INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Id Questions?  (Read 367703 times)

jd7744

• Recent member
Re: JRiver Id Questions?
« Reply #400 on: December 31, 2014, 01:10:01 pm »

A few questions/problems:
1 - Having difficulty accessing music files on WD My Cloud NAS. ID sees the NAS as a library. I can't access it from the file menu. Is there a reason why I can't find it in the file list? At the same time, I originally loaded music from a USB attached drive and that drive continues to show in "ournas" even though I've long since disconnected it.
2 - the files imported with the NAS as a library were imported without ratings and some of the tag data is wrong. For instance, artist sometimes appears as album or song name appears as album. Most are correct however. I use this same source on pc based MC20 and all tag info is correct. Most troubling is ratings loss as many of my playlists trigger on it.
3 - Also can't get it to upgrade to MC20 using main menu item 12.
All and any help appreciated.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #401 on: January 01, 2015, 06:33:52 am »

Additional info to my last...after bringing the ID back to original state #77 refresh I tried again to upgrade with #12. The ID is now running over 24 hours and does no respond to keyboard, mouse or a touch to the on/off button.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #402 on: January 01, 2015, 08:48:14 am »

Additional info to my last...after bringing the ID back to original state #77 refresh I tried again to upgrade with #12. The ID is now running over 24 hours and does no respond to keyboard, mouse or a touch to the on/off button.

This has similarly happened to me and others before although I didn't wait an hour before restarting the Id. Try this: remove power plug from Id then wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and restarting. This always brings the Id back to life for me.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #403 on: January 01, 2015, 12:32:34 pm »

Yes thanks that works and its now upgraded to 20.0.50. I still have the problem of the library missing ratings field and some fields appearing in the wrong. I've replicated this on a PC running MC20 as well. It seems to happen when this library is loaded directly from the NAS. The NAS library is listed under "Playing from" as "MyCloud" since its a DNLA capable device. On the PC I can use the "Main Library" and load it via auto-import (tools-options-library&folders-configure auto import) from the NAS files directly. As the Main library on the PC, all meta information is correct and included. Unfortunately, auto-import on the ID does not recognize or "see" the NAS so I can't load the Main library the same way.

BrianZ

• Recent member
« Reply #404 on: January 01, 2015, 02:24:58 pm »

After weeks of normal operation, today I did a update, worked once after , and after a restart now it is not working at all.  All I get is on boot main menu window is Directory not found,  I tried restarting with default settings too, and file not found in the directory. so the OS is booted but lost the directory to boot the application, I did nothing but power off and back on even booting in text mode,  all I get is "no such file or directory settings" .  Any help as now I have no play at all.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #405 on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:05 pm »

Jim, this only changes the name shown in MC, but it does not change the name showing in Mac's Finder, Windows File Explorer etc—that name is still the old hostname containing the MAC address. I would like to change that name, because that is what shows on all of my network devices. Thanks!

I would like to second the request to be able to change the name of the ID itself....as opposed to changing it just in MC....for Rafal's  reasons above ...

.......and also, using Gizmo, the name name assigned by MC will show up under "Choose Where to Play".
But the old Id-CO3xxxxxxxx still shows under "Choose A Server to Play From".

I have one ID installed with another two on the way....it's gonna get messy without renaming.

Another thing that would help with multiple ID's is with Gizmo, when it displays under Playing Now 'Playing to XXXX' tap to change',
it would be very helpful to also display which Server it is playing from.

Many thx for any attention.  Mark

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #406 on: January 05, 2015, 03:44:17 pm »

I would like to second the request to be able to change the name of the ID itself....as opposed to changing it just in MC....for Rafal's  reasons above ...

.......and also, using Gizmo, the name name assigned by MC will show up under "Choose Where to Play".
But the old Id-CO3xxxxxxxx still shows under "Choose A Server to Play From".

I have one ID installed with another two on the way....it's gonna get messy without renaming.

Another thing that would help with multiple ID's is with Gizmo, when it displays under Playing Now 'Playing to XXXX' tap to change',
it would be very helpful to also display which Server it is playing from.

