INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting up tags for auto import fails  (Read 3159 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
setting up tags for auto import fails
« on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

So, I tried setting this up today, for one subfolder, but it doesn't 'stick'

I have my general video folder (V:) included in the import, and have it set to include subfolders also, as there are many, and I want most of them included.  I have a few specifically excluded from the video folder, and this has worked fine for years.

I tried to add a specific folder to the list (V:\Racing\Formula 1), and set it to populate Genre, Series, Season, and it all seems to be fine, then I save it.  When I go back to the settings, this folder, and it's tags are just gone.  I've set it up 3 separate times now, and all 3 times, it disappears.

Is this because I've got the V: drive with subfolders already listed?

What am I doing wrong?
pretend this is something funny

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
Re: setting up tags for auto import fails
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 07:39:49 pm »

Tried again today, but it will not save v:/Racing with any tags to automatically apply.  How is this supposed to work?

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:26:13 am »

Do you have the "Skip for files that already have a value in this field" option enabled?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 11:40:44 am »

No, I'm not setting that option, but it's not even getting that far.  it won't even save the folder in the settings.

I've attached screenshots of the folder/setting I'm trying to add, then the shot of that folder being added to the list, then I will hit Finish, then immediately hit ...configure auto-import... and the folder I just entered is gone again.  I just can't get it to even save.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »

Either:

1. You are somehow trying to do this from a Library client (it is normally blocked in the UI, but you could launch it with automation commands).
2. Your Library is opened read-only.
3. Your Library files are read-only.
4. Your registry permissions are borked.
5. Your Library has an incorrect GUID.

#4 or 5 is what it sounds like the most, assuming you haven't done some trickery to try to edit this from a client.  Did you do any registry restoring weirdness trying to copy settings over from another installation?  Or any other edits to the Registry manually (or, shudder, using a Registry Cleaner)?  How about copying around the Library files themselves via Windows explorer (or trying to "restore" them manually)?

How to Modify Registry permissions:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728310%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-take-full-control-of-windows-7-registry-keys

MC's Settings are saved here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19

The currently logged in user needs to have full control over that key, and all of its subkeys in the Registry.  You can reset Registry key permissions much like you can File permissions in Windows.

In particular, the per-Library Auto-Import settings are saved here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19\Library Specific\{LIBRARY GUID}\Import\Watch Folders

One other thing that could have happened is if you copied your Library files (the database files, not Media files) over from another PC or Library directly instead of using MC's Library backup/restore system.  This is a Very Bad Idea.  It causes the GUID of the Library to not match the loaded Registry setting.  That will result in your settings being saved, but to the Registry with the wrong GUID, which means MC can't use them.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:33 pm »

Hmmm...

1. You are somehow trying to do this from a Library client - I'm not logged in as a client to a Library Server, it's connected to a library on my local machine. (see first attachment)
2. Your Library is opened read-only - I can't see any reason it would be opened read only; I doubt this is it.
3. Your Library files are read-only - I don't know how this could be either, nor am i sure how to test other than what I tried (see below)
4. Your registry permissions are borked - I don't recall trying to do anything 'funny' with the registry.  How to cofirm?
5. Your Library has an incorrect GUID - Probably the most likely cause.  I've backed up and restored the library several times, but always with the MC system, never outside of MC.

The only 'registry cleaner' I've ever used is CCleaner, which I don't think qualifies.

My registry settings are actually here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 19 (J period space River instead of the new JRiver).  There are lots of sub-settings here, I'm not sure what I might need to look for.

As for the Import settings, there are 8 settings under "Library Specific", but only one has a subfolder with Import and Watch Folder under it.  There are 24 "Watch ##" settings under this folder.

Finally, as another quick test, I just added another folder to my auto-import settings, saved, and came back and checked, and it's still there.  It was a base network folder.  The problem I'm having is when I try to add a subfolder under a base network folder.  This doesn't save.

i.e.  I can add Y:\ and it saves just fine, but if I try to add V:\Racing (I already have v:\ by itself), it just doesn't save.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »

(I already have v:\ by itself)

That's why.  You can't do that.

You have to add your rules to v:\ then.  Here's how:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68462.10

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:18 pm »

That's why.  You can't do that.

You have to add your rules to v:\ then.  Here's how:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68462.10

Hmmm...

That seems like a LOT of work to work around this limitation.

