INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audiophile DAC 24bit DNLA output with 16bit tracks  (Read 2364 times)

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
Audiophile DAC 24bit DNLA output with 16bit tracks
« on: August 21, 2014, 11:06:29 am »

Hi,
I am a little confused what is happening when I select the "Audiophile 24bit DAC" option. If the track that is being played is 16bit cd audio in flac, does this mean that the JRiver software is resampling it and giving the DAC a 24bit resolution version on the fly?

It's strange as it does seem to sound better with this option selected rather than the default DNLA option, however netiher should be changing the file that is played on the renderer surely? If I want the DAC to be doing any upconversion from 16bit work if thats what it wants to do.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Audiophile DAC 24bit DNLA output with 16bit tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:19 pm »

I can't seem to find the setting you are asking about. However, changing bitdepth from 16 bit to 24 bit isn't resampling. Read more in the wiki.

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:27 am »

Well, if I select audiophile DNLA profile, it defaults the audio output mode to PCM 24 bit. However surely if the source audio file being played is only 16bit then it should stay 16bit untouched until it hits the DAC?

I think I have found why it was sounding really bad with the 'Generic DNLA' profile. There were 2 problems, firstly it seemed to be converting to mp3 even though it was set to 'only convert if needed'. I don't know why jriver decided it would be needed to convert a flac to mp3 on a 1gbps wired connection to the renderer? Secondly the generic profile also has volume normalisation on, which really seems to make a huge difference to sound quality; even worse than the MP3. I would recommend you guys look at this option and perhaps change it as it really did sound aweful!

In any case, I have it sounding good now :) with audio output mode to 'original' so it will never convert anything. Also the volume normalization set to off. Though I'm still a bit stumped as to why your audiophile profile has the 24bit PCM conversion set? Why is this a good idea?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:04:10 am »

Secondly the generic profile also has volume normalisation on, which really seems to make a huge difference to sound quality;

Thats only a subjective thing. Louder usually sounds "better" to people, which is why they think the audio quality is being hurt, while in truth it just changes the volume, and if you increase it slightly on the DAC/Amp again, it'll sound as perfect as before - just without volume differences between tracks.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:35:52 am »

Having read the article on bit resolution that does make sense now thanks.

Though honestly, I did turn the volume knob up and it really sounded fluffy and imprecise, I'm using a musical fidelity async usb DAC with 2x Arcam amps. I recommend you guys give it a listen yourself. I would hate people to judge a DNLA setup with that option enabled. IMO it really spoils what is otherwise a beautifully executed feature :)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 05:41:15 am »

Volume changes are lossless in media center, all they do is reduce the volume, they don't mess with the audio at all otherwise.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 06:58:05 am »

Maybe files are being converted.  Check the server's setting and choose "never convert".

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:14:50 am »

Perhaps it was the combination of converting to MP3 and the volume change. Either that or I'm going mad. All good now though, with volume change off and output format original or 24bit PCM :) Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up