INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to get multiple files under one folder?  (Read 2749 times)

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
how to get multiple files under one folder?
« on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:53 pm »

it is tom and jerry 161 episode collection....but yeah, they show up as seperate movies. annoying. also, does anyone have a really great naming/categorization/tagging/workflow etc scheme to keep my video library neat and well organized?

audio is fine. but video isn't working.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: how to get multiple files under one folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:20 pm »

Check the tags.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:38:00 pm »

Specifically, set the Series to "Tom and Jerry", and appropriately set the Season number for each episode.  Be sure the Media Sub Type is TV Show.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:07:45 am »

this is odd. i went in using mp3 tag, and removed all the numbers at the beginning of every tag category (ie changed *023 The Three Mousketeers* to just *The Three Mousketeers* (the number was preventing the "get movie and tv info" option from pulling the correct info off TVDB or whatever..with it removed it pulls the info just fine)

the problem is...even though ive gone in and not only removed all *TAG* references containing those numbers, but manually edited the file name(removing the numbers there too) ... MC still shows those numbers being there in the tag panel(forcing me to manually go in and remove them on the tag panel before sending a query to get info)

ive also deleted the .xml files and rescanned after the fact. files still showing up as having those damned numbers.

ideas?

MrC

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:20:42 am »

Just set the tag in MC and do the lookup.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »

the problem IS JRiver.

It isn't recognizing the file name change or the tag change.

that is unusual.

why would , even after removing the tags, changing the filenames, and deleting the xml file, JRiver continue to call those files the wrong thing?

MrC

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 06:32:34 pm »

I don't know exactly what your procedure is, so its best to narrow the scope.

In MC only, are you saying you change some tag, say Series, and it gets changed back?  If so, you have a file permissions issue.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 01:04:27 am »

ok...so when I do backups, and tranfsfer them to the library , I normally go in MC and tag , and have the "get movie info" command pick up the metadata automatically

the problem is. with this particular set, comprised of 161 episodes, well they all had tags "007-"episode name"

I cannot do a mass tag in this instance...lets say for example, as in metamorphose(app) , I could do a search for "regular expression" and eliminate all numbers 0-9 from the file name.  it removed them all in one fell swoop.  in mp3 tag there is a similar function "convert filename to tag" ,I use placeholders to separate the tag values , using the *dummy* category for any string I do not want to retain.. so to remove all the tags from tom and jerry I did this. "007 - two mousketeers.mp4"  became "&dummy& - &title&.&codec&" . the &dummy& field left the numbers out.  so all that was left in the tag was "two mousketeers.mp4"

that did not translate to jriver, even though the file name had been changed(leaving out the numbers) and the tag had been changed (&dummy&-ing out the numbers) .. so i have to go in *each* episode and click the tag panel, go to the name , and highlight/delete the number field.  it is incredibly time consuming. tvdb wont pickup *007- the two mousketeers* but they WILL pickup *the two mousketeers*

MrC

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 01:46:26 am »

I'll say it again.  You can do all this replacement or trimming, or whatever, in MC directly.  You seem to be making this harder than it is, partly because you're wanting to work outside of MC, and partly because you're not asking simple How Do I questions.

If you would state the exact problem you have and as a simple How Do I type of question, you'll get better help.

You seem to be focusing on Filename.  You can use that to derive tags (manually or automatically upon import).  While filename is useful for helping auto-import or pulling properties from the filename, it doesn't have much value after that.

So it seems to me your problem and question is something like:

- I have all these video files named something like ### - Series Name,
   - How Do I remove the leading "### - " from the filename and use that to derive and set a good Series tag value?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 03:20:33 am »

Don't let MrC's sweet baby cheeks fool you, he's been around a fair old while so he know what he's talking about.

this is odd. i went in using mp3 tag, and removed all the numbers at the beginning of every tag category (ie changed *023 The Three Mousketeers* to just *The Three Mousketeers* (the number was preventing the "get movie and tv info" option from pulling the correct info off TVDB or whatever..with it removed it pulls the info just fine)

the problem is...even though ive gone in and not only removed all *TAG* references containing those numbers, but manually edited the file name(removing the numbers there too) ... MC still shows those numbers being there in the tag panel(forcing me to manually go in and remove them on the tag panel before sending a query to get info)

ive also deleted the .xml files and rescanned after the fact. files still showing up as having those damned numbers.

ideas?

