INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reclock - but  (Read 2942 times)

BenKenobi

Reclock - but
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:28:05 am »

I'm trying to find a way to make JRiver change the display 'fps' to match the fps of the source material that it is playing.

This could be 24 or 25, even 30 as I have some NTSC material.

My display is more than capable of handling the frame rates but in the video options you only seem to be able to select a 'single' resolution / frame rate for each mode.

It seems that JRiver isn't analysing the source correctly or setting the appropriate fps, I read some posts here that seem to indicate that I need to add the fps to a tag of some description.

NOTE : my source could be an AVI or MP4 or MKV file but the frame rate can be different - why is a long story - so a single fps per media type will not work.

I DON'T want to use 'reclock', I want the display to match the source, not the source to match the display. I tried reclock in both Media Centre and also AnyDVD reclock but both screw around with the source - this is NOT what I want to do.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reclock - but
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:37:04 am »

You can configure which display mode to use for which fps in the options under Video -> Display Settings. It'll map a specific display mode to any specific input fps, meaning you can configure one to use for 24 fps, one for 25, and one for 30.

You can also check which display mode a particular file will use by looking at its tags. Any video files have a FPS tag, which is used to deteremine the appropriate mode to use.
If a file behaves wrong, you can check these tags then. You can open the tag window by pressing Alt-Enter when having a file selected in standard view.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

Media Center's equivalent to ReClock is VideoClock, which I recommend leaving enabled at all times.

It sounds like you are looking to change your refresh rate to match the framerate of the source material.
Those settings are found under Tools → Options → Video → Display Settings

If you are using Red October HQ for playback, I recommend using the madVR display mode switcher instead.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 09:44:57 am »

If you are using Red October HQ for playback, I recommend using the madVR display mode switcher instead.
JRiver recommends using one of the Red October settings, with no additional changes to madVR.  Such changes are for experts only and can cause problems.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:04:15 am »

JRiver recommends using one of the Red October settings, with no additional changes to madVR.  Such changes are for experts only and can cause problems.
madVR's display mode switcher is easier to configure than Media Center's, and "smarter" in the decisions it makes.

It will also switch to the correct 24/60Hz refresh rates on Windows 8/8.1 which Media Center's does not. (it switches to 23/59Hz)

I agree that most of the madVR settings are complex for new users, but if you are using ROHQ, I cannot recommend using the MC19 display mode switcher.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

madVR's display mode switcher is easier to configure than Media Center's

How is selecting the modes you want in the dropdowns hard?
Even opening the madVR config is harder than that, since it cannot be opened without madVR being active for playback.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 11:06:06 am »

Our plan is to someday make automatic display setting three state:
Off
On (automatically choose best settings)
On (allow me to customize settings)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »

How is selecting the modes you want in the dropdowns hard?
There are six fields to select, and the lists are ridiculously huge.

In the madVR config, I just type 1080p24, 1080p50, 1080p60 and I'm done.
I don't have to make any decisions about what input → output formats are being used, madVR handles it.

If the menus were simplified from:

1920x1080x32x23
1920x1080x32x24
1920x1080x32x25
1920x1080x32x29
1920x1080x32x30
1920x1080x32x50
1920x1080x32x59
1920x1080x32x60

To something like:

1080p → 23Hz
      → 24Hz
      → 25Hz
      → 29Hz
      → 30Hz
      → 59Hz
      → 60Hz

720p → 23Hz
      → 24Hz
      → 25Hz
      → 29Hz
      → 30Hz
      → 59Hz
      → 60Hz

I think it would be a lot easier.

Try setting all the outputs to some variant of 720p to see what I mean.

Even opening the madVR config is harder than that, since it cannot be opened without madVR being active for playback.
I suppose that's true.

BenKenobi

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 03:50:19 am »

Been playing around as suggested, am using maDVR.

ctrl-J shows the info that it thinks it is working with from the file and  I still see dropped frames / judder on some titles - including blu ray material, sometimes setting the display frequency manually will eliminate this - sometimes not.

I'm going to do some media analysis later and throw some selected files at JRiver and see how it handles them. I'll let you know.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 07:01:19 am »

Been playing around as suggested, am using maDVR.

ctrl-J shows the info that it thinks it is working with from the file and  I still see dropped frames / judder on some titles - including blu ray material, sometimes setting the display frequency manually will eliminate this - sometimes not.

I'm going to do some media analysis later and throw some selected files at JRiver and see how it handles them. I'll let you know.
In some cases, dropped frames can be caused by your video card not being fast enough for madVR.

However, if you're only seeing the odd dropped/repeated frame here and there, make sure you have VideoClock enabled in Media Center's options, and you might want to try enabling or disabling hardware acceleration.
Pages: [1]   Go Up