Many thx for any attention.  Mark
A way to change the Id name will be in the next system update.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #407 on: January 05, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »

After weeks of normal operation, today I did a update, worked once after , and after a restart now it is not working at all.  All I get is on boot main menu window is Directory not found,  I tried restarting with default settings too, and file not found in the directory. so the OS is booted but lost the directory to boot the application, I did nothing but power off and back on even booting in text mode,  all I get is "no such file or directory settings" .  Any help as now I have no play at all.
See this message for instructions on reloading the Id firmware.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94636.0

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: January 05, 2015, 05:10:20 pm »

Yes thanks that works and its now upgraded to 20.0.50. I still have the problem of the library missing ratings field and some fields appearing in the wrong. I've replicated this on a PC running MC20 as well. It seems to happen when this library is loaded directly from the NAS. The NAS library is listed under "Playing from" as "MyCloud" since its a DNLA capable device. On the PC I can use the "Main Library" and load it via auto-import (tools-options-library&folders-configure auto import) from the NAS files directly. As the Main library on the PC, all meta information is correct and included. Unfortunately, auto-import on the ID does not recognize or "see" the NAS so I can't load the Main library the same way.
When the NAS is loaded as a DLNA server we can only use the information the server provided.
When you use the NAS as a file server MC can parse the files for all of the information they contain.
We are planning on adding a function on the Id to allow the mounting of a NAS file server. There are some potential pitfalls with this so it may or may not make the next firmware update.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #409 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:58 pm »

This has similarly happened to me and others before although I didn't wait an hour before restarting the Id. Try this: remove power plug from Id then wait 30 seconds before plugging it back in and restarting. This always brings the Id back to life for me.
This sounds like the hardware is getting locked up for some reason or another.
Is this with an external DAC?

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2015, 07:31:37 pm »

Thank you Bob and I appreciate all the work that's gone into making the Id. I'm surprised the rating info doesn't get passed along as part of the meta data although I've experienced same with iTunes. I assume there's nothing that can be done about this...something in the way the files are saved? In any case, I hope it can come in a release soon.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #411 on: January 06, 2015, 02:14:36 am »

This sounds like the hardware is getting locked up for some reason or another.
Is this with an external DAC?

Yes--Resonessence Concero and PS Audio PWD DACs

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: January 06, 2015, 01:21:20 pm »

Thank you Bob and I appreciate all the work that's gone into making the Id. I'm surprised the rating info doesn't get passed along as part of the meta data although I've experienced same with iTunes. I assume there's nothing that can be done about this...something in the way the files are saved? In any case, I hope it can come in a release soon.
The NAS can only provide metadata defined by the spec when used as a DLNA server. There is not a rating item for audio in the ContentDirectory spec. There IS a rating extension defined by twonky and we support that. It's likely your NAS isn't providing it however.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #413 on: January 06, 2015, 01:31:25 pm »

Thanks. The WD does Twonky which I tried but did it get ratings. Did I miss a setting maybe? Can look again later today.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: January 06, 2015, 02:02:32 pm »

2 - the files imported with the NAS as a library were imported without ratings and some of the tag data is wrong. For instance, artist sometimes appears as album or song name appears as album. Most are correct however. I use this same source on pc based MC20 and all tag info is correct. Most troubling is ratings loss as many of my playlists trigger on it.
Are you saying the PC based MC20 gets all of the fields right AND the ratings but the Id version of MC does not?

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #415 on: January 06, 2015, 02:22:49 pm »

Not exactly. If I load the main library by referencing the music file directory on the NAS, all information including ratings is correct. I've been doing this for years with MC, moving to my music files to different locations and file sources whether on the PC, a network drive or attaching a usb drive (all for personal use btw). I've only just realized that the ratings are lost if I load a library from the WD NAS which shows up as an alternative library ..never needed to use that method before since every instance of MC I've used in the past could recognize the network file server. The only reference I have to this problem is loading a music directory used by MC into iTunes where the ratings are similarly lost. That problem is solved by using MCiTunes as discussed elsewhere in this forum. Hope this is clear.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #416 on: January 06, 2015, 02:53:32 pm »

Not exactly. If I load the main library by referencing the music file directory on the NAS, all information including ratings is correct. I've been doing this for years with MC, moving to my music files to different locations and file sources whether on the PC, a network drive or attaching a usb drive (all for personal use btw). I've only just realized that the ratings are lost if I load a library from the WD NAS which shows up as an alternative library ..never needed to use that method before since every instance of MC I've used in the past could recognize the network file server. The only reference I have to this problem is loading a music directory used by MC into iTunes where the ratings are similarly lost. That problem is solved by using MCiTunes as discussed elsewhere in this forum. Hope this is clear.
Ok, then it is as I thought. The PC is parsing the files directly.
If you think the NAS is providing the twonky style ratings you could do a wireshark trace and limit it to the Id and the NAS, load the library and capture a few seconds of that. If we could see what it's actually presenting that would answer the question definitively.

