INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP functions for DLNA  (Read 3281 times)

v_erich

• World Citizen
DSP functions for DLNA
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:09:35 am »

Hello,

I bought JRiver 19 because I need DSP function via DLNA.
This was mentioned as a feature which will be implemented in JRiver 19.
When will this be implemented?

BR
Erich

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP funtions for DLNA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:39:46 pm »

This would be a great feature to have, wouldn't it? JRiver's lead programmer, Matt, was looking into this. Then this happened:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86462.0

We all hope that he will make a full recovery and come back to this community. For now, though, it might be best to not hold your breath, and cut MC development a little slack.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:01 pm »

Oh, thats sad.  :o

But I hope someone can do his work, because in my eyes it doesn't look like that in near future he can restart working on the product.
I do not know him or anyone of the company. I payed for JR 19 because I like some promised features. That was the reason to buy their new product.
Now I see that this maybe will not happen.
If that feature is not coming, I could had sticked to RJ18, because no "great" new features in JRiver for me/my usage until now.
I bought JR17/18/19/Linux, so I like this software but promised features should come, also in difficult times.
At my work the customer is also not interested in internal problems, how sadly they are.

Hope JRiver can handle this hard time!

BR
Erich

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »

Oh, thats sad.  :o

But I hope someone can do his work, because in my eyes it doesn't look like that in near future he can restart working on the product.
I do not know him or anyone of the company. I payed for JR 19 because I like some promised features. That was the reason to buy their new product.
Now I see that this maybe will not happen.
If that feature is not coming, I could had sticked to RJ18, because no "great" new features in JRiver for me/my usage until now.
I bought JR17/18/19/Linux, so I like this software but promised features should come, also in difficult times.
At my work the customer is also not interested in internal problems, how sadly they are.

Hope JRiver can handle this hard time!

BR
Erich

Since Matt's accident, plenty of new versions of MC, with new features have been released by the rest of the crew, including Hendrik, who is a relatively new recruit to JRiver. True the new releases are at a slower pace than usual, but there's no evidence to suggest that progress has ceased.
I'd be interested to see where this particular function was promised, and to see what else we can expect down the road. Do you recall where you saw this?

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:37 pm »

I have been an avid user of MC since v. 15 and must give a back pad to the team,  its a great product which keeps getting better. 

The developers always strive for the best components and features,  suppport on the interact is very good.

As for erich's second post,  I must ask where is the dislike button when one wants it.  Thumb down.   

Aparently he "is very sorry",  but he paid good money, $50.  He wants every $5,000 of it,  and he wants it now.  C'mon

ALSO  "paid"  is misspelled.  Life is ironic.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:09 pm »

To be fair, v_erich's first language may or may not be English, and as such we have to be careful when assigning intent/emotion to the written words. He does have a point in that in the harsh world of business, the customer is usually intolerant of excuses.
However, JRiver doesn't feel like a typical business to many like me, who think of it more as a bunch of really nice people who love what they do, and listen to their customers to keep improving a world class product. Of course we want them to survive and thrive, but I have never felt that this will be at the cost of screwing their customer over. Not everyone will feel this way, of course. To those, I can assure them that JRiver is continuing to progress as fast as it can. It's not going backwards, nor is it standing still.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 02:13:14 am »

FYI - there are some DSP features used:

The only DSP functions available in DLNA are volume leveling, stereo downmix and sample rate selection. They are under the advanced audio options in the DLNA server configuration.

and then...

There are currently no plans to implement full DSP in DLNA.

and from Matt

When playing using DLNA, the settings in Options > Audio are not used.  This is because the DLNA renderer is the thing doing output, and it's out of our control how it does that output.

We hope to make this more clear in the program in the future.  Sorry it's a little confusing right now.
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:23:53 am »

..and finally

DLNA already supports audio and video transcoding.  We've done a lot of work on it to support a wide array of formats.

Look in Options > Media Network > Add or configure servers...

