INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HD Homerun + JRMC19 = No QAM Channels???  (Read 2895 times)

texneus

• Recent member
HD Homerun + JRMC19 = No QAM Channels???
« on: March 01, 2014, 11:01:27 pm »

Trying to setup a new MC system with Win7 x64.  I have an HD Homerun tuner (latest drivers) with one input connected to Verizon Fios QAM (tuner 0), the other to an antenna (tuner 1).  In the HDHR setup I can scan for, find, and view both QAM and ATSC channels on the respective tuners, but when I scan channels in MC I can only pick up ATSC channels from tuner 1.  Scanning for QAM on tuner 0 doesn't even seem to create any activity on the HDHR.  I'm at my wits end on this...how do you get QAM working?

texneus

• Recent member
Re: HD Homerun + JRMC19 = No QAM Channels???
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 03:42:25 pm »

Update, I'm having to resort to throwing random switches and levers trying to make this work.  On an absolute lark I changed the HD Homerun setup from "J River Media Center" to "Other: ATSC/QAM".  Now JRiver actually reaches out to the HDHR when I have it scan for QAM channels. The HD Home run Setup finds 101 QAM channels in the clear.  JRiver finds 0.  I can watch JRiver scan from the HDHR Config GUI and pass right by channels it should be able to receive.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »

Take a look at Yaobing's advice to others with HDHomerun.  I believe that Media Network has to be on in MC.

texneus

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:27:14 pm »

Some success...maybe.

I searched for Yaobing's posts for references to HDHR, HD Homerun and I found references to enabling media network but for HDHR Prime.  To be clear, I am using the original (old) white HD Homerun, not the PRIME, PLUS, or one of the other recent variants.  In any case, I did try that suggestion and it made no difference.  However in so doing I noticed my firewall was (quietly) blocking HDHR incoming communications despite that I had a MC rule set.  Once I deleted the rule and recreated it, channels appeared during a scan.  BUT...when I change the HDHR setup back to J River Media Center, it behaves just as it did before (no activity on HDHR tuners whatsoever).  It seems I have to have the HDHR on "Other ATSC/QAM" setting for J River to even talk to it (more likely I suspect J River talks just fine since it doesn't know how the HDHR is set, but HDHR just ignores it's queries in this "mode" for whatever reason).  So I guess the overall question of "how are you supposed to set this up?" remains...

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:48:29 pm »

Some success...maybe.

I searched for Yaobing's posts for references to HDHR, HD Homerun and I found references to enabling media network but for HDHR Prime.
So I guess the overall question of "how are you supposed to set this up?" remains...

I've got an Australian DVB-T unit, so this is a clutch at straws, "give it a go" kind of offer that I'm pretty sure won't make your situation worse. I know this has fixed problems before that weren't explicable:
Launch the setup software and go to the Advanced tab. Find the Repair button, click it and then click Apply.

I had that advice provided to me by SiliconDust tech support some time back and have used it when the unit wasn't working for me. In most cases it either fixed matters or there was no change.

If you continue to have problems, one path to travel down is to raise a SiliconDust support ticket and initialise the support logging function in the setup software at the Advanced tab. You could also check their support forum. I've said it before that the SD tech support aren't as responsive as the MC team but by "also ran" standards, I've found them to be quite good.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:53 am »

If  "Other: ATSC/QAM" works, use it.

I do not know exactly how SiliconDust does it, but I suspect they had some outdated info on "JRiver Media Center" setting.  Maybe they thought JRiver only supports ATSC or DVB-T, but not QAM.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

texneus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 03:52:37 pm »

Astromo, thanks for the suggestion but it didn't make a difference.

Yaobing "If  "Other: ATSC/QAM" works, use it."

The lack of any official setup instructions or user guide is a huge problem for software this complex.

Since I'm reasonably certain a "JRiver Media Center" setting in the HDHR setup serves a purpose (seems unlikely they put it there 'just because'), I went ahead and opened a ticket at Silicon Dust and gave them some channel scanning logs, and within 90 minutes they determined what the issue is. When searching for HDHR issues there are an alarming number of hits and requests for help. How much frustration and time could have been saved if this was properly fixed once and for all a long long ago at the first occurance?

Hello,
It looks like JRiver has added QAM support since the last time we updated its profile in HDHomeRun Setup. We've reached out to the developer of the application to ask for an update so that we can change the HDHomeRun driver's behavior to best match what JRiver can use. For now, go ahead and use the Other:ATSC/QAM setting, as that will bypass the workaround we currently have in place.

Silicondust Support

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 04:46:01 pm »

So they are telling you the same thing that Yaobing told you.

I removed some of the disrespectful comments from your post.  If we knew why it wasn't working for you, we'd say. 

Often problems like this turn out to be related to other software running.  Even WMC can cause problems, but firewalls and other security software have to be set correctly for it to work.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:39:50 pm »

I received an email from SiliconDust and confirmed with them that we now natively support clear QAM.  They will make changes.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:38 pm »

Astromo, thanks for the suggestion but it didn't make a difference.

Yaobing "If  "Other: ATSC/QAM" works, use it."

The lack of any official setup instructions or user guide is a huge problem for software this complex.

Since I'm reasonably certain a "JRiver Media Center" setting in the HDHR setup serves a purpose (seems unlikely they put it there 'just because'), I went ahead and opened a ticket at Silicon Dust and gave them some channel scanning logs, and within 90 minutes they determined what the issue is. When searching for HDHR issues there are an alarming number of hits and requests for help. How much frustration and time could have been saved if this was properly fixed once and for all a long long ago at the first occurance?

I received an email from SiliconDust and confirmed with them that we now natively support clear QAM.  They will make changes.

Gee, SD moved pretty quick. Glad to see that MC rates on their radar. I'm surprised that this one didn't get sorted through some time ago but it just shows that the right feedback has to go to the outfit who can actually do the fix. Good stuff.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up