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #417 on: January 06, 2015, 03:06:44 pm »

I'll look at the documentation and see if I can do the capture....looks like its not just download and run!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #418 on: January 06, 2015, 04:42:21 pm »

I'll look at the documentation and see if I can do the capture....looks like its not just download and run!
There's a little advice on the topic in the wiki.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sharing_Plug-in_Debugging_Hints

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: January 06, 2015, 05:46:08 pm »

Yes--Resonessence Concero and PS Audio PWD DACs
I wonder if the DAC's aren't getting closed on shutdown and that makes them hang the system.
It might be lead us in a direction if you
hit stop in MC
unplugged the DAC from the Id USB port
then tried the reboot.
and see if the result is different.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2015, 07:05:19 pm »

Excellent! Thanks,  Mark

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2015, 08:03:41 pm »

How can I send you file? 180 mb. can share Dropbox location

jd7744

• Recent member
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2015, 08:37:00 pm »

Interesting finding you all probably know already but was a discovery for me. I had intended to plug the Id into the audio input of my Sonos system and play my MC library via the line in selection in the Sonos app. A hardwire approach. I discovered that I could do this wirelessly by selecting the head unit of the Sonos system under Playing Now in MC. That is, the unit all other units are linked to and thereby synched to. I found this also works on a Logitech system with multiple LMS renderers (Touch, Duo, etc - I have one in each of three rooms in another home). Whats interesting is that synching is controlled by either Sonos or LMS. There's a comment elsewhere in this forum suggesting that the current DLNA standard doesn't yet deal with synching but this solves the problem.

Rafal Lukawiecki

• World Citizen
« Reply #423 on: January 07, 2015, 06:15:09 am »

Thanks, Bob, much appreciated by someone who likes all their networked devices to look elegant in lists, menus, file browsers etc. :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:11 am »

How can I send you file? 180 mb. can share Dropbox location
Sure, send me a PM with the location.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: January 09, 2015, 11:29:45 am »

Have just been playing with my new ID and cannot seem to get it to boot from the text or GUI menu.  The only way I can get it to boot is to long press the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on.  It will then boot to the menu option I selected.  It seems to stop at different places during boot.  Sometimes on the Intel NUC screen, sometimes it gets to the scrolling text screen and then stops (at different places.)  It has also stopped at the big JRiver logo (only once).  I have checked my bios version (34) and have checked the power menu in the bios and turned PCIE ASPM off as indicated earlier in this thread but to no avail.  Fan is running and there are no temperature issues according to the bios.  I can get it to play via USB to my DAC but had no luck getting multi-channel to play via hdmi (and hdmi would cut off the start of my music when playing in stereo.  I set the "play silence" parameter up to 6 seconds but it would only wait 6 seconds before cutting off the start of my track.)  I just wanted to check to see if I am doing anything wrong before I send the unit back. 

Thanks,
John
This sounds like a hardware issue, you should send it back.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #426 on: January 16, 2015, 12:19:41 pm »

Two Id's with same access key?

Hi, recently purchased two Id's to go with one already in service.
These two have the same access key.

What do I do?  Thx, mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #427 on: January 16, 2015, 12:31:33 pm »

You could use the GUI to get a new Access Key.  Tools > Options > Media Network.  Turn Media Network off and back on.  It will generate a key.

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #428 on: January 16, 2015, 12:49:13 pm »

You could use the GUI to get a new Access Key.  Tools > Options > Media Network.  Turn Media Network off and back on.  It will generate a key.

OK thx.  Tried that twice, second time with reboot in between turning Media Network off and back on.
Generated the same key

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #429 on: January 16, 2015, 01:07:13 pm »

I was wrong.  Click on the key itself (in options) and select "reset".

mcw

• Recent member
« Reply #430 on: January 16, 2015, 01:17:24 pm »

I was wrong.  Click on the key itself (in options) and select "reset".

Got it.  Worked fine.  I was going to just try that right off but thought i would ask first.....
Thanks for quick replies !

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #431 on: January 16, 2015, 02:32:28 pm »

Two Id's with same access key?

Hi, recently purchased two Id's to go with one already in service.
These two have the same access key.

What do I do?  Thx, mark
That's weird. The access key is supposed to be unique. We'll need to check into that...

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #432 on: January 17, 2015, 03:34:32 am »

See Tools>Options>Audio>Audio Device>Device Settings

What is Period Time..what does it do? What are the units?
Thanx

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #433 on: January 19, 2015, 12:33:49 pm »

See Tools>Options>Audio>Audio Device>Device Settings

What is Period Time..what does it do? What are the units?
Thanx
That and buffer time control latency. They are in milliseconds.
The lower period time is the more cpu will be required by playback and the smaller the latency.

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2015, 10:41:22 pm »

That and buffer time control latency. They are in milliseconds.
The lower period time is the more cpu will be required by playback and the smaller the latency.

