INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: will Media Center 19 be able to handle a library of 50,000 CDs?  (Read 3559 times)

soundscience

• Recent member
will Media Center 19 be able to handle a library of 50,000 CDs?
« on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:18 pm »

I'm building a 16 TB server and am assuming that MC 19 can deal with 50,000 CDs ripped to FLAC.

Please JRiver Support is this going to work.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: will Media Center 19 be able to handle a library of 50,000 CDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 06:49:58 pm »

If you mean 50,000 tracks, no problem.

If you mean 500,000 tracks you will have one of the larger libraries so may be in uncharted territory but I predict it will work well because I have 300,000 and all is excellent.

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:07:00 pm »

I have almost 400 000 FLAC files and almost 100 000 MP3 files.

MC19 handles that, but I won't deny it can be a little sluggish when navigating and searching the music section.

If the current view is just showing videos it doesn't feel slow except when importing in the background.

That is probably my biggest problem with the program. That it kind of freezes for a second or two every time it writes to the library file it seems.
If I have to reimport all the music for some reason, it can be a chore to use it for a good while, since importing half a million tracks takes a long time.

The only application I've tried that feels faster and not as "bogged down" by the sheer size of the collection is Foobar2000, but that doesn't handle video or images and there are other features of MC I miss when using it too.
I've tried importing all the music in "Media Browser 3" and the server just crashes. I've tried XBMC and it gets very slow and unstable with all that music loaded, even though the music features suck compared to MC.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:47 pm »

Gosh.  I thought I had a lot but these numbers are insane.  Is this a personal collection? 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:26:57 pm »

MC may be slow in the beginning, but it will speed up after it's done analyzing files, getting cover art, building thumbnails, etc.

Make sure your MC database isn't on a NAS drive.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:31:49 pm »

Make sure your MC database isn't on a NAS drive.
What would be best for a library of that size?
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »

What would be best for a library of that size?

The library itself should be on the fastest drive you have.  An SSD is best.

It doesn't really matter where the media files are.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:08 pm »

The library itself should be on the fastest drive you have.  An SSD is best.

It doesn't really matter where the media files are.
Oh, got it.  Library not Library as in media files.  I see.  Yes, of course!

My podcast:

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »

Gosh.  I thought I had a lot but these numbers are insane.  Is this a personal collection?  

I do not own these on CD or any other physical format.

I can also tell you that I probably won't listen to 5% of those tracks, but the collection is now so huge I have a problem if I want to decide what to keep.
It takes up 13-14 TB and I've got a total of 40 TB available, spread over 13 drives. 5x4TB, 4x3TB and 4x2TB.
What it does not need is a lot of physical space in my house and that is why I keep it.

To be honest I use most of my spare money on blu-ray and I own over 1300 of them. Has not cost me nearly as much as 50 000 albums would of course, but I find it easier to buy a movie I like rather than buying a whole album just because I like 1 track on it. I find most albums today have a lot of boring tracks. Whenever I stumble over an album that is good as a whole I have no problem paying for it.

I like most music and will at least try to listen to anything before judging. I could use Justin Timberlake as an example. I bought FutureSex/LoveSounds, but I won't buy The 20/20 Experience (Part 1) because I only liked "Mirrors". Probably the reason that track was played to death on the radio, but the rest of the album was "never" heard. Except "Suit and Tie" maybe.

Another recent album I will buy is "Bastille - Bad Blood". I believe I like every single track on that album. Same goes for the self titled album by "The Lumineers".
I've bought every album "The Shins" have released. Both albums by "The XX" too.
So I guess I prefer mostly albums in the indie genre. Maybe they put more genuine effort into their albums.

I do listen to a lot of electronic music too, but the problem with most of it is that it's either released on vinyl or just as digital downloads. I do not like to pay for downloads. Especially from stores that won't allow redownload if the files are lost. I still have CDs that are almost as old as myself. I do not have any 20+ year old files on any harddrive.

Just for the record. I have my MC library files on a Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD so the sluggishness I experience is not due to a slow drive.

soundscience

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:35 pm »

Hi Every one,

Thank you all for your Posts, they have been very helpful.

This is for a personal collection but it is not my collection.

I put the OS and JRiver and DB Power Amp on a SSD, Music will be on 2 internal 4 TB conventional drives and a pair of External USB 3.0 4 TB HDs.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 01:13:48 am »

I'm up to almost 400K files and MC is still pretty snappy on i7 4ghZ quad core with SSD 16GB RAM etc. JMARK of almost 5000.

I found that removing all video and images files helped make it even more responsive; tried the new User Accounts system too but it did not have the same effect.

knuta

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 09:22:53 am »

Including video and everything I now have 542199 files in the library and it works surprisingly well.
Of course, if these guys could manage to make it as fast as with 10 000 files loaded that would make me very happy, but as of today I have not found a single application that handles a huge library like this better than JRiver.

I got this result from the benchmark with an i7-3770K, 16 GB of RAM and Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB SSD:

Code: [Select]
=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3,623 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2,414 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1,205 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0,809 seconds
Score: 2360

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0,508 seconds
    Flood filling... 0,374 seconds
    Direct copying... 0,448 seconds
    Small renders... 1,149 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 0,777 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0,531 seconds
Score: 5808

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0,369 seconds
    Populate database... 1,183 seconds
    Save database... 0,309 seconds
    Reload database... 0,062 seconds
    Search database... 0,936 seconds
    Sort database... 0,955 seconds
    Group database... 0,552 seconds
Score: 4925

JRMark (version 19.0.60): 4364

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:30:09 pm »

Including video and everything I now have 542199 files in the library and it works surprisingly well.
Of course, if these guys could manage to make it as fast as with 10 000 files loaded that would make me very happy, but as of today I have not found a single application that handles a huge library like this better than JRiver.

Please pick one specific action you'd like faster (the one that bothers you most), and start a thread with details on how to reproduce the slowness.  Mail a library backup to logs at jriver dot com, so we can test the same on our side.

We might be able to help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 01:47:39 am »

I'm building a 16 TB server and am assuming that MC 19 can deal with 50,000 CDs ripped to FLAC.

Please JRiver Support is this going to work.

Tagging will be pretty slow.
But otherwise it will probably work.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:32 am »

Tagging will take time to write to files, yes, but making library changes doesn't take long to reflect.

One issue I think could cause you a problem.

If you are doing a lot of ripping and trying to work in mc doing library organization, the views will be reset (you'll lose your place, as files get import during ripping.

There may be a way to turn this off? It's really rough on any type of stable workflow.

soundscience

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:22:33 am »

Hi,

My customer has a  iTunes library of 300,000 songs and they are all ranked, anyone know how to import the rankings into Media Center?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 09:33:27 am »

If you mean ratings, I think people have sometimes made playlists in iTunes for each group, exported them, and then imported into MC.

cfineman

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 11:55:21 am »

Is there a basic rule-of-thumb for predicting the size of the MC media library? I'm piecing together a new HTPC and want to install a sufficiently large SSD to locally host the DB (all content on a NAS... about 4000 albums/60k tracks... maybe 200 movies... all growing of course)

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 12:56:58 pm »

The database is tiny and should fit on any SSD.

My Library is 6MB, Cover Art folder 100MB, total JRiver folder including backups 148MB. That's for an audio library of 490GB, 23,000 files and a video library of 3.1TB, 880 programmes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up