I'd like to add full DSP Studio support for DLNA to MC19, but there are some usability / complexity concerns, so I'm not sure if it'll happen.
JRiver CEO Elect

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 04:04:42 am »

Hi,

my motherlanguage is german.
Payed is on a english to german conversion website I always use the same al paid:
http://www.dict.cc/englisch-deutsch/paid.html
http://www.dict.cc/?s=payed

The problem with JRiver is also, that you have to pay a new version and the features are coming over time (or are not coming...).
So you have to pay and then you see what you will get months later.
So you can buy only an old version, there you see what you get :-(
This I do not like, but thats the way JRiver is doing their development.
In my work (I am an electronic engineer in video development) there are the features discussed and fixed, then the development starts and more or less everything must be solved in the definded time schedule.

The features definded for a new version I cannot find today in the forum, so this is the same problem as described - see what you get.
In my mind I read that in v19 DSP functions will be integrated in the DLNA function.
If this was a "lets see", or "we try" or "maybe", this I cannot remember and if this is the case, I am not amused.
I have to work for my money - I know JRiver is not expensive but I do not want to give a "donation" and see what I get over time.

Also I bought PC and audio hardware with an idea in my mind what I want to do with this and there the DSP function over DLNA was a fixed scenario in the end, so my plan is not working in that way I thought it will work.
This is also my money (and much more than the amount I payed/paid to JRiver).

In the last versions this year 2014 I count only 5 "new" points (which are small points I think), the rest are bugfixes/changes.
So there is in my point of view not much new stuff implemented in more than 3 months.

Hope you understand my viewpoint, this is business not private project under friends, or donateware or something else.

BR
Erich

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
Re: DSP functions for DLNA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 06:51:35 am »

The Whitebear says "be coool"...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 07:27:19 am »

I'm sorry you're disappointed.  We've also ported to Linux, which should make it easier for JRiver to enter the hardware market.

I don't remember any promise about DSP for DLNA use.

Here's the list of features in MC19:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81980.0

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 02:41:02 pm »

I'm sorry you're disappointed.  We've also ported to Linux, which should make it easier for JRiver to enter the hardware market.

I don't remember any promise about DSP for DLNA use.

Here's the list of features in MC19:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81980.0

That's the list I'm familiar with too, Jim. I know Matt did talk about investigating DSP over DLNA, but there were no promises. And I checked but there doesn't seem to be mention of this on the public boards.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 02:56:00 pm »

I seem to recall it being mentioned as something you hoped to implement in MC19 as well.

However, I would add that you should never buy anything based on a proposed feature. Maybe it won't make it in, or maybe the implementation won't be to your liking.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:24:19 am »

Hi,
the lesson learned for me is, that I will not buy a new JRiver version in the beginning of the development when there is no real must-have feature  and they say it will fix be in the major release.
Atherwise I like JRiver much, but this way of working is good for JRiver but not for me as a customer.

BR
Erich

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:13:41 am »

...  and they say it will fix be in the major release.
Can you provide a link to the post that gave you the wrong impression?

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 07:12:18 am »

Hi,

no because I did not find this anymore.
Searched for it but in the beginning of the development of version 19 there were a lot of threads, after a few days or so they were copied into one big list, after that I did not track that regulary.
Maybe it was only a discussion about this feature, to long ago to remember.
Fact is that I thought it will be implemented, therefore I bought the update from 18.

It is not a big deal, as some say JRiver is not expensive, but the way this information is given is unusual in business and for me not the clearest way what you will get from a new version in the future.

So the feature DSP functions via DLNA will never be implemented in JRiver?
This is the information I need to plan my future hardware (have to change current solution).

BR
Erich

jmczen

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:13 am »

Hi Matt,

Glad that you are back and well. Any thoughts about dsp functions for DLNA? Do remember a post in June 2013 where you mentioned that this is an often requested feature.

Thks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 01:13:11 pm »

Glad that you are back and well. Any thoughts about dsp functions for DLNA? Do remember a post in June 2013 where you mentioned that this is an often requested feature.

We're still thinking about it.  No firm plans, but it's a possibility.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up