INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 370732 times)

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #600 on: March 29, 2015, 12:02:43 am »

Is there a way to defeat the apparently energy saving feature that puts the display to sleep after so many minutes when in GUI mode running Id as DLNA server?

Pegasus59

• Recent member
« Reply #601 on: March 29, 2015, 03:57:42 am »

Library local on the Id so it's faster to browse.
How do I set up a local library on my Id without having and music files stored on it (I use a NAS)?
I would like to import the library from my Netgear NAs (NAS-D5-EO-24: ReadyNAS 312) to speed up loading.
I have to wait several minutes for the NAS library (about 44,000 files - 1.28tb) to load before I can commence playing files on the ID.
If I try to access the library before it fully loads the Id often falls over.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #602 on: March 30, 2015, 03:33:03 am »

Is there anyway to run ID headless and get access to the menus and settings without a monitor, keyboard and mouse?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #603 on: March 30, 2015, 10:58:16 am »

Ah, I rarely use the MC interface, I think this is what you are asking about? 
Yes, thanks. I passed that info along to Hendrik. The lpcm audio is the key I think.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #604 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14:22 am »

Is there a way to defeat the apparently energy saving feature that puts the display to sleep after so many minutes when in GUI mode running Id as DLNA server?
Under options try searching for HDMI.
You'll see "disable HDMI from turning off".
enable that and see if that does what you want.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #605 on: March 30, 2015, 11:15:37 am »

How do I set up a local library on my Id without having and music files stored on it (I use a NAS)?
I would like to import the library from my Netgear NAs (NAS-D5-EO-24: ReadyNAS 312) to speed up loading.
I have to wait several minutes for the NAS library (about 44,000 files - 1.28tb) to load before I can commence playing files on the ID.
If I try to access the library before it fully loads the Id often falls over.
With the new firmware you can mount the NAS as a share instead of using it as a DLNA library.
When it's mounted as a share, MC doesn't need to load the whole library at once.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:31 am »

Is there anyway to run ID headless and get access to the menus and settings without a monitor, keyboard and mouse?
Not at this time.
You can change some of the settings through the web interface like the audio device and zone.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #607 on: March 30, 2015, 11:16:57 am »

Yes, thanks. I passed that info along to Hendrik. The lpcm audio is the key I think.

Super- I did notice it was LPCM instead of AC3 like most of the other discs. Just have to figure out how to enable subtitles and this should be a rocking setup.

Yours,
-Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #608 on: March 30, 2015, 11:21:28 am »

I was able to sync the Id as a handheld.  Most of the tracks went over no problem.  Most of the album art, and meta data went too.  I had wrongly thought you could transplant the main library over via windows.  Maybe you can, but I couldn't figure it out.  The Handheld Id Sync with the main program works, and sounds great so far.  Therefore I can use the Id as a server and renderer.  I stumbled into the sync by just trying it.  Is there a thread describing all the functions of the program.  A glossary maybe???  Many of the pull down options in the menus have a meaning, but without testing them you take a chance screwing something up. 

Thank you kindly Bob for your continued help.  I really appreciate it.  Sure more things will come up, but for now it's working.  Sincerely, emovac1 (I'm also a Bob)

Hi Bob,
Good to hear you got it working.
The Wiki is the most up to date source for information on the menu functions.
We are working on getting the Id up to the level of the windows version of MC.
The current firmware revisions make a backup of the library in the export filesystem so you should be able to recover if you mess something up without too much trouble.

Bob

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: March 30, 2015, 11:32:41 am »

I may have conceptually misunderstood what I was to use the id for, so any help would be appreciated.  Firstly, is there a way to use theater view with this thing?  I will be running the server from my other computer, and I thought I would just plug this thing into my tv so I could use theater view to browse around and stream from the server.  Is that going to possible, either now or at some point in the future?  When I ran the id in GUI mode, I didn't even see an option for theater view.  Additionally, when I try to use the iphone app to play some videos to the id, some of them worked, but some of them would not play.  I didn't get any error message, but they just kept skipping on to the next file until one of them would play.  Most of the files I'm trying to play are mkv, if that matters. 

