INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need DLNA Help  (Read 1890 times)

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
Need DLNA Help
« on: December 29, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »

I have three computers running MC19 and a NAS which holds all of my audio.

Each of the computers has its own local library pointed at the NAS share.
Each computer is only pointed at the NAS share, thus each computer has the identical library.
This was done as each computer may be off at any given time.
Media Network is fully turned on on each computer, there is no Authentication.

Problem is I am assuming under Playing Now that each computer should be listed as Player and the other two systems running MC19.

Here is what I see:

Computer 1 sees Computer 2 but not Computer 3
Computer 2 sees Computer 1 but not Computer 3
Computer 3 sees Computer 1 but not Computer 2

Computer 1 is listed as the Library Server (don't understand what this means or how it is set).

I would like each computer to be able to see each other under the Playing Now section as Players so that I can route audio/video as needed.

Thoughts?  I assume I am doing something wrong??!!??

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need DLNA Help
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:08 am »

The wiki has a topic on Media Network that should help.

Try using two machines first, one as the server using Library Server, and one as a client.  Make sure that works for you before adding a third.

A firewall can prevent access.

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:08:20 pm »

Jim,

Gone through the Wiki.  It is primarily set up for setting one system as the Library Server and the others as clients.  I have computer one set as a library server, but the other two are just set on their own, with their own access to the music files on a NAS.  The Wiki actually provides very little information.

What are the issues with the Firewall?
All computers on the same physical network, what should the settings be?
Why can Computer 1 see one computer and not he other?

Thanks

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:12:28 pm »

First off this should not be a DLNA set up, only your computer one will be running a generic DLNA but the client PCs should be sharing the master library found on PC1

this might help you ... http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81262.msg564424#msg564424 -- of course this is for version 18 but generally things are the same for a network config in 19. Some settings might have moved around on the options panel though ...

As Jim said, start with two add the third PC after you have it working with one client and one "media server" (your PC1)

TopDownDriver

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:57:28 am »

Alright followed all of the instructions and it appears to be working.

I am sharing the Library Server's database with the two client computers.

However, I can not "Play To" either of the client computers.  I can "Play To" the Library Server, or the Client Computer I am on, or the Xbox on my network, but not to the Clients.  The Library Server only sees the Xbox as a potential "Play To" option.

I would like each system to be able to Play To any of the other systems on the network.  Where do I go from here???

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 11:22:18 am »

hmm I thought I remembered your name  ;) -- we discussed this in detail in this post already http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=85473.msg585723#msg585723. Mwillems basically gave you a solution but it didn't work for you, no? In looking into this further you can't  really get what you want, but you should be able to get what you need.

Let's look at this another way ....

• a machine running media server can share it library. It can also render, and control its own local playback
  • a machine running just MC as a client does not share its library; It can render, and control BOTH its own playback and the maching running jr-media server.
  • The NAS is "serving files" but is not a "media server" it is the same as an external drive as jriver is not installed on it.

Client 1 however will "see" Client 2 and vice versa but there is no server/client relationship between them, so they cannot "control" each other.

The only way at this time that I can see to do what you want is to run media server on all three machines, building three separate  (but identical) libraries which brings along syncing headaches if they are all running concurrently (I can think of a couple of workarounds) - consequently ONE machine should still be considered as the MASTER media server.

What I would do before attacking syncing issues is to test the following. Create a new library (do not use "main" to avoid confusion with the master) on both client 1 and 2 exactly as you have done in with the PC you call Library server. on Client 1 turn on media server and on your server PC turn it off. Now the roles are reversed. You can do the same turning client 2 into the server PC. However at least two of the three pc must be on/asleep and set to wake on LAN at all times. For this to be at all viable you should have win pro on each and use remote desktop (or install something like vnc) to turn on or off the media server on all machines from the client you want to control from. Sort of a pain in the butt, but possible.

If this suits you, I can look into avoiding sync problems. In the mean time, insure  that when tagging from a client your current "Library Server" PC is the master library until you have a comfortable and secure workflow setup . I would also recommend that any valuable tag field is configured to "write to file when possible" in options.

The XBOX is different because it is really just a DLNA renderer; in other words, you are just streaming media to it. Bitstreaming for the pcs is possible but you lose much functionality, and that I think is not what you are looking for.

csimon

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 05:59:37 am »

I think the issue is that:

Each of the computers has its own local library pointed at the NAS share.
Each computer is only pointed at the NAS share, thus each computer has the identical library.
This was done as each computer may be off at any given time.

Therefore setting up JRiver's version of client and server won't work.  The PCs and libraries are independent, but he wants to be able to see and control one instance of MC from another.  Is it not possible to do this without making one PC a client of the other and introducing synch issues?  This is why the DLNA method might be appropriate?

Pages: [1]   Go Up