INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning CD/DVD from MC Playlist  (Read 1142 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Burning CD/DVD from MC Playlist
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:44:33 am »

Have learned that path/filenames for music server files need to be less than 180 characters to avoid problems with backup to external drives such as WD Passport.

However, just tried to burn a copy of a Playlist using the MC "Burn a CD/DVD" option and app indicated that 2 of the 30 or so selections in the Playlist exceeded the 100+/- character limit.  The popup indicates that the filenames will be "truncated" to not exceed the limit.  I assumed that this truncation was not literal but could not find the two guilty tracks in the subsequent burn so MC file editing may have compromised the recognizibility of the track on the DVD.

Is there some way to avoid this issue in using the Burn CD/DVD option in MC?  It would be nice to not have to edit (overly) long path/filenames to accommodate this function particularly since many path/filenames come close to, if not exceed, the 100 character MC limit.

Thanks.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Burning CD/DVD from MC Playlist
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:26 am »

Would love to get a resolution to my playlist problem.

Can anyone assist?

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:49 am »

If the track names are too long, you could shorten them using Library Tools > Rename, Move, Copy Files...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:14:40 am »

If the track names are too long, you could shorten them using Library Tools > Rename, Move, Copy Files...

Thanks, Matt.

Yes, that is true and I have done that but MC only advises which tracks have exceeded the 100+/- characters limit once it has committed to the burning process (rather than possibly warning beforehand).  MC DOES give an advisory that the path/filenames will be shortened prior to finalizing the disc (and approval to do so is requested to proceed) but apparently they are truncated, etc., (thereby losing the *.ext) since my experience suggests that the tracks do not appear in a disc contents list.  It should be noted that MC does not seem to have an issue finding or playing tracks with these long(er) file names.  The issue only seems to occur when burning them.

Secondly, in many cases I am already shortening the file path/filenames to accommodate creating a backup copy of my music library folders to an external drive where I have found that some albums, particularly classical, can exceed the limit (which I believe is 180 characters for Explorer).  Here too the advisory is given once the copy process has (almost) been completed and the oversized files must be SKIPped to allow completion and necessitating editing before a complete backup including these skipped files can be accomplished.
Pages: [1]   Go Up