INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping compilation disc's not working  (Read 1196 times)

Dunkinidaho

• Recent member
Ripping compilation disc's not working
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »

I have burned many compilation disc's over the years. The disc's were CD-R's and the burner was a Sony CD-R W33 studio cd burner/player. Now when I attempt to rip these into JRiver they don't go. I'm using flac format. Any ideas, anyone run into this in the past.

thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Ripping compilation disc's not working
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:46:53 pm »

can you please offer more information

"they don't go" doesn't give much to help with.  what is the problem with the ripping?  it won't make the FLAC files?

Dunkinidaho

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »

can you please offer more information

"they don't go" doesn't give much to help with.  what is the problem with the ripping?  it won't make the FLAC files?

Thanks 4 the reply. I was able to correct the refusal to rip issue but have discovered another problem when ripping burned disc's. The disc now rips without difficulty however random tracks are assigned their own album statis. In other words a disc with say 12 tracks ends up as 3-5 individual albums. Some will have one track, some multiple tracks. I'm not aware of a fix for this but I'm sure others have encountered the same problem.  I would think others have ripped their compilation disc's to JRiver.

Brian

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:37 pm »

The discs are compilation discs you made yourself, correct? You made them from several different CD Albums, correct?

If both the above are true, MC is correctly ripping the tracks and identifying the source albums they come from, I would suspect. The source album name is probably imbedded in the tracks as tags. (Unless you asked MC to look up track information in the online database.)

If you wish to show the tracks from your homemade compilations as albums themselves, you will need to make up your own album name, for example "My Compilation Number 17", or anything else you may wish to call it, and then do some tag editing.

Did you rip each of your compilation CDs into their own directory? If so, use the MC Standard View and drill down to the location of your CD rips, using Audio -> Files -> [your hard drive] -> [your directory structure] until you are displaying directory that the ripped tracks are sitting in, then select "All Locations" so that MC displays all the album tracks that it knows about in this directory.

You will be able to see in that view the Track Name, Artist, Album, etc. Edit the Album tag for each track to your new compilation album name.

Done? Go back and view Audio -> Albums and find your compilation album in there, with all its tracks together, as you planned.

PS: I am no expert in this area, but this is what I would be doing. You may want to search the forum for discussion about "compilation albums", with or without the quote marks. You will find lots of discussion about them, although lots will be about commercial compilations rather than homemade ones.

Enjoy the flexibility of JRiver MC!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:43 am »

If you created data CD's when you "burned" the discs, just use explorer to copy the files back to your PC.

If you created audio CD's you should be able to rip them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up