When you apply the "Get Movie & TV Info" function for (in this case) Tom & Jerry, this is where MC is going to for meta-data:
http://thetvdb.com/?tab=seasonall&id=72860&lid=26
Within MC's tagging function check that you've got the correct entries in the following fields:
Series = "Tom & Jerry" (match theTVdb series name exactly)

Taking one of the episodes as an example in the pic you posted, let's pick "Yankee Doodle Mouse". So, these fields also need to match the theTVdb data:
Season = 1940
Episode = 11
Media Sub Type = TV Show
All the above is doing is spelling out MrC's previous advice.

If the file name matches the season, series and episode data then the function "Fill properties from filename" is a great tool:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Tools

If some or all of the key data has been lost from the filename or the tags, then you're up for a manual data entry exercise (as far as I know). MC needs a quality reference point, somewhere, to begin with.

This information can also be found via a long handed approach by referring to:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Shows_-_Series,_Seasons_%26_Episodes

Hopefully this provides clarity and not more confusion. All the best with working this out and the next challenge(s) that arise..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

spiggytopes

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:15:02 am »

This has inspired me to tag the very same series just now - took about 5 minutes once I got the hang of it.

Fantastic.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:29 am »

cool. yes, I did forego asking "how do I remove the leading numbers from filenames" because in fact, I had removed them already.  I have tagged them now, but the question remains.  why did JRiver ignore not one but two removal attempts from two *different* , well respected programs(at least in mp3tags, case. it is somewhat of a standard you see.) ?

I can open up the files in any other program(vlc, pot player, wmc) and get the proper info, but jriver insists on stasis wrt file status(ie keeping files titled as they were before the change) , even though I deleted the XML files, etc?

so now its just a nagging question.

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 07:34:51 am »

You seem to be focusing on Filename.

im focusing on both the file *NAME* and the file *TAG* (in this case the file name is also the name of the episode)

so. ive already mass tagged the SERIES *tom and jerry* .  with the combination of *that* info and the *tagged episode name* (again, the episode name (tag) is identical to the name of the file).  the "get tv and movie info" function can pull the TVDB data).  but because MC sees it fit to ignore BOTH THE CHANGED TAGS  and the FILE NAME CHANGE , and insists on using leading numbers (though all such data has been scrubbed time and time again) , I have to go in INDIVIDUALLY , remove the leading numbers 1 by 1, and auto-pull the TVDB info. thats 161 episodes.  that is a PITA. that is dumb.

so the proper query is more like

"Ive changed file tags with well respected, widely used tagging applications, (why do I use these tagging apps, MC, you ask? well, MC has no ability *that ive seen* to search for (and remove or replace)a particular regular expression set (0-9 and such) , nor does it have the ability to move in , say....3 positions from position X to the *right* and delete/replace those characters with XYZ...) but MC does not recognize the efforts of these applications, and insists upon using whatever tags it deems necessary. this persists after scrubbing and re-tagging, re-naming, re-importing, and a host of other PITA things. Other media software recognizes the new tags immediately. MC does not.  Stop breaking my heart MC, you were nearly a perfect 10 rating gal. with this stunt, youve become the type of girl that ill mess around with, but wont take around the parents.  Get it together now, you can do it.

see attached

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 08:10:20 am »

This has inspired me to tag the very same series just now - took about 5 minutes once I got the hang of it.

Fantastic.

Coolio. Glad to hear it. Too easy once you've got the inside scoop..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 08:10:47 am »

"Ive changed file tags with well respected, widely used tagging applications, (why do I use these tagging apps, MC, you ask? well, MC has no ability *that ive seen* to search for (and remove or replace)a particular regular expression set (0-9 and such) , nor does it have the ability to move in , say....3 positions from position X to the *right* and delete/replace those characters with XYZ...) but MC does not recognize the efforts of these applications, and insists upon using whatever tags it deems necessary. this persists after scrubbing and re-tagging, re-naming, re-importing, and a host of other PITA things. Other media software recognizes the new tags immediately. MC does not.  Stop breaking my heart MC, you were nearly a perfect 10 rating gal. with this stunt, youve become the type of girl that ill mess around with, but wont take around the parents.  Get it together now, you can do it.
Media Center supports Regex

But you probably don't even need that. Just use the "Fill properties from filename…" tool.

MrC

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:50 pm »

so the proper query is more like

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you've asked only a single question in that paragraph, having nothing to do with what your real question is ("why do I use these tagging apps, MC, you ask?").  Most of what you're calling a query is a retelling of the story, incorrect statements and assumptions, pleading, and admonishments.

