstall app). Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2013, 01:49:47 pm »

Download and install the latest version of MC18.  It's at the top of the MC18 board.  Then uninstall should work.

cedricomar

• Recent member
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2013, 07:42:01 am »

Please help! Crash on install.  :-[

I had a massive crash while I was backing up my data with Seagate Dashboard to external hardrive - new drive that I hadn't used before.  Basically it crashed my jriver 19.54, seagate dashboard, and computer.  My biggest concern was jriver!  Anyway after crash and reboot, jriver won't open, and seagate won't open.  They just kept crashing continually.  I also still had MC18 installed and i tried to open that and that crashed too.

I did full uninstall of both and reinstalls/reboots etc, seagate works, however jriver keeps crashing on install.  Can't get past no matter what i do. I previously had MC18 installed and I've tried reinstalls of both but it just won't work.

However, here's the strange part, I run my computer with two user accounts, one Admin, and one standard account.  The issue is only in the standard account.  In the admin account i have been able to reinstall jriver 19 and it works fine.  This is driving me nuts.  I've changed the standard account to an admin account but that hasn't helped.

So after a massive uninstall and clean  out, and a reinstall in the original admin account i thought it would all work.

But when I switch back the the standard account, it MC19 won't load.  JRiver tries and then nothing happens.  Then when I try and reinstall in the standard account it keeps crashing.  I've tried disabling virus, malware etc and i don't know what to do.  It seems to be clashing with something but I can't work it out.

Please help.  Thanks for any ideas!

EDIT:  I can now get MC18 and MC19 to install in the standard account however, they still won't load.  Just crash without even a message.  A crach dump file is generated each time and I've attached it although i don't know how to read it.  Thanks

2nd EDIT:  I was about to attach the crash dump files when i saw the CACHE folder, i looked in there and noted that one of the 'sort character table.dat' files was 0kb, and the others were 128kb, and incidentally the zero one was about the time the computer crashed.  So i thought what the hell i'll delete it, and it worked!  Everything is working now!!

Been sitting here since 7pm and now 12:30am.... off to bed for work tomorrow.  Hope this helps someone one day....

Anyone know what happened? 

Cheers

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2013, 09:16:06 am »

2nd EDIT:  I was about to attach the crash dump files when i saw the CACHE folder, i looked in there and noted that one of the 'sort character table.dat' files was 0kb, and the others were 128kb, and incidentally the zero one was about the time the computer crashed.  So i thought what the hell i'll delete it, and it worked!  Everything is working now!!

Nice detective work.

If the sort table is corrupt, it might cause sorting to stick in an infinite loop (since all characters will compare as equal).

We'll defend against this in a future build.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DanF

• Recent member
Help Please!!
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2013, 11:06:57 pm »

Hello JRiver Support and Users.

Sorry if this wasn't the right thread to place this.  I will place this in a new thread if need be....

I'm having a very difficult time trying to install JRiver MC 19 on my PC.  I've been using MC18 since April, and purchased the MC19 upgrade in July.  Today was the first time I've tried installing MC 19, and so far I've been unsuccessful.  I tried executing MediaCenter190060.exe, which led to an MC19 Task Window telling me that it was updating from a previous JRiver version.  From that point on, the task window becomes "unresponsive", but I can see that the program is accessing my audio/video library database on my Synology NAS.  The program is reading files from my NAS at around 30-60 mbps, but even after 15-20 minutes of this constant reading, the task window is unresponsive.  I just end up shutting down the MC19 update process to get back to my normal WinXP environment.  My MC18 library is composed of around 200-300 Gbytes of audio/video files, but I haven't read anything on this forum about how long it takes to upgrade to MC19 from MC18.  I've disabled my AVG(antivirus) processes before running the MC19 update.  I can't think of anything else to do right now to resolve this problem.  I'm hoping I don't have to remove my current MC18 library to successfully run the MC19 upgrade process.

Please help!

Thanks,
DanF

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2013, 07:23:17 am »

Let it run.  A lot of video on a NAS would be slow.