Thanks,
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
The Id was designed primarily as a standalone audio renderer.
As we've seen demand for particular things, extra functionality has been added.
Theater view is a big project in linux, that is a goal. I can't say when it will happen.
If you want to run the Id as a completely standalone server/renderer, JRemote or Gizmo would be the best way to control it.
If you are using it with MC running on a PC, you should set the DLNA server in MC on the PC to send files in "Original Format".
The Id should play all audio that the PC version of MC can play.
Video support is very new. There are probably some formats that will play on Windows and not the Id.
When you have the DLNA server settings on MC on the PC set to "Original Format" and you find a format that doesn't work, would you please report that format's characteristics (via the "compression" field on the MC PC)?

Bob

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #610 on: March 30, 2015, 11:37:06 am »

I'm getting the id-usb kit and have a few questions:

- I want to use the id as a player that accesses the library on my main computer (with MC20).  Will I be able to do this?
- Is it better to use as a dlna renderer where my main computer pushes to the id?
- is there a difference in sound quality (i'm guessing not)?
- Is dsd via dop supported in both configurations mentioned above?

Thanks
You can use it as a MC client to your MC on the PC or as a push-to renderer from the MC on the PC. If you have the client settings on the Id set to not convert in the first case or the DLNA server settings on the MC PC set to "Original format" in the second case the sound should be identical.

If you have a DSD Dac on the Id that supports DoPE you should be able to do this either way.
We have test some DSD DoPE on the Id but not a lot. You probably should check to see if your DAC manufacturer supports this with the standard linux kernel build 3.16.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: March 30, 2015, 12:03:38 pm »

Super- I did notice it was LPCM instead of AC3 like most of the other discs. Just have to figure out how to enable subtitles and this should be a rocking setup.

Yours,
-Paul

It turns out that disc (ifo) playback isn't supported on the Id yet.

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #612 on: March 30, 2015, 12:19:00 pm »

Seriously? Aw shucks! Most of the other (ifo) files play fine, but don't present the DVD menu, or let you select episodes and so forth. Rats - well, back to figuring this one out again.

The native DVD files seem to play best, as converting them to anything iTunes can see and send to a ATV just degrades their quality.  More study (or patience) required.

Thanks -Paul

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: March 30, 2015, 01:11:26 pm »

Seriously? Aw shucks! Most of the other (ifo) files play fine, but don't present the DVD menu, or let you select episodes and so forth. Rats - well, back to figuring this one out again.

The native DVD files seem to play best, as converting them to anything iTunes can see and send to a ATV just degrades their quality.  More study (or patience) required.

Thanks -Paul
I think it's the ifo/disc structure that doesn't play.
I'd think that a mpeg2 ts with the original material in it (non-transcoded) would work.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #614 on: March 30, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

Under options try searching for HDMI.
You'll see "disable HDMI from turning off".
enable that and see if that does what you want.

I've done this and it doesn't change anything---the Id still puts the monitor to sleep.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #615 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:06 pm »

I've done this and it doesn't change anything---the Id still puts the monitor to sleep.
It should as long as something is playing.
I set it on a test machine here and will let it run overnight.

If your monitor/TV has it's own setting the Id can't control that.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #616 on: March 30, 2015, 09:36:04 pm »

Thanks for investigating. Right now I don't believe it to be due to the monitor. I don't have this issue when running MC for Windows using the same monitor.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #617 on: March 31, 2015, 10:08:00 am »

Thanks for investigating. Right now I don't believe it to be due to the monitor. I don't have this issue when running MC for Windows using the same monitor.

It worked for me overnight.
The only thing I can think of other than the monitor is that MC restarted and the previous running MC left the settings in the off state.
I'll probably add a reset of those parameters to the restart script.
A test would be to reboot it and see if it starts working again.

chromathegreat

• Recent member
« Reply #618 on: March 31, 2015, 10:46:11 am »

Hi Andrew,
The Id was designed primarily as a standalone audio renderer.
As we've seen demand for particular things, extra functionality has been added.
Theater view is a big project in linux, that is a goal. I can't say when it will happen.
If you want to run the Id as a completely standalone server/renderer, JRemote or Gizmo would be the best way to control it.
If you are using it with MC running on a PC, you should set the DLNA server in MC on the PC to send files in "Original Format".
The Id should play all audio that the PC version of MC can play.
Video support is very new. There are probably some formats that will play on Windows and not the Id.
When you have the DLNA server settings on MC on the PC set to "Original Format" and you find a format that doesn't work, would you please report that format's characteristics (via the "compression" field on the MC PC)?
Bob

Ok, that's what I was figuring.  I can use it as is right now and maybe theater view will be available in a future update?  Alternatively, if I reinstalled windows on the id, would that take care of my issue?  I probably won't, because that sort of defeats the purpose of having it preloaded, but just as a workaround, that could fix the issue, right?