Why is the default buffer size for MC Id (500,000 ms) orders of magnitude greater than for, say,  MC Windows WASAPI mode  (100  ms)?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #435 on: January 20, 2015, 02:36:59 am »

Actually, the unit of the period and buffer time configured for ALSA is microseconds (µs), so its just 500ms and not 500,000
Not sure why we decided to allow full precision for configuration, configuring this in milliseconds would've been fine too.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

whatcomfalls

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #436 on: January 20, 2015, 02:55:37 am »

Actually, the unit of the period and buffer time configured for ALSA is microseconds (µs), so its just 500ms and not 500,000
Not sure why we decided to allow full precision for configuration, configuring this in milliseconds would've been fine too.
Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #437 on: January 20, 2015, 07:04:31 am »

Why is the default buffer size for MC Id (500,000 ms) orders of magnitude greater than for, say,  MC Windows WASAPI mode  (100  ms)?
It probably shouldn't be.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2015, 09:21:11 am »

Sorry, my hasty typing mistake.

ClassicalDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #439 on: January 20, 2015, 02:13:24 pm »

The JRiver Id seems like a product I'd find useful. I am currently running MC 20 on a MacBook Pro connected to the QNAP HT-210 (NAS), but I'm tired of having to hook up to USB and ethernet (I have found wifi to be unreliable with DSD and >96/24 FLAC) cables and take the MacBook out of commission when listening to music. I have used JRemote from an iPhone but am not pleased with the lack of multi-tiered browsing (like composer > genre > year - album) that I find very useful for my classical library.

Can I control the Id from my MacBook Pro and use the JRiver interface with the various custom views I have set up for browsing my classical music library?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #440 on: January 20, 2015, 02:38:51 pm »

You can play to the Id from your Mac, using the interface on your Mac.

ClassicalDJ

• Recent member
« Reply #441 on: January 21, 2015, 03:30:19 pm »

You can play to the Id from your Mac, using the interface on your Mac.

Do you mean that my MacBook will push audio data to the JRiver Id via DLNA (or similar method) or that the MacBook will control the Id as a sort of remote as the Id plays files from the NAS? For me gapless playback for everything up through multichannel DSD is non-negotiable, and I also would like to avoid any situation where audio is being streamed/pushed over wifi.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #442 on: January 22, 2015, 04:22:07 am »

I received my JRIver ID a few weeks ago. I got it working with my Synology diskstation running DLNA. Problem is the playback keeps stopping by itself after some time. I am using gizmo to control the JRiver ID

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #443 on: January 22, 2015, 07:09:30 am »

I received my JRIver ID a few weeks ago. I got it working with my Synology diskstation running DLNA. Problem is the playback keeps stopping by itself after some time. I am using gizmo to control the JRiver ID
I see something like that when my TV screen save comes on.  Turning the TV off fixes the sound problem.  Or hitting the space bar on the keyboard.  It's an HDMI problem.

If you use Gizmo or JRemote to control MC, you can leave the display off.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #444 on: January 22, 2015, 07:46:32 am »

JRiver ID is currently running on Headless Text mode. There's no GUI running and monitor is not connected. There is also no keyboard or mouse connected.

I see something like that when my TV screen save comes on.  Turning the TV off fixes the sound problem.  Or hitting the space bar on the keyboard.  It's an HDMI problem.

If you use Gizmo or JRemote to control MC, you can leave the display off.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #445 on: January 22, 2015, 09:06:47 am »

What is the output?  Is it using HDMI?  

Try connecting a keyboard and hitting the space bar when it happens.  Just to test.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #446 on: January 22, 2015, 07:58:42 pm »

Output is USB. A DAC is connect through the USB. I will try connecting a keyboard tonight.

I noticed that the playback is sort of stuck. When I look at the Gizmo screen, the track progress bar keeps going back and forth.

What is the output?  Is it using HDMI?  

Try connecting a keyboard and hitting the space bar when it happens.  Just to test.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2015, 10:05:48 am »

Output is USB. A DAC is connect through the USB. I will try connecting a keyboard tonight.

I noticed that the playback is sort of stuck. When I look at the Gizmo screen, the track progress bar keeps going back and forth.

What's the format of the audio tracks you are playing?
It's not possible that the Synology is sleeping is it?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: January 23, 2015, 05:47:21 pm »

That's weird. The access key is supposed to be unique. We'll need to check into that...
It was an issue with the Id generation process.
If you got an Id in the last month or so you should probably reset that key.

boring

• Recent member
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2015, 01:02:33 am »

All tracks are FLAC. Synology doesn't have sleep enabled.

What's the format of the audio tracks you are playing?
It's not possible that the Synology is sleeping is it?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 26   Go Up