INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for files and folders  (Read 1146 times)

Forgisound

• Recent member
Searching for files and folders
« on: August 15, 2014, 05:22:32 am »

Hi,
I bought MC 20 upgrade.
But I want to be in this version allow searching of files and folders on the HDD.
I have a lot of audio files and do not have time to edit the MC library. For this reason, I can not even browse files. Although I like the sound of the MC, the lack of real me a lot of problems. For Foobar2000 search files on the disk is great solved. I would like to also get rid of the MC.
Best,
Forgisound

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Searching for files and folders
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:54 am »

You can search by folder name now.  Just open the Files view in the tree on the left first.  Then use the search window in the upper right.

Better would be to abandon folder browsing and adapt to the database method MC uses.  You can use your file and folder names to tag the files, to get started.  The Library Tools can do this for you.  Fill Properties from filename can also include the directory name.

Forgisound

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:57 am »

I'll split this to a new thread.

You can search by folder name now.  Just open the Files view in the tree on the left first.  Then use the search window in the upper right.

Better would be to abandon folder browsing and adapt to the database method MC uses.  You can use your file and folder names to tag the files, to get started.  The Library Tools can do this for you.  Fill Properties from filename can also include the directory name.

Option search folders and files you suggested is unusable slow.
I know 3 audiophiles who use Foobar2000 just because it can search the folders and files. And gladly would use Media Center because it sounds a little better. There's many more of these do not know.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 02:06:29 pm »

At the top of the window, there are two options:

[ ] Show files in folders  [ ] Show only files in library

Try those.

It would be better to transition from the method you're using to a search of the library.  It requires good tags, but it is easy to tag your files.  See the Library Tools.

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 03:13:23 pm »

Option search folders and files you suggested is unusable slow.

are you sure you are doing what Jim suggested -- this is virtually instantaneous for me (maybe you have a bigger library, mine has 90K+ songs but that is not considered big). If you have 500K songs it should be fast. Oh you lmight try putting a reverse slash in front (see screenshot)

I know 3 audiophiles who use Foobar2000 just because it can search the folders and files. And gladly would use Media Center because it sounds a little better. There's many more of these do not know.
as long a album artist song track and album are in the file name, JRiver can import and tag these automatically.  If they are audiophiles, they know how to rip coherently; maybe they don't know this is possible? You can also set up masks in external programs that are free to do the same thing. Foobar probably can do it too for that matter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up