I need to either setup all my subfolders under V to have their own import line (and settings), or I have to figure out how to write complex regex expressions to affect only this one folder.  I can probably do either of these, especially with your very thorough guide, but that just seems 'mean' to force me to do either of these things, which require lots of extra steps - and remembering in the future to add any new folders to the list - and also repeating this work on all machines that might auto import any files.

If the folder list dialog box would just allow me to re-organize the items, then act in order on this list, I could put the v:\racing before v:\ and get what I want on the one folder, then get nothing on the rest of the V:\ folder.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be changed for me, so I guess I'll spend the time to (re)learn how to write the regex rules, or maybe just break up all my subfolders so i can effect the only one that currently interests me.

I'm not going to have the time for this for the forseeable future, but, such is life :(

Thanks again for the help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »

I need to either setup all my subfolders under V to have their own import line (and settings), or I have to figure out how to write complex regex expressions to affect only this one folder.

Crimeny, it isn't that hard.  And, it is much more flexible this way.

If you want all files in the "v:\Racing\" folder to be tagged [Genre] = Racing then:

Field: Genre
Value: If(IsEqual([Filename],\Racing\,8),Racing,[Genre])

Then, if you wanted those in the subfolder "v:\Racing\Formula 1\" to have [Series] = "Formula 1", you do:

Field: Series
Value: If(IsEqual([Filename],\Racing\Formula 1\,8),Formula 1,[Series])

Copy. Paste. Tweak for your specific paths and required tags. Done.

It is better this way, even if it could work the other way, because then one rule can cover all of the "Racing" genre, while still allowing you to subcategorize other subfolders.  You can build rules on top of rules.  So, as a simple example, you could put one further down that tags anything with [Genre] containing "Racing" as a TV Show (or whatever Media Sub Type you want), you can react to the "results" of the rules further up in the list, with items further down in the list.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:17 pm »

Thank you.  No, it isn't that hard, for you, with experience.  I'm sure I could have figured it out also, with time, and a bit of trial and error.

However, what about when I want to apply tags to different series, and files with different genres, located in different sub-folders, with different media subtypes, etc; all somewhere further down in the V:\ drive?  I'm going to have to figure out the rules for all of those different scenarios, then try to put them into one, long, run on expression, or split them up into separate expressions (if possible?), or enter different folders into the list, each with their own expressions.

I'm not complaining, I can eventually figure it out.  However, in the interest of the 'general public'; really?!?!?!  That's what Tom-down-the-block needs to do also?  Never gonna happen.

Point being, this isn't easy enough for most people.  I don't know that JRiver needs/wants/expects it to be easy for Tom Smith, but in case that is of interest, we're not there yet.

The lack of a meaningful error message, or any input at all from Media Center when I tried to add a subfolder with rules under a main folder with no rules, and the wiki doesn't mention this limitation, just makes for a less-than-ideal scenario here.

Again, not complaining, and I REALLY do appreciate your help/feedback.  I'm just trying to point out that this cold be a bit more 'user friendly', if that's important :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:27:12 pm »

However, what about when I want to apply tags to different series, and files with different genres, located in different sub-folders, with different media subtypes, etc; all somewhere further down in the V:\ drive?  I'm going to have to figure out the rules for all of those different scenarios, then try to put them into one, long, run on expression, or split them up into separate expressions (if possible?), or enter different folders into the list, each with their own expressions.

This doesn't make any sense, and is a bit of hand waving.  Along the lines of: But what if I want to build Skynet with it and I can't?

I don't know, and I can't predict that "what if the future" scenario that is so vaguely defined.  The system isn't perfect, but it is what we have, and it is pretty darn flexible and powerful.  But, to answer your question... Yes, break it down into the smallest possible parts, wherever you can.  Use many "little expressions" whenever possible, and avoid trying to build the One Great Expression to Rule Them All.  That's not how the system is designed.  And, of course, your file hierarchy can be structured such to make it more usable.  It isn't like that input is (typically, anyway) completely rigid and set in stone.

But... That's neither here nor there.  You didn't actually describe anything concrete that you want to do.  I answered the example you gave, and it isn't that complicated.  If you need more specifics, provide more specifics, not "what about when I want to apply tags to different series, and files with different genres" etc.  What files? What Genres? What structure?  Why does it need to be ongoing, rather than done once and completed?