Also, where should I send reports of videos that won't work?  Should I post them in this id-related thread, or is there some other thread for issues with video playback in general?

Thanks again,
Andrew

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #619 on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:02 am »

Ok, that's what I was figuring.  I can use it as is right now and maybe theater view will be available in a future update?  Alternatively, if I reinstalled windows on the id, would that take care of my issue?  I probably won't, because that sort of defeats the purpose of having it preloaded, but just as a workaround, that could fix the issue, right?

Also, where should I send reports of videos that won't work?  Should I post them in this id-related thread, or is there some other thread for issues with video playback in general?

Thanks again,
Andrew

Could you please post reports of the videos that don't work in the Linux thread?
Re-purposing the Id is up to you. I'd imagine it'd void the warranty but I know some have done this..

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #620 on: March 31, 2015, 03:09:47 pm »

I think it's the ifo/disc structure that doesn't play.
I'd think that a mpeg2 ts with the original material in it (non-transcoded) would work.

I was asking about today, and was told that ripping the DVD to an ISO file might be a solution. If JRiver MC supports ISO files, do you think this might be a better solution that ripping to VOB files?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: March 31, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »

I was asking about today, and was told that ripping the DVD to an ISO file might be a solution. If JRiver MC supports ISO files, do you think this might be a better solution that ripping to VOB files?
Hendrik would know better than I but I suspect the problem is the lack of dvd navigation and if you rip to an ISO that's still necessary.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: March 31, 2015, 04:24:31 pm »

You would need to rip to MKV or some other "normal" video container for them to play on Linux right now. We do not support DVD navigation on Linux or Mac yet, which is required for both IFO and DVD ISO playback.
Unfortunately, DVD navigation is also quite complex, so it will likely be quite some time before this changes as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

paul.raulerson

• World Citizen
  • Let's get dangerous!
« Reply #623 on: March 31, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »

You would need to rip to MKV or some other "normal" video container for them to play on Linux right now. We do not support DVD navigation on Linux or Mac yet, which is required for both IFO and DVD ISO playback.
Unfortunately, DVD navigation is also quite complex, so it will likely be quite some time before this changes as well.

But it does work already under Windows?  Heck-  I'll flip the ID into the bedroom and just put a Winders box if that solves the problem.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #624 on: April 01, 2015, 03:14:38 am »

Yes, it works on Windows.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Otello

• World Citizen
« Reply #625 on: April 09, 2015, 07:31:48 pm »

[...].

So our task is to either
1) Update the tags in all of the files on your windows PC, clear the Id library, move the files to the Id again and re-import them on the Id.
2) Find a way to use the library database on the Id.

I don't think option 2 is available at this time because of the path and character translation issues I mentioned before.

Hi Bob,

I'm on day 2 with the Id and I have a similar issue, except that my files are on a NAS mapped on both Windows and the Id.
Unfortunately #1 is not an option for me, as I have many SACD ISOs (plus some custom tags); I restored the Windows library - at least I got my JRemote settings - but of course there's the problem of slash-backslash translation.
I'm just wondering: could it work with a new option in Remove, Move & Copy File/Find & Replace for flipping the slashes in the files paths?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: April 10, 2015, 01:49:08 pm »

I'm just wondering: could it work with a new option in Remove, Move & Copy File/Find & Replace for flipping the slashes in the files paths?
Perhaps. It would also have to take into account the drive: part of the path.

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #627 on: April 11, 2015, 09:12:19 pm »

hi Bob,

is there a way to disable USB power in the Id menu settings?  thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #628 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:30 pm »

No.  Why do you want to?

emovac1

• Recent member
« Reply #629 on: April 11, 2015, 10:53:29 pm »

No.  Why do you want to?