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2013, 10:27:06 am »

Let it run.  A lot of video on a NAS would be slow.
Okay, Jim.  That's just what I'm doing right now.  It has been almost an hour that I ran the MC 19 update software, and the task window still says, "updating from a previous version....".  I didn't realize it would take this long to do an update.  What is the update program doing to my MC 18 library?  I don't recall it taking this long to even create my library in MC18???

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:07 am »

Let it run.  If it is analyzing video and you have a lot of video on a NAS drive, it could take a long time.

It doesn't touch your MC18 library.  It gets a copy and converts it.

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2013, 10:41:11 am »

Bad news!!  After nearly an hour of running the update program, I got a popup window telling me I am low on local disk space.... :( ....followed by an MC19 update window saying, "Install wizard could not copy the necessary files to the destination folder". "Please ensure that the file "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 19\JR Tools.dll is not in use".   

How much local disk memory do I need to update to MC 19?  99% of my audio /video library is on my NAS.  I only had about 10 Gig of free local disk space on my laptop before starting the MC19 update process.  Does the update require more than 10 gig to install?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:06 am »

Bad news!!  After nearly an hour of running the update program, I got a popup window telling me I am low on local disk space.... :( ....followed by an MC19 update window saying, "Install wizard could not copy the necessary files to the destination folder". "Please ensure that the file "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 19\JR Tools.dll is not in use".   

How much local disk memory do I need to update to MC 19?  99% of my audio /video library is on my NAS.  I only had about 10 Gig of free local disk space on my laptop before starting the MC19 update process.  Does the update require more than 10 gig to install?

The install of MC should only use about 100MB.

Download MC19 manually and run it.  It should only take a few minutes, even on a slow computer.

If the problem persists, try running the install with the /NoUpgrade switch to prevent it from auto-migrating MC18 settings to MC19.

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2013, 11:03:32 am »

The install of MC should only use about 100MB.

Download MC19 manually and run it.  It should only take a few minutes, even on a slow computer.

If the problem persists, try running the install with the /NoUpgrade switch to prevent it from auto-migrating MC18 settings to MC19.
Ok, Matt.  I'll give that a try.  How do I get back all the local hard drive space I just lost from the stopped/unfinished MC19 update process?  I had over 10 gig before running, now I have only 125 MB free.  I need to get back that hard drive space....??

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2013, 11:34:05 am »

Alright guys, I'm trying to get back all my lost hard drive space I had before running the mc19 update sw.  I noticed a directory path, "C:\Documents and Settings\..\Application Data\J River\Media Center 19", which is over 25 Gigabytes in size.  Holy Cow!!!   The "Media Center 18" Directory in the same tree path above is only 318 Mbytes in size.  What gives?  Should I delete the whole "Media Center 19" directory?  

This is getting really strange.....it looks like the MC 19 update sw is trying to create a "local" library of my whole audio/video library on my NAS.  That's not going to work for me....I don't have that much local hard drive space to create a copy of my NAS audio/video library. 

?

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »

Well, I deleted the whole "JRiver Media Center" directory structure I described above.  I gained back 25 Gig of hard drive space. It looks like MC19 update would have eventually tried to create a whole "local" library of my NAS Library if I had enough local hard disk space to do it, which no way on earth will I ever have that amount...it was making local copies (on my laptop) of my flac files/directory structure that are stored on my NAS....WTH??

Matt, what do you mean by "manually" running the MC19?  I thought that's what I did?  I'm running a local copy of "MediaCenter190060.exe" on my laptop.

I just don't understand why MC19 has to create a local library (or even a temp copy of it) from my 300 Gig library on my NAS?  That's not a viable/proper installation for me....

Help guys...

toolio

« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2013, 02:43:11 pm »

Hi.
I have looked for the answer here but haven't found it. If it exists, my apologies for my poor search skills. I have a question about upgrading and restores.

If I upgrade to v19 from 18 are my allowed restores reset to their maximum number? Because of computer rebuilds and purchases and some installation wonkiness I am low on v18 restores and probably won't have enough to complete v19 installs on all my computers unless the number allowed is reset after purchasing the upgrade.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2013, 02:51:07 pm »

If I upgrade to v19 from 18 are my allowed restores reset to their maximum number?
Yes.
Because of computer rebuilds and purchases and some installation wonkiness I am low on v18 restores and probably won't have enough to complete v19 installs on all my computers unless the number allowed is reset after purchasing the upgrade.
You can extend your restores by using the 30 day trial period and by using the Install Key during the first 14 days.