If the file name is predictable, or the location is predictable, or you can predict how MC will treat the file automatically when it comes in (which you should use to your full advantage), then there is very little the current system can't do.  It cannot handle every task equally well, granted, but it is certainly usable, and I'm happy to help if you read and ask pointed questions.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »

The lack of a meaningful error message, or any input at all from Media Center when I tried to add a subfolder with rules under a main folder with no rules, and the wiki doesn't mention this limitation, just makes for a less-than-ideal scenario here.

It optimizes them away.  It makes sense, of course, because the second search would never trigger.  The v:\ search is recursive.  So, it includes v:\Racing\ and all other subdirectories of v:\.  If you did add that rule, it wouldn't trigger, because by the time MC saw the rule, there would be no new files to import (assuming it was checked afterwards).

And, I suspect, that changing this would cause performance problems for importing.  Though, I don't know.  In any case, adding a bunch of already-watched, watched folders and specifying tags manually isn't very flexible at all (and doesn't allow for things with as "fuzzy" of searches as you can do now).

I agree showing some kind of error message would be preferable to just erasing the rule.  I didn't realize it did that, and it shouldn't, but that answers why it is doing it... Because you can't do that.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:43:48 pm »

Okay.  I wasn't asking for specific help with my future needs, so I wasn't specific, sorry.  I'm not sure about building skynet, but I do have files that need different Media Sub Types, Genres & Series in about 10 different subfolders, so it wasn't just a what if scenario, all of those things are things I'm going to have to write rules for, which is why I've not really bothered until now ;)

I was more just trying to point out that yeah (like much/most of MC), it's really powerful, but much/most of that power is only available to 'computer geeks' who know how to manipulate the expressions to get the most out of it.  I've certainly been around long enough to know why this is, and know that it's not likely, nor easy to change.

I'm not saying I know of an easier way, necessarily, just that it's NOT 'not that hard' for 'normal people'.

With all that said, I'm working on trying to tweak the examples you've provided to get my current example/situation to do what I want, then I'll try to adjust those rules to do even more, with different files.  I'll ask for help as I go, if I still need it.

Sadly, my library got all messed up, I have no idea how, and most/all of my files are showing as files with 'unknown' file types, so I'm running auto-import now to see if it will bring in the actual files and eliminate the unknown files, and that's taken almost 2 hours so far :(

Again, I really to appreciate you taking the time to help me and provide specific examples for my situation.  Thank you!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:49 pm »

It optimizes them away.  It makes sense, of course, because the second search would never trigger.  The v:\ search is recursive.  So, it includes v:\Racing\ and all other subdirectories of v:\.  If you did add that rule, it wouldn't trigger, because by the time MC saw the rule, there would be no new files to import (assuming it was checked afterwards).

And, I suspect, that changing this would cause performance problems for importing.  Though, I don't know.  In any case, adding a bunch of already-watched, watched folders and specifying tags manually isn't very flexible at all (and doesn't allow for things with as "fuzzy" of searches as you can do now).

I agree showing some kind of error message would be preferable to just erasing the rule.  I didn't realize it did that, and it shouldn't, but that answers why it is doing it... Because you can't do that.

I mostly agree, which is why I suggested that perhaps allowing us to re-order the folder list would get them to trigger in a different order, so my v:\racing folder/rules would get acted upon before the v:\ rule, if I was allowed to move it above the V:\ rule.

But, again, I understand this a bit better now, and will work within the current framework to try to get where I want to be.

thanks again.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 12:32:43 am »

Have you considered using FileFolder()?

You could use something like:

Series: FileFolder(,0)
Genre: FileFolder(,1)

If your path is V:\Racing\Formula 1\
This assumes that everything follows a standard folder structure though.

It also seems like it would be useful to have some version of FileFolder that moved from left-to-right, rather than just right-to-left in some instances.

One thing I might suggest is that it could be quicker to simply tag all your videos manually now, and sort out your folder structure/automatic tagging for new imports, so that you don't need to devise convoluted rules which are not going to be necessary after your current files are imported.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 04:34:38 pm »

Tried again today, but it will not save v:/Racing with any tags to automatically apply.  How is this supposed to work?

Maybe V:/ should be V:\ ?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 05:09:04 pm »

no, it was an issue related to how auto import rules work.  Glynor spelled it out in this post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up