Minimize any potential conflct / interference in the USB cable between power and data.  The DAC the USB routes to is self powered.  Certain manufacturers make two headed USB cables, one carries data, one carries power.  after the unit connects, the power USB A can be disconnected to prevent radiation.

not a big deal, just curious if the feature was available.   The Id is one smokin' great device.  Have well over 60 hours on mine so far since setting up.  Absolutely Love it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #630 on: April 12, 2015, 06:42:58 am »

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: April 12, 2015, 06:53:31 am »

The Id is one smokin' great device.  Have well over 60 hours on mine so far since setting up.  Absolutely Love it.
Thanks.  Nice to hear that.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #632 on: April 12, 2015, 08:54:59 am »

After trying to set up a Raspberry Pi with a Wolfson audio card as a music streaming device, I guess I'm ready for the Id.

I would like to know why there is no other digital audio output than the USB socket. I would have thought that a digital outlet like S/PDIF wouldn't be so difficult to add. Also I'm interested if it's possible for me to change the hard drive for a bigger one, as I would like to add all my music files to the Id. Is it then possible to order one without a hard drive?

Sorry if one of my questions was asked - and answered - before. I read a lot here, but not everything.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #633 on: April 12, 2015, 10:24:03 am »

After trying to set up a Raspberry Pi with a Wolfson audio card as a music streaming device, I guess I'm ready for the Id.

I would like to know why there is no other digital audio output than the USB socket. I would have thought that a digital outlet like S/PDIF wouldn't be so difficult to add. Also I'm interested if it's possible for me to change the hard drive for a bigger one, as I would like to add all my music files to the Id. Is it then possible to order one without a hard drive?

Sorry if one of my questions was asked - and answered - before. I read a lot here, but not everything.

Thanks!
I would like to know why there is no other digital audio output than the USB socket.
HDMI is also digital.
I would have thought that a digital outlet like S/PDIF wouldn't be so difficult to add.
It wasn't available on the NUC we chose.
Also I'm interested if it's possible for me to change the hard drive for a bigger one, as I would like to add all my music files to the Id. Is it then possible to order one without a hard drive?
It isn't, but we also sell it with a 1TB and a 2TB drive.

http://www.jriver.com/Id

emovac1

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions? (REPAIRS)
« Reply #634 on: April 12, 2015, 12:50:06 pm »

My question:  if the Id has a component failure (e.g. hard drive,) can they be sent in for repairs when they are out of warranty, and restored either online or via USB stick using the original license.  I've had a couple of drives crash, so I'm curious if you will fix them at a nominal cost for the repair, etc.

I am using this as a server, and it absolutely rocks.  I can go the renderer route too, but server via JRemote and USB to the DAC sounds the best IMO.   thanks

Robert

JimH's response:  

This was answered a few weeks ago on the forum.  We will provide some repairs.

Hans Dampf

« Reply #635 on: April 12, 2015, 01:06:02 pm »

Thanks for the prompt answer and sorry: it must have been a while that I checked the Id site  ;D

Hans Dampf

« Reply #636 on: April 12, 2015, 01:51:09 pm »

HDMI is also digital.It wasn't available on the NUC we chose.It isn't, but we also sell it with a 1TB and a 2TB drive.

Obviously there's no other way than HDMI or USB (I just checked Intel's NUC-site). If I'd chose HDMI I then would need another box: a HDMI splitter to seperate the audio signal from the video signal. I then would have S/PDIF.

I think, the JRiver Id with the Media Center is the best solution for my spartanic set-up. Should fit underneath the couch.  8)

(I don't have a 'normal' Hi-Fi system, as I don't have a TV (don't watch TV) and recently switched to active boxes with a direct input of analogue and digital audio signal: no extra amplifier.)

edstiles

« Reply #637 on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:19 pm »

Two questions:

First, would it be possible to purchase the Id from JRiver with no hard drive and just the USB install kit? I'd like to use a larger Solid State drive than what is available, and this would allow me to experiment with a laptop or old PC as well if I wanted to (based on the comment above that the USB stick can be used for more than one install). I want to use USB output for WAV, FLAC and DSD music formats.

Second, I'm not clear if the Id can output DSD to USB, I've seen conflicting information on the site?