I say this to help you help yourself, as you're confounding your own goals at getting help.  Here are better examples of how to ask direct, simple questions:

- How Do I remove the leading "### - " from the filename and use that to derive and set a good Series tag value?
   - Does MC have regular expressions?
   - Can I grab this portion XYZ from my Filename field and place it in some tag?

It is also important to show actual evidence and procedure, rather than your interpretations.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 01:36:36 pm »

Pedantry has its place. 

theoctavist

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 09:42:06 am »

I don't mean to be pedantic, but you've asked only a single question in that paragraph, having nothing to do with what your real question is ("why do I use these tagging apps, MC, you ask?").  Most of what you're calling a query is a retelling of the story, incorrect statements and assumptions, pleading, and admonishments.

I say this to help you help yourself, as you're confounding your own goals at getting help.  Here are better examples of how to ask direct, simple questions:

- Does MC have regular expressions?
   - Can I grab this portion XYZ from my Filename field and place it in some tag?

It is also important to show actual evidence and procedure, rather than your interpretations.
;D
I have zero problem with your pedantry, your writing style,  I don't even have an issue with you typing an admonishing paragraph of your own to give syntax/morphology guidance and counteract my failure to be direct ...and of course I can always use a refresher in sentence structure!. Second grade was so long ago.  Time sure flies. (although , (and this may be just me).I am having considerable trouble finding any relevant information re my actual MC "query". I looked through the entire *paragraph* and found no pertinent information..) .   Your elegant verbal dissection of my "query" into its component parts, and repackaging of same into a Catechism masterwork indicates to me that you understood the question very well.  If you *did* understand the "query" , and had some idea of how to arrive at a resolution, but chose instead to dispense english/composition advice, well you'd be confounding your own goal to be helpful. and thats why you responded above right, to help.  ? Of course you did.

if you understood the question and did not know the answer, a simple "I do not know" would suffice.   Maybe no reply at all.  Lets be honest for a second.   Was what you typed of any practical value?  Since you offered me an english comp lesson, I will return the favor.   Answering the question=ok
saying I dont know= ok.

forgoing both , opting instead to correct sentence structure and/or terminology....is not only a waste of time(mine and yours) but is *also* a terrible breech of etiquette.   A very  passive-aggressive thing to do.
combining your "sentence rewrite" with your tactical insertion of italics and the obnoxious "im going to say this again"  ...all those gestures practically BEG for confrontation. ..and given that my fighting energy for years to come was expended on actual deployments....being wrapped up in internet nonsense rates pretty low on my scale of "care".

I was a grunt from 2001-2009, overseas for both OIF and OEF. i prefer my catty-ness unfiltered. No pretense of "im doing this to help you"

so yeah,  lets be respectful.  My personal litmus test: If I wouldn't say it in the person's presence...not gonna say it online either.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:20:29 am »

;D
I have zero problem with your pedantry, your writing style,  I don't even have an issue with you typing an admonishing paragraph of your own to give syntax/morphology guidance and counteract my failure to be direct ...and of course I can always use a refresher in sentence structure!. Second grade was so long ago.
[ on and on ]

Long, nasty rant. 

so yeah,  lets be respectful.  My personal litmus test: If I wouldn't say it in the person's presence...not gonna say it online either.

You might consider following your own advice.  MrC is a long time user of MC as I am.  He has helped many, many people with good detailed advice.  He has been patient in working through problems with difficult people.  More patient than I sometimes am.  I think that most people who provide help on this forum would react to your behavior as he did.

You didn't understand how MC works.  Instead of asking practical questions like "How do I ...", you complained that MC doesn't work (the way that you expect it to.)  When you got good explanations and good advice, you seemed to prefer arguing to learning anything new.

---- ---
One additional thought on the problem that you had:  When you import files, MC takes information from tags, sidecar files and file names and records them in its database.  From that point on, MC is using the information in its database rather than going back to the tags in the file.  It only updates its databse from the information in the files under specific circumstances.

When you make changes to tags, etc. , you should tell MC to update its database. In MC, select the files you changed, right-click and choose "Library Tools" from the context menu and then choose "Update Library (from tags)" from the sub-menu.  (Another user, 6233638, gave you similar information.)

As other people have said, it is easier to edit within MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 02:04:42 pm »

octavist,
Please start another thread with your question alone.  Don't add unnecessary chatter, and don't make personal remarks.

I was a grunt from 2001-2009, overseas for both OIF and OEF.

Thank you for your service.

Locking this now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up