INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using 'Cover Art'->'Add From File' Causes Media Center 19.0.104 / .067 To Crash  (Read 1376 times)

copterdoctor

I'm a relatively new user to Media Center 19 and have just started to organize my media library that I have located on my external hard drive. I keep on having a problem as of late in that when I select a batch of media files and try and add the album art by right clicking the batch of files and selecting 'Cover Art'->'Add From File', typically after I've selected the artwork from the folder that exists on my external hard dirve (typically within the folder that has the files I'm trying to add the art to) Media Center goes through the routine of applying the tag changes but then Windows Vista pops up with an error message that 'A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available'. I say typically cause there has been a few times that it crashed while trying to locate the artwork on the external drive.

I tried unistalling and re-installing MC19 to no avail. I upgraded it to 19.0.104 from .67 and it's still the same. I disabled my anti-virus software, un-checked the auto-import, the problem still persists. I can add artwork by using 'Get From Internet' but I can't get good artwork always by using this option. I've used the 'Add From File' before and it would crash, but not always. Usually if it tagged it properly once, it won't crash with the subsequent use of it. Today it's crashing all the time. I've attached a log file, unfortuantely I can't dechiper what the problem is with it. I'm hoping someone a lot smarter than me on this can help with a solution.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9400 laptop, 32-bit Vista, 2GB RAM, 256MB GeForce Go 7900GS, SigmaTel Audio

Thanks for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Thanks for all the detail.

On what kind of volume are the media files themselves stored?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team

I can't reproduce this with build 104, using a local Library and either local media files or those on a windows network share.

When you add cover art, MC will add the art itself to the file's tags, which requires write-access to the files.  If some of the files are corrupt, or you get bad data back from disk, MC might crash.  You might want to check your disks for trouble:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Media_Center_Troubleshooting_Guide#Check_Your_Disks_and_OS_For_Trouble

If the disk is a network disk, you may also need to update drivers for your network device, or other general drivers:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Drivers
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.

The crash is occurring here:

0932247: 3012: General: CFileInfo::ImportCoverArt: Start
0932247: 3012: General: CFileInfo::ImportCoverArt: filename=F:\Music\English Music\Evanescence Discography\Singles\2011 - What You Want [FLAC]\Cover Art\What You Want.jpg
0932528: 3012: General: CFileInfo::ImportCoverArt: Finish (281 ms)
0932574: 3012: General: CFileInfo::Close: Start

0936334: 4720: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Unhandled exception -- program crashing
0936334: 4720: General: TopLevelExceptionFilter: Message: 15, wParam: 0, lParam: 0

so someone will probably need to see what is causing the TopLevelExceptionFilter thread 4720 from getting an exception.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I disabled my anti-virus software, ...
If the antivirus software is the problem, you may need to uninstall it, not just disable it.

copterdoctor

Thank you guys for your replies. There is a possibility there is a problem with the relationship with my external hard drive (2TB WD My Passport) and laptop. I travel a lot so I've been picking away forever trying to get this mess of media organized before I venture into network drives and set it all up at home.

I didn't think about checking for new drivers for the external drive. I've never had an obvious issue. It's hit me now that from time to time when I try and save cover art from the net to the folder on the external hard drive where the album presides, explorer will sometimes crash as well. I didn't put 2 and 2 together. If I save it to My Pictures on my C: drive and then transfer it to the folder on the external it's fine. Odd one way works but not the other. I see there a new firmware update from WD but I will definitely need to back up the drive before I try anything, and seeing as I'm out of town at the moment, it'll be next weeks project unless I figure something out in between then. I'll keep you posted. I'll run the scan of the drive as glynor suggested anyways just in case this relatively new drive is causing me some issues.

Thanks for your all your efforts!

Pages: [1]   Go Up