DanF

• Recent member
« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »

Support,

Should I create a new thread with my above stated MC19 upgrade problems?  I still don't have any resolution.  I don't know why MC19 upgrade is trying to create a whole local library of my MC18 NAS audio/video library.  It is copying all my flac/audio files from my NAS onto my local (laptop) drive, and chewing up the remaining few gigs of local storage I have.  Why does it copy all my audio files from my NAS and try to put them in a "library" directory on my local drive? ( C:\Documents and Settings\..\Application Data\J River\Media Center 19\library").  I don't have the space to create a local library.  I want my libraries to remain on the NAS. 

I really would like to get this resolved.

Thanks,
Dan

jmarsh

« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »

I am having a strange problem. I have Windows 8.1. I installed Media Center 17 with no problems. I then wanted to upgrade to Media Center 19. When I run the installer and the files extract, the next dialog box freaks out and has graphic glitches to the point where I can't read or see anything within the box itself. Then, when I go to Task Manager it says the program is not responding. I've tried compatibility mode and disable display scaling, but nothing works. I also tried installing in safe mode. The install went fine, but when I went back to non-safe mode I tried opening the program and got the message that Media Center 19 was installed for a different operating system and to re-install. I'm not sure how to fix this.

freesteve

• Recent member
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2013, 10:03:59 am »

Is ASIO available in ver. 19   my update shows no ASIO??  please send me info    Thanks...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2013, 11:05:25 am »

I removed your e-mail address.  It attracts spammers.

freesteve

• Recent member
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2013, 02:43:48 pm »

ASIO in 19??

sorepinky

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2013, 01:02:08 am »

There is a problem with the cut/paste tags feature on 19/60 and it's been happening for a number of versions.  I'm talking about the Ctrl/shift/V feature to transpose meta from the redbook layer to files from the same album with higher res. content.  When you update tags from library then go back to Windows to see the files, there are random extra files added to the folder which were not there beforehand.  It seems that files are being copied across in addition to just the meta.  Something strange is going on.  See image here where tracks 4, 10 and 12 (randomly) are accompanied by their red-book counterparts:

These were not there prior to the tag-pasting and updating.

Also, the cover art which was imported from folder.jpg to the redbook versions should be the same in each file, but for some reason its showing as different.

Bandit281969

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2013, 08:04:23 am »

Hello- I have the latest version of 19 and I am getting messages "the volume labelled (name of track) cannot be found , try again? Y N Cancel.

Then it cycles through every track of the ripped  CD. How can I stop this?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2013, 08:33:00 am »

Hello- I have the latest version of 19 and I am getting messages "the volume labelled (name of track) cannot be found , try again? Y N Cancel.

Then it cycles through every track of the ripped  CD. How can I stop this?

Are you using Windows or Mac?  What is the version number.

Please try another CD.  You could read about ripping on our wiki.

I'll split this to a new thread.

Headfimiami

« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2013, 10:23:46 pm »

Recently upgraded from MC18 to 19 I have Windows 7 64 bit.  MC 18 still shows in my programs and when I click on the MC icon MC 18 opens up. I have to go to windows program and select MC19 in order to use MC19.

Should I delete MC18 and download MC19 again? MC19 and MC18 function with no problems.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2013, 06:33:34 am »

You could uninstall MC18.

Or you could put a shortcut on the desktop for MC19 and delete the MC18 shortcut.

Check file associations in both versions.

MrNui

« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2013, 04:25:08 am »

Help me please....

sorepinky

« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2013, 07:46:32 pm »

The tag pasting problem that I posted earlier seems to have been fixed in version 19/67.  Not only that, but when I pressed "Update tags from library" it happened in a flash instead of the minutes that it used to take.  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »

Help me please....

Try running the installer with the switch /NoUpgrade.  You can do this by creating a shortcut on the desktop and editing it.  Or from the command line if you're so inclined.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up