I intend to use this with my Geek Pulse DAC (if it ever arrives) and Geek Pulse LPS (Linear Power Supply), I'm exploring options on both NUC power ( a linear power suppy ) and USB power with a split cable allowing the the Geek Pulse LPS to provide USB Power. I'm currently using an Oppo 95 to stream WAV and FLAC and am happy with the results.

All my music is stored on a Netgear NAS, and is either upsampled CD or high res downloads, PCM and DSD from HDTrack or similar. I plan on streaming from the Netgear NAS to the ID via switched Gigabit Ethernet.

Posted this earlier in the USB Install section, but didn't get an authoritative answer. I'm ready to buy once I get some answers and understand my options.

Thanks,

-Ed

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:17 pm »

You could purchase a NUC anywhere and use the USB Kit to provision it.

edstiles

Re: JRiver Id Questions? - Had two...One answered...
« Reply #639 on: April 15, 2015, 10:31:56 am »

Two questions:

First, - Was answered...partially - concerning the hardware aspect.   I also need info as want to use USB output for WAV, FLAC and DSD music formats which leads to the question below....

(Second Question) I'm not clear if the Id can output DSD to USB, I've seen conflicting information on the site? I've seen DSD to HDMI, but nothing that specifically states DSD to USB outputs.

Can you clarify???

Thanks,

-Ed

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: April 16, 2015, 11:36:11 am »

The Id will currently do DSD with DoPE encoding.
Your chosen device must support this.

MDCry

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions-without computer?
« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2015, 10:13:32 pm »

If I load my music onto the id or use an external drive can I directly connect it via USB to my rotel 1570preamp with dac? I currently have our family laptop connected that way but I want to free up the laptop for nomad use and have a dedicated music player. I currently use jremote as my controller in iPad and it works like a charm. My JRiver v19 on my laptop I do a tiny bit of equilization but not much.

Will the id work without a computer if directly connected to the rotel?

Let me know if the answer is yes and I will order one!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:10 am »

If I load my music onto the id or use an external drive can I directly connect it via USB to my rotel 1570preamp with dac? I currently have our family laptop connected that way but I want to free up the laptop for nomad use and have a dedicated music player. I currently use jremote as my controller in iPad and it works like a charm. My JRiver v19 on my laptop I do a tiny bit of equilization but not much.

Will the id work without a computer if directly connected to the rotel?

Let me know if the answer is yes and I will order one!

Thanks in advance,

Mark
If your DAC is supported by the generic linux usb audio driver the Id will do what you ask with either internal or external storage.
You'll need to run it in gui mode with a monitor once to setup the specifics for your storage and output device.

JoeyGS

• Recent member
« Reply #643 on: April 17, 2015, 09:19:54 pm »

Can an Id be installed in a Pogoplug device?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: April 17, 2015, 09:26:42 pm »

I don't think so.

MDCry

• Recent member
« Reply #645 on: April 17, 2015, 10:52:31 pm »

If your DAC is supported by the generic linux usb audio driver the Id will do what you ask with either internal or external storage.
You'll need to run it in gui mode with a monitor once to setup the specifics for your storage and output device.

Thanks for the info. My rotel 1570 preamp with wolfston dac doesn't mention anything about Linux USB drivers? I know for anything over 96k I need the rotel USB driver installed. How can I confirm if the id will for sure work with the rotel 1570? I guess I should email rotel?
I'm hoping to order an id soon just want to confirm the dac stuff.
Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:38 am »

The Id could be set to convert anything that is over 96K.  DSP Studio > Output Settings.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #647 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:13 am »

How do I get the Id to store the library of the music files stored on an external USB drive (R-W enabled)? I currently have to reload the USB library each time I shutdown and restart MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: April 20, 2015, 06:49:31 am »

How do I get the Id to store the library of the music files stored on an external USB drive (R-W enabled)? I currently have to reload the USB library each time I shutdown and restart MC.
You should be able to import them as you would in any other version of MC.  That's how I use it right now.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #649 on: April 20, 2015, 07:11:30 am »

You should be able to import them as you would in any other version of MC.  That's how I use it right now.

I'm importing as you are, but MC is not saving the library.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 26   Go Up